MagicJack game discussions

Discussion in 'magicJack' started by MRAD12, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Still on the beach. Will let you guys know of my MagicJack game experience when I get back home to Chicago tomorrow.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D Enjoy your last day at the beach, friend.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My time at the MagicJack vs. Beat game. May 8, 2011.

Part I

I finally have some time to share my thoughts and experience while at the MagicJack vs. Atlanta Beat game last Sunday May 8 at FAU Boca Raton, FL.

The ride from my hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to Boca was roughly around 40 minutes. Although I pre-mapped everything before I left Chicago, including which street/road to turn on off of 95, I still missed the exit. Enjoying the sun too much and not paying attention for my turn, and when I saw the airport to my right, I had realized I missed the turn. So I went to the next exit about a mile down and turned back and got off on Glades Road where I was supposed to before. Turned left, proceeded over the highway and about a ¼ of a mile saw the sign to turn left into FAU.

I turn into the campus looking for signs that may say “WPS game today” or "Magicjack vs. Atlanta Beat" or anything to that affect. But saw nothing. I do see some soccer fields on the left as I drive further, but no one on them. So I proceeded to drive further following some signs to Athletic Fields. I still see no stadium. At this time I am about to stop and look for anyone walking around to ask them where the women’s pro team is playing, when I see a few cars parked in a parking lot around a building so I make another left on a short campus road and pull into the parking lot where I see a family tailgating in a corner of the lot. So I’m thinking this is probably it. I see another couple a few spots away from where I park getting out of their car so to be sure, I go up to them and ask, Is this where MagicJack plays? They said, yes and instructed me to go down this one path and I’ll see the field.

I got there about 15 minutes after 3:00 and there was no one charging parking fee. So I'm assuming parking for MagicJack games at FAU is free. Unless only on Sundays or something.

I proceed to the entrance of the field where there were ladies selling tickets to the game. I buy me a General Admission ticket and walk toward the field. On my left before you get inside the actual field is a little mobile where they were selling drinks, sweets and food. Everyone I talked to at this point was very nice and helpfull.
    I bought me a big hotdog and a water for I believe it was 4$ all together and walked on to the field. I also find out that there is a beer garden on the opposite end and I quickly make up my mind that at half time that will be a place I visit.

Both teams were now warming up in full.

The stands are on the left side as you walk in. There are what looks like permanent stands in the middle with temporary stands on each side along the whole side-line. Seating was only on one side.
    People were starting to trickle in. Those of you who know me know that I’m a socializer and it doesn’t take long to find someone to talk to about the team, game, WPS, etc. I do some small chit-chat with a lady who had brought her daughter. I ask her how she found out about the game and if the team has local advertising and she said there was very little advertising and promotion that she knew about. She found out about the team some other way but I forgot what she said.
    In fact as I get into some of the aspects of my experience here, this was a common theme among people I talked to, was a disappointment over little promotion of the team.

Now my focus was turned toward the players as they warmed up. There was Abby and Ella and I stood and watched Solo and Loyden warm up.
    I was standing close to the field that had a rope separating the fans from the players on the field. The field itself is a typical mid-level college soccer field. I didn't see a permanent press booth. Everything was temp. Very different from my last WPS game at Toyota Park where the Red Stars played where you had suites and a Club house, huge press box, concession stands all around the concourse(s), etc.
    But I promised my self not to compare this stadium negatively or positively with an MLS stadium like Toyota Park but judge my experience through the merits of what was there.
    The grass was in good shape. And the field, although somewhat not as wide as most, was plenty long.

I see Marian Dalmy come close to where I was standing and I yell out to her, “There’s my Red Stars Captain!” She turned and gave me a smile.

By now more and more people were coming through the gate. Moms, dads, kids, youth teams, etc. No different then the crowd that used to come into Toyota Park for Red Stars games.

I thought what a beautiful, warm and perfectly sunny day to watch a pro game in wonderful South Florida, as a plane lands at the airport which is right next to the stadium.

Part ll - tomorrow.
    I'll share what I though about the game, the crowd, the staff, and the teams.
    Did the players sign autographs for the fans after the game??
    And even a thing or two about Mr. Borislow.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your report & I eagerly await Part II.

I'm out of rep for you, though. Hope someone can cover.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Made a couple adjustments to my MJ game post. The stands are actually on your left as you walk in to the field and also, General Admission was $10.

6. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Covered.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

8. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Thanks for the report. Those are the sort of details that I like hearing about. I hope to hear more about the beer tent.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My time at the MagicJack vs. Beat game. May 8, 2011.

Part ll

It is now close to game-time more people are coming into the stadium. I hear one lady comment that this is a pretty good crowd for no promotions. I see Mr. Fitz Johnson at the other end of the stands with his wife and I go over to say hi. I met him last year a couple of times at Red Stars games and found him to be a very nice guy. Very approacheable and willing to talk soccer.
    After some small talk I go back to ther other end where the entrance is and a couple ladies that looked like official staff. One had a badge hanging around her neck. I go up to her and ask her who she was and I believe she said she was Melanie Fitzgerald (at times I'm bad at remembering names) who I find out later is Manager of League Operations. We chit-chat a little about the league and I tell her about my disappointment that Chicago Red Stars opting not to play this year and I ask her if she reads BigSoccer and she said yes. I reveal who I am on the boards and ask her not to take anything personal from us posters concerning the league or teams. We are just engaged fans who care about the success of the league and only when there is no talk anymore is when the league should worry. She agreed.

The starting 11 is now being introduced and I take my SOX hat off for the National Anthem.

The game begins, I stay in the northeast corner of the field.
    The game itself was pretty much a one sided affair. MJ goal came on Lipsher's inability to hold on to what looked like a high shot or high cross from my end of the field. At first it looked like she had it then she lost it and Ella Masar was there to head it in the goal.
    BTW, Ella Masar is playing so much better then when she did for Emma Hayes. She is a little dynamo running around everywhere, always fighting for the ball. There was one point where it looked to me like she outjumped Lipsher for the ball.
    MagicJack, I would say had 60-70% of the ball in the game. There were times when Atlanta didn't pass midfield for extended stretches. Heather Mitts was dressed but did not play. It seemed like only Lori Chalupny on the Beat was matching the skill of MJ. But she was alone. In fact she took a couple what looked like desperation shots from too far distances at Hope Solo with no danger of hitting target.
    Also I want to add, Marian Dalmy does not get the recoginition she deserves.
    I also realize Becky Saurbrunn is a pretty damn good player.

You could hear the MJ coaches yelling instructions from across the field and I asked someone standing next to me if that was Mr. Borislow who was also yelling instructions at the players and he (rolling eyes) said yes, it is.

Half time came quickly and I proceeded to experience the beer garden. When I got there there were already a handful of adults enjoying a cold beverage. I looked to see what they had and saw Bud and Bud Light and Heineken and Heineken Light. I chose a regular Heiny which was $4 and put a $1 in the tip jar, said thanks and it tasted a nice and cold. Stood there for a while chatting with a guy who knows some of my soccer associates from Chicago and then went to the other end again to watch the rest of the game.

I looked at the stands to try to estimate how many people were there and my guess was in the mid hundreds or so. I read on the attendance thread that they said there were close to 1,000. Didn't seem like it to me. A far cry from the 3,000 -4,000 I was used to at TP with the CRS.
    But with little or no advertising I was amazed there were this many people.
    The crowd was fairly quite during the game. No chants, no drums, noone yelling at the refs or opposing players, etc.

The second half was much like the first. MJ dominating. Kristen Press scored a nice goal into the left lower corner of the net from a ball that was kicked high in the air with a volley on her right foot.
    A scare came up when Christie Rampone while defending on the northeast corner of the field (close to where I was standing) came up holding the back of her leg and went down on the grass. At first I thought it was a cramp due to the high heat, but after seeing the trainer massage her inner thigh it looked like more of a muscle pull. She left and never came back in the game. Hope she is alright.
    Although MJ had most of the control of the game, it was still to me a professional level game and I saw some very skilled soccer. Except this time instead of being up in my Club level seat like at Toyota Park, I was next to where the action was on the field. Which I didn't mind one bit.

As the game ended I decided to stick around and maybe talk to some former Red Stars players.
    The players of both teams did the after game jogs and stretches. Had their usual chats with coaches, each other after the game and I was wondering if they will sign autographs because there were plenty of kids waiting.
    After what looked like around 10-15 minutes ALL the players from both teams from what I saw (except for Abby Wambach) went to the eager awaiting kids to sign autographs, including Hope Solo, Mitts, Lloyd. All the stars. The next day when I saw Abby on ESPN I understood why she had to go quickly after the game.

Jill Loyden and Lydia Vandenberg were coming my way and I yelled out similar as with Dalmy, "There's my Red Stars Keeper" she saw me and with a big smile that only Loyden can give came over and I talked to them for a few minutes. I told Loyden I had no doubts she will be on the USWNT roster and so it is.
    Ella Masar was making her way toward me by signing a bunch of autographs and when she saw me, said "I see you made it down here". I asked her if she liked playing down here and she said yes. I told her I was happy and glad for her.

By now there were very few people left and I saw what looked like Dan Borislow (from TV commerial) from about 30 yards wave to us and say thank you.

All in all I had a good time. The day was beautiful. The weather was a nice, hot, very sunny South Florida day.

Do I need a fancy MLS stadium like Toyota Park to watch a pro soccer game??
    I love TP but no, I don't need it to enjoy a pro game. But that's me. I'm a soccer junkie. Some of my friends think it is important for a pro team to play in a pro setting.
    One of the Staff members told me that they have plans to make the stadium better and even try to get the men's and women's College Cups one day.

So what's the answer?? Is Borislow correct in what seems at this point in time trying to control costs? Is cost control more important now then how many people you get in the stands?

The Staff that was working all had Magicjack T-shirts on. They were all very nice and helpfull. I didn't see no more then 10 working there. A far cry from Peter Wilt's army of Red Stars employees, especially the first year of Red Stars existence. Did he need 4-5 people in Sales?, all those people in Marketing? and other people who I still had no idea what they did in the Red Stars organization?
    Would the CRS still been in WPS existence if Peter Wilt was as shrewd in his business model of the CRS that first year as Mr. Borislow is with MJ in his??

One thing I want to add, is that the MJ players and staff I spoke to all said that this owner takes very good care of his players.

It was a good soccer day for me. I enjoyed the game and had fun.
    I hope to be back here in August when Marta comes to town.

As I got into my car and drove out of the FAU campus back to my hotel in Ft. Lauderdale I had a local FM chanel on the radio, who at that point decide to play ColdPlay's "When I ruled the World" that reminded me that it was the last song played out of Toyota Park speakers during a tribute the Red Stars players did for their fans while holding a huge banner thanking their fans on the very last game of season one.
    And it brought back memories.

10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Hey, I miss the Red Stars trailer! Luxury accommodations for a small staff.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's still there. But stripped of it's Red Stars name.

12. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    MRAD...
    Thanks for the summary. Until this week I had no clue there was even an wps team playing in south Florida. For some reason I knew there was a new team coming, but I just didn't put two and two together. I will be trying to attend all the home games going forward and dragging as many people with me that i can. At 10$/ticket and a 4$ beer is a bargain in south Florida. Heck a movie ticket here is 8$ and a soda and popcorn is 10$.

I am going to send out the word to my local community blog and the local news stations. There is enough interest down here to increase attendance.

I think it is an interesting strategy to start the organization out small. It provides the women with the ability to play while limiting the overhead costs and thus increasing the likelihood of club financial stability. I also believe this is a good market. If they do a better job getting the team press and get the website going they could have a good turnout. And having the team at fau is smart. You are basically placing the games in the center of three metropolitan areas each of which are massive on their own. Everyone from south miami to palm beach gardens is within a little more then an hour of the match. Baby Steps.

MRAD Let me know if you end up coming down for the Brazil game. If the local Brazilian community gets notice they could show up in numbers and make it a really fun match.

And if anyone else is thinking about regularly attending and want to group up let me know.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MRAD, thanks again for the game report. Great stuff!

14. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MRAD12,

Thanks for the excellent review. You caught the spirit of the place exactly. Good pro soccer in a youth soccer setting. Like you, I'm a soccer nut/junkie & I'll be going back to watch magicJack again, despite the drawbacks. At least it's good stuff at very fair prices - at any other sports venue in SoFL a Heineken is much, much more than $4. And, The Strikers @ Lockhart Stadium are the only one's that can match the ticket prices.

Marta & WNY play at FAU on August 10th @ 7PM, a Wednesday night. I might just have to go to that one myself, if for no other reason than to see Marta play. I hope you can make it, too. We'll bend an elbow at the Beer Garden at halftime...:D

BTW, there are only 2 magicJack games I'll definitely miss: May 28th & July 30th. The Strikers play @ Lockhart Stadium those nights & the choice of which team to watch is very easy....;)...Other than that only family commitments or some such will keep me away. As we've both said, it's the cheapest good show in town.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No lie.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good to see you're still around htide. Haven't seen a post by you in years.
    Go to the games. You will have a good time.
    Especially since your favorite, Hope Solo is playing there. :D

17. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen to Miami Ultras Alive this Monday night at 10 pm as we talk to the Sun Sentinel's Jeff Rusnak. We'll talk magicJack with the reporter that was barred from asking questions at the Philadelphia game. Should be interesting to hear his side.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out some of the things Dan Borislow is claiming in his replies @ Beau Dure's place (sprotsmyriad) and see what the reporter's response is to Dan's "unethical" swipe.

Thanks for covering the team--those of us in other parts of the country need folks like you.

19. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PB9000 is usually a good source. Check www.miamisoccerfan.com for more info & links. Rusnak is, too. See what he has to say at www.sun-sentinel.com on the soccer page of the sports section.

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting news item regarding De Vanna from the Australian website:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...aus_matildas_news_feat_news_item_new&id=39751

"....Lisa De Vanna has been withdrawn from the Westfield Matildas squad for the match against New Zealand today following a breach of team rules..."

I guess this could ultimately benefit magicJack if for some reason this suspension kept her off Australia's World Cup squad, but it's really hard to tell the implications at this point.

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    May 15th, 2011

[WPS] The feuding between Women's Professional Soccer and Dan Borislow, owner of South Florida-based magicJack, continued Saturday when the league announced it had imposed sanctions on Borislow for breach of contract and inappropriate behavior. The announcement came two days after the league had docked unbeaten and untied magicJack a point for failing to comply with league regulations and followed several outbursts by Borislow, who said in one interview the league was "infidels" and he doesn't "do deals with organized crime," and in another interview that WPS was dying and he was doing his best to keep it alive and encourage girls "not be lazy cupcake eaters."

WPS and Borislow have been at odds over magicJack's failure to comply with various game management policies. As a result, the league said it will contract directly with vendors for field boards and match video systems so that the team can meet obligations and will bill the team.

"Women’s Professional Soccer is committed to be the premier women’s soccer league in the world. WPS has taken, and will continue to take, appropriate measures to protect the integrity and future of the league and our brand," said CEO Anne-Marie Eileraas. "When Mr. Borislow purchased an ownership interest in the Washington Freedom, he bought an organization with existing obligations to the league and others. All owners and teams must comply with the league’s operating guidelines, which represent the commitment of WPS and its owners to a high standard of quality and professionalism. WPS has offered the team ample time, options and assistance to ensure that all league standards were met. To our disappointment, the team has failed to meet these standards, and instead of working with his partners to address those failures, Mr. Borislow has chosen to make public statements that reflect a blatant disregard for the truth and are damaging to the best interests of the league. In penalizing the team, WPS has not acted without cause or precedent, and has only taken the action necessary to enforce the regulations of the league."

Borislow had responded that he has been unable to upload the videos and he had a dispute with the signboard vendor over the price and was hoping to resolve other issues.

"I refuse to be a zombie and do things just because the league says,” Borislow told the Miami Herald. “The league is dying, and may not even be around next year, so I am doing what I can to keep it going. The league is overlooking the important thing, which is that we are attracting girls to come watch women’s soccer. We are reaching girls, encouraging them to play soccer and not be lazy cupcake eaters. I’m not trying to make money at this. I’m doing it because there’s a place for women’s soccer and, hopefully, we can work out our differences with the league.’’

5000K and counting in ticket sells for May 22nd's clash of the titan owners, MagicDan vs HotDogMogul

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Did you compile these quotes yourself, or is this a massive copyright violation?

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah. that one. The give away is the lack of Christen Press's name being mentioned anywhere in the post.

Thanks for the link.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    newsouth,

If you are going to quote a source or a person, you should in the future at least say where that quote comes from and/or maybe show a link to the source.