New SKC TV Announcer for 2011 Season

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by banker6901, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hrm, don't know about this move just yet - enjoyed having Sasha on and definitely thought that the two were getting acclimated to each other. Was it perfect? No, but it didn't suck - which actually puts it up there in terms of American soccer commentary (particularly w/in non-national broadcasts).

Anyway, I either hope to be blown away by Sasha's replacement or to see, er, hear him back soon.

2. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes. Glad that Bill O'Reilly was not the one.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Gooch said, I thought Victorine and Williams were developing a good thing in the booth.

4. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For sure. Hopefully good things are happening for Sasha that are pulling him away.

5. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

.... Glen Becks contract isnt being renewed, perhaps he can both prepare us for the end of America, and also call our games.... perhaps those are one in the same

6. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SCIENCE!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTlr14rLAk"]YouTube - Brian Kilmeade Puts His Foot in His Mouth Again[/ame]

7. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This had better be a one time deal. This was the guy that said the infamous "All terrorists are Muslims" after watching the View last year. He's mentioned other races as "other species" and he talks and acts like a moron. Pleeeeease don't let this schmuck be full time.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm sure there will be some people that can't seperate his views on his shows from whatever he talks about during the game...

9. Calwilliams2011

Calwilliams2011 New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Morning guys

Brian is just a one off whilst we sort ourselves out in terms of getting a new color guy. I'm gutted that Sasha is leaving the broadcast, I do feel we've just developed a very good understanding of one another's style on air. However, I understand he has a 3 year old daughter who he wants to spend more time with.

Cheers

Cal

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes total sense especially with the extensive road trip we're on he's basically gone every weekend.

11. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there some reason they shouldn't?

It is hard with entertainment and sports, but I try not to spend my money supporting people I consider blatant douchebags.

12. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know Jeremy Clarkson? I know he doesn't like sport that much but I could put up with his political views long enough to enjoy him in the booth with you.

13. kareemcheese

kareemcheese Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted this on The Sporting Way -

Couldn't find anyone else, huh?

With all the sports announcers and sports announcer "want to be"s out there why get someone with baggage (rightly or wrongly). I won't want Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann or Michelle Malkin either.

Dennis Miller, Rush Limbaugh, Jason Whitlock...just didn't' seem to work out that well with them. Seems like an unnecessary distraction.

Callum Williams is a good choice - and someone SKC can build on. He began well and is getting better each game. He could be a Kevin Harlan of soccer, maybe even an Ian Darke. Give him a former professional player to pair with.

14. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Meh, its one time in New York -- 90 minutes and done.

15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And think about the alternative....would you rather listen to Shep Messing? :eek::eek::eek:

16. Chris Holzman

Chris Holzman New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wichita
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that if we're watching on Matchday Live, we probably *will* be listening to Shep Messing.

I don't know why, but it seems like our audio feeds don't generally get much love from MDL.

17. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you get to "enjoy" hearing him hate on us again. Man I do not envy you.

As far as Sasha leaving (at least for now), I feel a lot better about it if it was his decision and it was because of family. His daughter comes first and I 100% respect that. I do not have a kid, so I can't imagine what its like to be gone every weekend from your kid. Gotta be hard for baseball players with families. Gone all the time.

18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup.

exactly. it's not like he's an actor. he's saying all that stuff on his own. i'd rather not have "douchebags," as yilmazorhan so delicately put it, representing my club in any fashion.

no, but why can't we try it with JUST cal. sasha wasn't bad, but let's be honest, 50-75% of what he says is just filler, is obvious, and could be done without.

19. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure Cal has any desire to be alone on the broadcast. We were chatting about it this morning and I think he really liked having Sasha with not just because they clicked on the broadcast but also because Sasha had played the game and he could actually lean on that knowledge a bit or at least use it to lend weight to what he was saying on air.

It will be interesting to see who the long term replacement is. Any other players other than Garcia local?

20. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's not like Brian doesn't know soccer...

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/17304662"]Reflections on the NSCAA Advanced National Diploma - Brian Kilmeade on Vimeo[/ame]

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rideout, he did a game with Porter a few years ago. He's too dry though.

22. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Would it be absolutely ridiculous of me to say I think Josh Whisenhunt would be a perfect fill for Sasha? I've always really liked his color commentary (ish) and think he'd do a great job.

23. Jweav24

Jweav24 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya Know, I was thinking the exact same thing today. The episode of "Off the Pitch" when Josh joined Cal, I thought was the best episode yet. Josh brought a whole new level of energy and enthusiam and I thought the pairing of Josh and Cal was great. I don't know if Josh would have any desire to do the broadcast, but if he did, I certainly think it would be great.

24. dr_gooch41

dr_gooch41 New Member

May 6, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this interesting today: The main reason given for Sasha stepping aside is that he "was focusing on other duties within the organization."

That felt like code for "demotion" to me. So, I got a little more clarification and found out something I didn't know: Sasha Victorine is Director of Membership Development. Didn't know that. I thought he was just the "color commentator." So... not a demotion. And he'll have more time to spend with his family.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/28/2834197/sporting-news-kcs-injury-report.html

25. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be willing to move back to KC if asked to pick up the slack for Sasha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LCggmsCXk4"]YouTube - Seinfeld - George Costanza ponders about potential jobs[/ame]