PBP: Pre/In/Post - Columbus @ Colorado Playoff Leg 1 - Thurs. 10/28 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Oct 24, 2010.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a minor league team, can't they get their own stadium? :D

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Controversial != troll, at least on the internet I'm on.

But if that's the way the Rapids forum is supposed to work, the mods should post the rules:

"If you are a fan of another MLS club, you are not allowed to post here because it will make us cry."

Or maybe they're already posted in some difficult-to-find location. It's news to me that you can only post in a specific MLS club thread if you are a fan of that team (or pretend to be, etc.)

3. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like most times we host the Crew it is a low scoring game. They are well organized defensively and look to spring a counter attack here or there. That's the strategy of play I would expect they will use against us in the first leg. They will try for a 0-0 draw. That being said, I love the way the Rapids have been playing lately and think we can beat them by two goals and really pressure them with lots of attacking play. I'm going out on a limb and calling this game a 2-0 victory for the Rapids and hoping that it will be enough to get us through after the return match. I think we'll see the exact same Rapids starting 11 as in the game vs. RSL. I don't think Baudet gets the call even if healthy just due to the way Wallace has been playing lately. Wells Thompson will likely come off the bench for a fatigued Mullan or Smith, and maybe a Mac Kandji for Casey or Cummings if needed. I don't think there will be more subs unless there is an injury. I do think Cummings is going to be the difference maker in the game due to his speed and overall exceptional play of late. That said, I think the Crew would be wise to throw in some early challenges and fouls (maybe even pick up a yellow) to try to get physical with him and throw him off his game a bit. Let's go Rapids! Win this first round matchup!

4. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and I hate to beg, but I'm short on cash and if anyone has an extra ticket (or dos) that they're willing to part with, please send me a pm.

5. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    IMO ..... your prediction is exactly the case.

6. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    Here's to hoping that the Rap's will get the spelling of Anthony's last name correctly.

It's WallACE, ACE as in our Ace at left back, rather than WallECE ( see game film from Sat night :D )

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They screwed up Thompson's jersey in Dallas (or was it LA?).

8. Slim 7

Slim 7 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
    They must get the printing done in China.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Judging from available tickets on tickethorse, ticket sales/distribution is moving along nicely. I hope that means there will be actual people in the stands!

10. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, went through about 10-13 sections. Most of those had about 10 or less seats available in them. Looks like there will be plenty of fans in attendance...

11. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Prediction:
    If GS starts the same 11, then we will win 3-0 on Thurday.

If GS tinkers with the lineup we will tie 1-1 and he should be fired.

12. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Barring injury the starting 11 from Saturday will start. It's the same 11 he used or tried to use since Mullan joined the team. The only possible exception would be to put Baudet in the middle and move Wynne wide right but I doubt it.

I also doubt (although would love) a 3-0 result. Should the Rapids score 1, I see the Crew bunkering big time and trying to counter with Rent. I haven't predicted in a while but I'm guessing that's exactly what happens and the game ends 1-1.

I want you to be right :)

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing a 3-1 or 2-0 scoreline in favor of the Rapids. I think we keep the pressure on to hold a multi-goal lead going back to Columbus.

14. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    I would delete the words "Should the Rapids score 1". Columbus will bunker from the opening whistle hoping and praying for a 0-0 outcome. Rapids will need to work hard to break down the defense. But if Rapids can get an initial score, the floodgates may open.

15. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    In hindsight I agree with your edit. I put up a game preview

16. tehphil

tehphil Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for this one...I'm always game for a live MLS game, no matter the team...especially if it's playoffs!

I'm bringing a group of 13 DU grad students to the game :)

17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I just heard a commerical for the match on 104.3. I cant wait for the game.

18. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, anyone have an extra ticket to this game? If so, send me a pm. If not, I'm gonna just head up there on game day and see what I can come up with.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update from the land of the Crew, injury wise.

In addition to Hesmer being out, so is Danny O'Rourke, and Renteria is listed as Questionable. Big loss if Renteria can't go.

Predicted lineup:
    GK: Gruenebaum
    D: Hejduk, Marshall, Iro, Francis
    M: Ekpo, Carroll, Gaven, Rogers
    F: Schelotto + Renteria (Lenhart if not)

Bench: Pool Keeper, Brunner, Padula, Burns, Moffat, Mendoza, Lenhart (Garey)

For those that haven't been watching us, our coach has finally seen the light these last two weeks, and started Eddie Gaven in CM, the result has been 5 goals in 2 games. He started there one other time this year, and we won 3-0.

Point being, we are a much more offensively capable with him at CM instead of Burns or Moffat. Having Renteria start up front also helped a ton.

Don't know if the coach will be as aggressive on 3 days rest in Denver, but I think it gives us our best chance against you guys. We need to score some goals, as you are playing very well right now.

20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Let me quickly thank you for the information (before some misguided soul incorrectly calls you a troll).

I think a home and away series can be framed as a 180 minute match with a really long halftime. I also think that unless it is a terrible mismatch the home teams can/will/would/should win their home 'half'. In that context it becomes all about the margin so to me the advancing formula would be to win by more than one at home and then not lose by more than one away. That seems very possible with this squad but of course easier typed than done. Based on the quoted part above if Jeff and Pablo can smother or at least keep Eddie Gaven quiet and in the process deny GBS the ball we will have a chance.

21. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    This board was defined by someone that it was a home and that all ideas are welcomed in a home. If the guests were actually invited into the home and welcomed to sit down at the table for some coffee and conversation by everyone who lived in the house, understandable.

But these “guests” are more like door to door solicitors or even better, telemarketers calling you on the phone at 9:30pm to sell you something useless.

As far as the actual comments that could be considered informative or not is a personal decision.

Family members send out bulk letters at the end of the year to describe how their family is doing and you could really care less but because someone in your house happened to open the letter, you read it anyway.

The letter goes on to say that their family is doing great and all the kids are graduating college and all of them have already found jobs with great companies and since the kids were so smart and had scholarships, there are no student loans to worry about and everything is just perfect. As a matter of fact they are all planning their third vacation of the year to another exotic beach resort. (And before anyone thinks it’s cute, I’m not describing myself or anyone I know.)

All the meanwhile, your family is nothing like that at all. Your kids are on drugs, uneducated, unemployed, still living at home with you and eating all your food. And you haven’t had a vacation in over 25 years. (And before anyone thinks it’s cute, I’m not describing myself or anyone I know.)

The “family letter” is more appropriate while everyone is gathered together in person and they bring it up in a “general conversation.” That way, for the ones who could careless, could walk away and never have to listen.

So, I guess what I’m saying is using another thread that Big Soccer does provide (MLS: General) where posters from both teams could go into and feel free to share the good or bad information amongst the ones that want to know the others laundry would be more appropriate.

Leave the Colorado Rapids thread to Rapids posters only. If I want to find out information on the other family, I’ll find it out on my own. Stop calling my house late at night, don’t ring the doorbell unless you are invited and keep your stamp because I don’t want your letter.

22. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are a sad, strange little man. And you have my pity.

23. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    You don't know me at all, "Francis."

24. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Co-sign. Not being overconfident, just a gauge of where both teams are at right now.

Thrilled that this game is on ESPN2. First game of the year for the Rapids on the big network.

25. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, who made you sheriff? Chill out.