Chivas USA looking for their own stadium

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Flex Buffchest, Sep 7, 2010.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has nothing to do with whether or not Chivas Guad moves players back and forth from Chivas USA. It's about the public's perception of the MLS club's status with respect to the club in Guadalajara. And that perception is most certainly not one of equality.

CD Guadalajara is almost always referred to as the "parent" club in the relationship (or something equivalent, like "the mothership" or "big brother"). The recent article about the upcoming "ChivaClasico" refers to CDG as the "parent club".

Oh, and about those Chivas v. Chivas matches, a recent BS post by Big Feo described what goes on at that game. A big part of Chivas USA's "fanbase" turns on the club. That game is not a happy friendly between two brothers. Those who actually show up to root for Chivas USA find themselves in extremely hostile territory.

Anyone with even an ounce of pride in MLS, our nation's Division 1 professional soccer league, should be disgusted by this. We don't need any second fiddles in our ranks. Sure, a name is just a name, but a name also represents something. And what the name "Chivas USA" represents is something no MLS fan should have to put up with.

------RM

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you overestimate how many people in San Diego want to or do cross the border into Tijuana. Particularly in the last few years with the bad rep Tijuana has garnered for itself.

As a family member of mine who has lived in SD her whole life said, "you just don't go to TJ... not unless you're drunk off your ass or forget to get off I-5."

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're talking about only about tourism, then yes that has suffered quite a bit. Many (mostly) white folks are afraid to go down there the last few years.

What you are forgetting is San Diego-Tijuana is basically one giant metropolitan area with a fence between it. Many people in San Diego have family on the other side, or business, or they use the airport. The same goes the other way around for those in Tijuana, many have family here, or go to work or school here. There is a reason after all that SD-Tijuana is the busiest border crossing the world.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct that many who have family on the other side of the fence do cross, some do still go across in a tourist capacity (white, latino, black or otherwise), and a large number of Tijuanans do come the other way into San Diego on a regular basis. But I'd wager good money the majority of San Diegans have never crossed the border. I mean hell, the military has even banned servicemen from crossing the border on leave as of a few years ago.

Anecdotally, from my own personal experience of living in SD over a year I've yet to meet anyone who has gone across the border, and some of the folks I've met have lived in SD for nearly 90 years.

5. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah, you could also make this argument too ;)

[​IMG]

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow whomever came up with that billboard ad sure wasn't too bright were they. I mean that's the kind of ammo the Anti-Immigrant lobby is just dying to get their hands on...

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a sucker bet. I'll gladly take your money.

Appendix A, table 1C on p151 of this report might be of interest to you.

90% of San Diegans have crossed the border at least once.

8. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1st--- Don’t believe everything you read..
    2nd--- believe half of what is posted
    3rd--- chivas GLD vs Chivas USA are soccer matches not baseball passion> boring
    4th- some fans not only from Guadalajara / Chivas USA don’t seem to understand and accept the concept of Chivas till then will keep on talking about the same thing over and over
    5th cant judge a team for some incompetent fans and we have them both ways from Guagalajara and Chivas USA
    6 I root for both teams from the heart, an in last clasico I was wearing my Chivas USA jersey yes it was a hostile environment, but you have to understand that at least 45% of that people attend to a soccer match in a soccer stadium 2 a year if that. So they don’t know what the Fk is up.
    7th soccer is a passion and passion can some times drive people crazy, but you cant generalize.

Arriva las Chivas !

9. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seems like official name for the Mexican team is 'Club Deportivo Guadalajara', and Chivas is an unofficial nickname. 'Club Deportivo Los Angeles' = CDLA would be really nice, and Chivas LA as a nickname. Chivas USA as an official name is really really bad bad really bad.

By the way, i just noticed they exactly have the same emblem(except for the lettering) WTF!

Overall really really really bad bad bad idea. Need own identity.
    Good thing that LA football fans have the other option.

If it was only team in my location, I would refuse to support it.

10. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Arrriva las Chivas Gringas

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder where they get their information from...

12. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA should move to San Diego. And change the name to either SD Bolts or SD Goats!

13. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_de_Sarandí

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton_de_Viña_del_Mar

I can't help but think there's a bit of racism involved in the hatred for the Chivas name.

If the club had been bought by one in the EPL and named Arsenal USA there probably would be far less debate about the name some 5 years later.

Hahhahaha. Yeah MLS should not want to be associated with the winning organization and history of CD Guadalajara.... :rolleyes:

14. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And yet people (perhaps even yourself) insist that clubs shouldn't be called Toronto FC or FC Dallas and they should have an "American Style Nickname".

:rolleyes:

Bigsoccer is a trip.

15. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope you're aware that those two teams have nothing to do with their namesakes in England other than being inspired by them. It's entirely different to a team being owned by the same owner as the parent team and being used entirely to spread the 'brand' in the US. It's nothing to do with racism, it's just a dumb name and was a dumb marketing plan to start with. In fact the name holds back the team more than anything else, as it deliberately cuts off the team from the thousands of Mexicans in LA that hate Chivas and might have gone to a match had they not been so obviously a Chivas affiliate.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see the complaining about the idea of Barcelona USA?

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hell more folks seemed to be for it than against it. Yikes.

Yeah, I definitely get a bit of a racist vibe from some (but not all) of the hatred of the name Chivas USA.

18. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Barcelona USA would be a terrible name. No team should be called Barcelona unless it is actually in or near Barcelona. Teams should try to be unique instead of naming themselves after other teams, and they really shouldn't name themselves after cities that they don't play in.

19. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Sounds like you didn't read the Miami expansion threads.

20. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a survey they administered. Didn't you read the appendix?

21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move the team to Ottawa. Chivas Canada!

22. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canadian goats FTW!

The team will always be connected to their sister club below the border, so they will never change their name into something that dosn't have "Chivas" in it. Thats the name they wanted to brand to attract Mexican-American/latino fans in S California, and thtas what they'll stick with. So the only choices I see for changing the name would be:
    Chivas USA
    Chivas Los Angeles
    Chivas California
    Chivas enter name of new city here(Inland, SanDiego,LasVegas, etc)

23. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Imo, it's not racism, it's IDENTITY that's the problem. I don't want Barcelona USA, Arsenal USA, Tottenham USA, Real Madrid USA, or Manchester USA either. It's the fact that they will always be associated with Chivas de Guadalajara right down to the colors of their jerseys to the design of their logo. I don't care if they stay in LA or move to SD or wherever. I just think every team needs their own identity (team name, colors, logo) and their own stadium to play in. This is supposed to be the top division of soccer here in the US. Why are we needing to take names from other leagues? We have plenty of cities and heritage to go off of here.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I actually don't doubt this is part of the mix, but I also think it drastically over-simplifies things. In fact, I think racism is a pretty small factor here. So, a few notes:

1. It's not an inclusive name. The problem is much, much less that it's a Spanish name or that it's an identifiably Mexican brand, but that even to Spanish speakers and even to people of Mexican descent, it's a name that appeals only to one (granted, large) minority of that population: Guadalajara fans.

2. Moving beyond the population of Spanish speakers and people of Mexican descent, the name is simply very poorly chosen to appeal to the vast array of races, ethnicities and nationalities that call Los Angeles home. Think of what might have been possible if instead of Chivas USA the name had been International Los Angeles. (If you want to talk about derby potential in LA, then it'd be between the team of the Westside and the team of everyplace else in LA. Chivas USA could have been the team of everyplace else in LA, if they had chosen a better identity.)

3. The name "Chivas USA" really amounts to a marketing vehicle for Chivas de Guadalajara. As such it deprives Chivas USA of any really autonomous identity. How can you really support a team that is in truth little more than an advertising vehicle for a different team?

25. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! Repped.