Galaxy yet to trail this year.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sandon Mibut, May 6, 2010.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So most MLS fans probably know LA is off to a great start and has the best record in MLS.

But they may be off to the best start in MLS history. Are their any other MLS teams that have gone their first seven games without trailing? Hell, has an MLS team gone seven straight games at any point in the season and not trailed?

The Galaxy have only allowed two goals. RSL scored in the 40th minute to tie the score at 1. Philly got a consolation goal late in a blowout.

LA has also scored early in all but one of their games. With the exception of the KC game when they played to a scoreless draw, the Galaxy have scored in the first 27 minutes every game and 4 times they've gone ahead by the 12th minute.

In total, they've been ahead 431 of 630 minutes this year - that's 68 percent of the season so far played with a lead and ZERO percent played trailing.

Granted, they haven't scored a lot of goals - 11 so far for a fairly average 1.57 per game. So their margin of victory isn't eye-popping - three 1-goal wins and three 2-goal wins.

But while it isn't spectacular dominance, it is certainly very efficient. And very impressive.

And at times, they've played some pretty soccer. Not always but sometimes.

That said, they have an annoying habit of not putting teams away when they have the chance. Several of their wins could have easily been draws if the opponents finished better, especially late.

But despite that, it's still a great start and arguably the best start in leagye history through 7 games.

2. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Probably the best start ever, true. They're on pace to break: most goals by a player,least goals given up, and most points. Donovan is slightly off pace for assists in a season.

That being said, I don't think they'll break any of those and the only one they'll come close to is maybe Buddle breaking the goal mark.

Yeah, I know it's bold to predict that the all time records won't be broken.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAG will come back to the league after Bob Bradley rapes the team.

4. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Probably only going to be Donovan. Buddle's going to miss for camp, I don't think he goes to SA though.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Well, here's a list of teams who were undefeated after 7 games:

(as always, shootouts are counted as draws)

Code:
    1996	LA	7-0-0
    2000	KC	6-0-1
    1998	LA	6-0-1
    2005	NE	6-0-1
    1999	CHI	5-0-2
    2000	LA	5-0-2
    1997	DC	4-0-3
    1999	COL	3-0-4
    1999	DAL	3-0-4
    2009	CHI	2-0-5

Here's how many minutes those teams played until they trailed:

Code:
    1996	LA	97
    2000	KC	385
    1998	LA	148
    2005	NE	13
    1999	CHI	32
    2000	LA	215
    1997	DC	616
    1999	COL	14
    1999	DAL	710
    2009	CHI	9

So it looks like 1999 Dallas holds the record. They didn't trail until the 8th game, a 1:1 result at home against Colorado. Paul Bravo scored in the 80th minute (assist by Anders Limpar), though the Burn would level in the 88th through 1999 league MVP Jason Kreis.

That team didn't have a regulation loss until their 13th match (6-0-6 record). Of course, due to the shootout (ugh), officially they were 7-5.

If LA can get to the 81st minute of their next match without falling behind, they'll set a new record.

Also, 2000 KC only trailed for 7 minutes in their first 11 games. And I'm not going to do all the other teams since there's no chance they have the record, but 2007 NY didn't trail for 474 minutes.

6. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great start.

I think LD is having nightmares over that cross bar strike he hit last night.

Someone needs to make a small image of LD doing the game over routine from a few years back. That was classic.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't help the Galaxy since MLS plays through camp but not through the group stage of the WC. If the U.S. advances Buddle will be back for that game then.

8. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I am just enjoy every minute of it because when the World Cup comes around we will be without Buddle and Donovan!!:(:mad:

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we please bring back and unlock the "Bruce Arena is the worst coach" thread from last year?

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes please.

11. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Allen Gordon got jealous of seeing Buddle get all the love and will actually play well from now on.

12. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will join this motion. Greatest example of overreaction on BS ever (and that is truly saying something).

13. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pleaaaase!!!!!

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an amazingly hilarious thread.

Who was the jagoff who started it? I forget.

Edit: Supercooper, of course. Knew it had to be him or someone like #1 Feilhaber and Adu or Ownyewued

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing Donovan and possibly Buddle won't help, but of course you can't lose (or trail) if you don't get scored on.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What I think is impressive about all this is the Galaxy have been doing it with so little contribution from most of their more veteran players.

Obviously Beckham is out but even healthy he wasn't gonna play till July.

But Chris Klein, Eddie Lewis, Clint Mathis, Jovan Kirovski and Dema Kovalenko have all been dinged up and haven't played much.

Klein has played one game, 15 minutes.
    Lewis has played one game 26 minutes.
    Mathis has played two games, 39 minutes.
    Kirovski has played three games, 56 minutes.
    Dema has played 2 games, 180 minutes.

Also, Gregg Berhalter has started the last three games (and gone the distance) but he missed the first four. And Sean Franklin has been injured and missed the last three games after getting off to a great start.

Most MLS teams have very little experience on their bench but LA will be able to have a lot of veteran guys to call on plus some youngers guys like Bryan Jordan, Mike Magee and Michael Stephens.

I think this team will struggle to score with Donovan and Buddle gone. But I think most teams would struggle to score if you took away their best playmaker and overall player and their leading goal-scorer.

LA may struggle during the WC but once everyone comes back (assuming Landon isn't sold, which is a real possibility), this is going to be a very deep team.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein is 34
    Lewis is almost 36
    Mathis is 33
    Kirovski is 34
    Dema is 32
    Berhalter is 36

Injuries with a group that old are a feature, not a bug.

Ill weigh in on the Galaxy's run in general. Most of the offensive heavy lifting has been done by Landon and a white hot Buddle, which I think has taken quite a bit of pressure off the younger members of the team. Defensively they have been incredible, but I think they've also been a bit fortunate in their opponents finishing (I'm looking at you Kei Kamara).

Statistically speaking, Buddle is finishing 60% of his shots on goal, and over 25% of his shots overall, both absurdly high. Ricketts also has a save percentage of over 90%, which again, is way higher then can be sustained. Id expect both numbers to fall, and the Galaxy should come back to earth a bit, but at this point they have to be clear favorites for the supporters shield with the gigantic lead they have already built. Even if you restarted the standings today, Id expect them to finish amont the top 2 or 3 in the league.

I dont think we will look back on this team as being as good as their start though. A very very good team, and possibly MLS champs, but not best ever territory.

18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mods: the people hath spokeneth. Gorbachev (alias, BigSoccer Rep Nazis) TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!!111!!!

19. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna start a thread - Bruce Arena - Best Coach Ever In MLS? Or BESTEST COACH Ever In MLS?

20. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want another cup.

But let's be clear, any doubt I have that this will be one of the top 5 MLS teams of all time only comes from my concern over the World Cup, and what it will mean to lose possibly both Buddle and Donovan.

21. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wait, I'm not supposed to take every thread title on BS as gospel? :confused:

22. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    MODS!! This is an unheard of breach!

The MLS News & Analysis forum is strictly for analysis of attendance, new franchises, rating and other soccer-business issues. If you've got a player- or performance-related topic, please take it somewhere else.

Do you think we're interested in how a team is playing?! Please!

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny, I thought the N&A thread was only for thinly-veiled attendance smack...

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The Galaxy went ahead in the 22nd minute against Seattle today and never trailed, meaning they've been ahead in 499 of 720 minutes played thus far.

That means they've been ahead 69.3 percent of the season so far and haven't trailed.

And, thanks to scaryice's excellent research, they've broken the MLS record for longest streak to start the season without trailing.

Here are when they've taken the lead in each game.

New England 1-0 6th (Buddle)
    Chivas USA 2-0 7th (Buddle)
    @Houston 2-0 27th (Buddle)
    Salt Lake 2-1 12th (Buddle) and 76th (Buddle) – RSL scored in the 41st
    @Kansas City 0-0 ---
    Philadelphia 3-1 1st minute (DeLaGarza)
    @Colorado 1-0 21st minute (Gordon)
    @Seattle 4-0 22nd minute (Kirovski)

25. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora