Indian Football Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by ashindia, Nov 30, 2009.

1. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    ground seems to be ok
    ,but crowds are dismal

2. india1

india1 Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    thanks Poorvi for the insight

3. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    LOL @ friends/colleagues :D

4. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for the kind words guys. @ ashindia, what exactly is so funny? : p : (

Here are a few post game pics:

[​IMG]
    Man of the match ceremony

[​IMG]
    Mumbai FC team after the game

[​IMG]
    Post game pep talk for the Mahindra United team

5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for filling us in. It surprises me that players from Europe find the MLS physical. I was under the impression that the MLS had more of a Latin touch to it and not a European one. I haven't seen much of Chetri after his transfer, but in some practice game he scored a hat trick.

Subrata Pal is a probably the best Indian keeper at the moment. He is a good penalty stopper and is decisive, i.e he generally doesn't hesitate in coming off his line to clear the ball. Unfortunately for him, long after he retires, he will be remember for his infamous accident with a Brazilian player called Junior which resulted in Junior's death. Though it was later confirmed that the death was due to cardiac arrest, Subrata Pal was suspended by the AIFF for 2-3 months.

btw: Correct me if I am wrong guys, but the Bengalis tend to pronounce Pal as poll, which the British corrupted as Paul in their official records. Many of the Pals then stuck with the spelling that the British used.

6. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This was a Mumbai derby, Mahindra is in the first position in the I league and there were 200 spectators........... Ridicolous !!!!!

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    MLS is not physical in the same way that the European leagues are physical. Lots of flying tackles, lots of hard hitting, but not as much on-the-ball physical defense as you see in England or Germany. If you've ever had the opportunity to see Brazilian matches, it's very similar in style, but not in skill.

There is a more Latin feel to the game here, but that has a lot to do with the climate. It's impossible to play the end-to-end pressing style you see in England. The weather in Washington in the summer is only slightly cooler than Mumbai right before the monsoons. Even places like Boston, Chicago and New York get extremely hot and humid in the summer.

1 person likes this.
  8. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You also have to take into account that it was on a Wednesday afternoon at 4pm. Even on weekends, you'd have 2000 spectators at most, kind of like the club you support :p. Mahindra United vs Mumbai FC is not really a derby. Mumbai FC are a recently formed club. Air India vs Mahindra is more of a local derby. Even in those games, the vast majority of the spectatots are the people who are epmloyed by Mahindra and Air India.The real crowds gather for the East Bengal vs Mohan Bagan derby. At times around 100,000+. Even the games in Kerala and Goa draw good crowds. I however, like the afternoon, relaxed atmosphere at Cooperage with not much noise and limited crowds. More like a closely knit family. :)

9. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Today, at a restaurant called Saffron , I came across Mayanti Langer, Mayank Sabnis (not sure) and a few more people from Zee Sports, who were there because they were around for some event. The restaurant was quite empty considering that it was a Saturday afternoon. I got a few minutes to talk to her, and asked her questions about a lot of things ranging from the ONGC I-league, the Indian national side, current football updates, the world cup etc.
    She said that she picks Dempo to pip Mahindra United for the I-league title. I hadn't seen much of Dempo play, so I didn't have much to add or contest. She said she had a lot of expectations from Mumbai FC and Viva Kerala, but so far the two teams have disappointed her. She is of the impression that Bob Houghton is a coach with a vision and that his work will show tangible results in the near foreseeable future. She thinks that he's a got the right mix of carrot and stick for the players and expects a decent show at the Asian championships in 2011. On Champions league football, she said that both she and Novi Kapadia were disappointed to see Manchester United bow out. She thinks that Barcelona is just too strong and will retain their title. David Villa is her pick for golden boot in the WC, which i think is a good choice, given Spain's relatively easy group. She expects Mexico to be the surprise package in this WC.
    I figured out that she's a Punjabi when I heard her talk on her cell with someone. :)

On the flip side, my fiance, was suddenly showing much more interest in the sport than he generally does :mad: :p

10. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    thanks so much for update

11. tahoma

tahoma New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If any football follower here lives in Goa, please send me a PM as I might have a job for you..

12. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Wow.... I love the way you recite

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  14. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Big day for Indian Football and Sunil,after his 4 goals against University teams this will be his real test.I hope he gets on score-sheet or atleast assist an goal :)

15. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    not in india:)

16. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I-LEAGUe is getting interesting as we are closer to finish line

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  18. tahoma

tahoma New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What do you mean?

19. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Recite? :mad: :p

Thank you.

20. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Re: I-League

TWIST IN THE TALE

1) Lajong shock Mahindra to jump-off relegation spot,while Mahindra fail to close in the gap

[​IMG]

Lajong 2-1 Mahindra

2) SC Goa stun Churchill to keep themselves alive in relegation battle,meanwhile Churchill hope of retaining the title look dim

[​IMG]

SC Goa 2-1 Churchill Bros

3) JCT thrash Viva Kerala,JCT in mid table battle

[​IMG]

JCT FC 5-1 Viva Kerala

1 person likes this.
  21. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    4) Mohun Bagan thrash Air India to make a strong comeback

[​IMG]

Mohun Bagan 4-0 Air India

5) Pune FC held to a Draw by late Salgaocar goal

[​IMG]

Pune FC 1-1 Salgaocar SC

22. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Things are certainly hotting up in the I.League.

One question to ou frequent followers of the league:

Expansion - will this be good for the league? Currently, the gaps aren't huge between bottom and mid table, but throwing more teams in could open up bigger gaps. Wouldn't it be wiser to create a more competitive 2nd tier league first?

This season, the league is still going strong into the last few weeks, with more teams in the future, such issues as relegation matters, could be over leaving the last few weeks rather pointless. Is it wise to expand at this time?

24. Snep

Snep New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    1 person likes this.
  25. mastersk3

mastersk3 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Chennai
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    This is a question which nobody has an answer....
    Are there enough quality players?? nobody can answer that but this was the same question people asked when Lajong and Pune FC made der debut and both des clubs were a gr8 success dey brought new age professionalism, gud attendances nd som unknown talents. In a big country like India having a second division league is very costly and expanding the league is only gud option AIFF have...