Parking in Harrison

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JBigjake, Mar 8, 2010.

1. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    LAZ Parking appears to be handling all off-street parking for RBA.
    I met with a manager at the Harrison Parking Garage today & drove around to the different lots.
    I was advised that ALL LOTS WILL BE CHARGING $10 CASH to park.
    The closest surface lot is on Frank Rogers Blvd., at the traffic light across from the PATH station entrance. The attendant told me there are 800+ spaces!
    The Harrison Parking Garage is OPEN! I was told that it opened January 15. There is NO entrance from Frank Rogers Blvd.! You have to drive all the way around to the back. Many of the local steeets have been closed. The rear entrance is at the intersection of South 3rd St. & Burlington. There are 1,400+ spaces in the garage! The east side has a walkway to Frank Rogers Blvd., right next to the PATH.
    There are surface lots west of Frank Rogers Blvd., between the train overpass & I-280. One lot alone will have an estimated 1,000 spaces. Several other lots will have a total of 1,000+ spaces.
    So, it looks like there will be a minimum of 4,200 spaces managed by LAZ.
    The man I spoke with also mentioned valet parking! I did not ask for details.
    There may be street parking north of I-280. You may want to be cautious about parking in the shopping center lot. I don't know if the merchants will be happy to see all their spaces taken by non-customers. You don't need to find out the hard way if there will be ticketing or towing. $10 to park is not a bad price.
    I asked the manager about traffic. He expects it to be a nightmare. I suggest coming early & staying late! LAZ will have 60+ people helping the Harrison police with traffic control, but if you've driven around the area, there is limited access to & from Harrison & in addition to RBNY fans, the entire town will be living its life on a normal Saturday.

2. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to know info thanks!!!

3. TJF2

TJF2 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    RI
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's pronounced lay-zee.

4. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the info Jbigjake!

5. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good info. Thanks Jake. Not sure if I want to try parking this Saturday or not. Should be fine for this game, I would assume.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You may want to get a feel for the highways & local streets this Saturday. RBA traffic is likely to be double for Santos & Opening Day.

7. Nick Metro

Nick Metro New Member

Mar 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great info - thanks very much!

8. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thanks for the info! May need to drive in half the time so will try to print out all the locations you posted on a map and get a feel for it!

9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    FYI, there is a tiny lot directly underneath 280, just south of the shopping center (immediately south of Wendys).

You can't see it on google maps because its literally under the bridge. I cant speak to the specifics, but i thought it was 3 bucks to park there on weekdays... no idea what the weekend situation is.

Source: I just moved out of Harrison (sadly) after being there for two years. Walked past it a zillion times.

10. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And just to offer a little more perspective on driving within Harrison... even on a normal day, the town takes a while to drive through or across. I swear it has the worst timed traffic lights in the entire state. You can rarely make it through more than 1 light at a time. I expect it will be pretty damn insane for Santos and Chicago.

11. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff thei, and even more reason for me to take the train :-D

12. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6dZh_FWGac"]YouTube- Red Bull Arena Parking.mp4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPimnqEzsQw"]YouTube- Red Bull Arena Newark Trolle.mp4[/ame]

13. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol not so sure about that.

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Red Trolley go to Dubai? :D

When are you going to make it home for a game?

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be at the Philly game. We will meet up. Trying to convince MO'C to join us.

17. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great choice. Knew Mike was a fan, too. Have promised to bring him to a game this year. It'll depend on my wife's availability since the other ticket is hers. I've got a list of friends who want in on her ticket to check out a match this season. Honestly, when I bought the tickets, I figured she'd only want to go to a few matches and I'd be bringing different folks with me every match, but this is surprisingly turning out not to be the case. Which is a good thing--could be worse things than a soccer fan wife.

18. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing to consider for peeps who lives in Westchester or points further north (like me) is that kids under 12 can ride Metro North for around dollar with an adult paying full fare, so if you bring young ones to the games it makes a lot of sense.

Of course once you are at GCT you still need to get from there to Newark, but that's pretty easily done. It'll all be more time consuming than simply driving, but not having to worry about parking, tolls, traffic or how much you drink is an added bonus.

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. I have one myself.

20. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks very much for this info; new season ticket holder here who will be driving down (from the Ulster county area) to enjoy the new stadium!

21. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree to that.

It will take about an hour to get from GCT to the arena.

22. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

23. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always allowed 30 minutes to get from GCT to MSG and the CD says allow about half an hour from 33rd to Harrison.

FYI

Two main ways to get to 33rd, not taking a taxi. Go out to 42nd and walk west to Bryant Park and take the B/D to 34/33.

The second way is to take the shuttle to Times Square and then take the N/R/Q to 33rd.

and

Up to three children 44 inches tall and under ride for free on subways otherwise it is 4.50 RT.

24. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Why not take the 5 train from Grand Central to Fulton St. and walk 3 blocks to the WTC PATH station? On weekends, the PATH from 33rd always stops at Hoboken and you still need to transfer at Journal Square. WTC to Harrison is a straight, 22 min shot.

To review:

5 to Fulton St - 10 mins
    walk to WTC - 4 min walk according to Google
    WTC to Harrison - 22 mins

Seems better than taking 2 trains just to get to 33rd St PATH and then the longer PATH ride.

25. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm planning to do.