CBA Thread III: The sneakers don't seem that much cheaper

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably nothing, but I've been gnawing on this from a different angle. Maybe the league ought to find a way to vest the players MLS.

One way might be for the league to offer some sort of profit sharing plan. If the league profits the plan gains money, and if not it doesn't. Vesting would benefit older players as well.

An interest in profits and the reality of profits might make the players be a little more realistic about the economics. Of course if the optimists are right, about league profits, then they don't lose anything.

Who knows, someday maybe they'll let the fans in by taking MLS public.

2. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

correction. the old structure hasn't stopped TFC or SSFC's growth YET or as far as you know. if the structure is changed to allow more team freedom who knows what kind of growth those teams might achieve.

great distance from a local MLS team only means instead of having a default team to be a fan of i need a compelling reason to be a fan of one in particular ... as was the case with Man Utd, Lyon and Ajax in my case ... which i have not experienced yet. maybe i will move to an MLS city some day (Portland?) or the kind experience they are producing in Seattle will lead me to eventually be a SSFC fan or maybe one of my favourite players like Ryan Giggs will end his career playing for DC United (yeah, right!) thus leading me to don the black and white (and red?). who knows. hasn't happened yet.

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so you honestly think what SSFC did last year was normal? that what TFC and SSFC have done as expansion teams is just par for the MLS course?

i am no noob either and have followed the league since it's inception. nobody is suggesting that any ONE year will change everything. but it is hard to ignore that what has happened in Toronto and now Seattle is an exciting new phenomena for the MLS. one that it would be wise to embrace fully and run with or at least let those clubs who would like to run with and build off that new level of excitement do so.

4. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That is just wishful thinking. The reality now is that the current model doesn't stop teams growth.

Or maybe you are simply not trying.

5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No, that isn't normal, and thats why we shouldn't dictate the way the league operates based solely on those 2 teams.

ok.. i'm done now, see ya tomorrow! (hoping to NOT found 300 more posts like past days)

6. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EDIT: nevermind.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Their signatures as a MLSPU on the new CBA (and the commitment to keep playing in, growing, and improving the league over the duration of that new CBA).

At the heart of this, the players and the owners want the same thing and an agreement will be reached to keep the league moving in a positive direction.

8. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So, essentially..... nothing

Yes, I know, i did say that i was done. But I swear this is the last post for today

9. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    Shawn Mitchell with some fresh comments from Crew union rep William Hesmer...

http://blog.dispatch.com/crew/2010/02/laboring_on.shtml

10. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd that he keeps using "lockout".

I'll remain unconvinced these guys truly want to blow up the league. Good negotiating tactic, but are conditions really so poor that the owner's alterations with perhaps a few more concessions are enough to make players walk?

If MLS folds that would do what, quadruple the number of Americans looking to play overseas? Once again, good luck finding a team in that kind of environment with the labor uncertainty hanging over any contract you and a club would agree to.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    [​IMG]

I'm not Montel Williams, Will.

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    No one has been able to sufficiently answer this question.

If it's the minimum that Bob Foose is talking about, and not the actual cap which will be determined later by the Board of Governors, then MLS should just come out and say "Bob Foose is wrong--he's giving out misleading information. That's only the minimum number that we were discussing. The actual cap is decided by the owners."

Foose probably knows his audience for Goff is fans--fans that want to see the cap rise at more than the rate of inflation.

So...if this really isn't the proposed salary cap, let's see the league respond and say that he's wrong and that it isn't.

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    The real question (to me) is if players are willing to prematurely end their careers if they can't reach an agreement. They keep trying to play a game of chicken where one side seems to hold all the cards. If it reaches a lockout, I'm not convinced that a significant percentage of players (say 40% or so) wouldn't cross the line in order to ensure that they still have a job.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that where Hesmer is missing the point is when he says (in the previous paragraph)...

...what if the reaction by the fans is general apathy? To be honest, not many people give much of a damn about the Will Hesmers of the league. People like them just fine, but they don't sell any tickets and more to the point, they're replaceable.

15. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure it's necessary to engage that way. The leagues said that what they're saying is misleading. Foose says the league is giving false information.

How many more of those exchanges before they're not worthy of paying attention to? In just a few steps the discussion will look like a bigsoccer forum.

16. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have any idea how the vote would have to go down in order to get a strike approved by union membership? A simple majority? 2/3's? Something else?

To be honest, I have a hard time believing that 50% of the players would agree to strike and cut off their incomes (and possibly end their careers) just for the right to maybe someday be able to choice which specific MLS team to sign with. I'm not saying that those freedoms wouldn't be welcome, but is it worth the potential downside?

17. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah basically. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, most players don't have significantly better all around options. If I was 22 again and I had the choice of making 40k playing soccer, paying my own way in grad/law/med school (no athletic scholarships!), or working a full time "real" job, well its a no brainer. Hell, I pay for the pleasure of playing soccer now.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I posted that image because I don't really think he's missing any point, my gut reaction to his statements was that they were the most blatant and transparent bluff I've seen in this process.

19. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I agree. It's hard to get a strike authorized when you insist you're not interested in more money. It's too hard for most of these guys to ever recover what they'll lose financially from a lengthy strike unless they win a significant boost in pay as a result.

Kenn's got a nice article he wrote about the NASL strike on his blog, and it collapsed quickly for many of the same reasons.

Link:

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=2838

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wasn't sure if he was bluffing or if he actually believes what he said, but either way, it's hard to take seriously.

21. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think at some level these guys have to know theres a clock that strikes midnight around age 35 or so. You don't just lose a season of pay. You lose a season of development, chance to impress European clubs, etc.

22. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans of each team can do this little exercise....

If the Rapids players needed to job hunt...

Pickens - Maybe Scandinavia or USL, neither have a huge demand for a middling keeper
    Ceus - out of soccer
    Kimura - a gig in Japan
    Baudet - retirement
    Moor - about 50/50 he has a future without MLS
    Palguta - out of soccer
    Earls - back to Ireland
    Murillo - back to Colombia
    Holody - out of soccer
    Borak - out of soccer
    Dalby - out of soccer
    Mastroeni - retirement
    Larentowicz - about 50/50 on a foreign gig
    Clark - bad time to recover from injury - out of soccer
    Thompson - out of soccer
    Smith - back to SPL
    LaBrocca - out of soccer
    Ballouchy - out of soccer
    O'Brien - out of soccer
    LaBeaux - out of soccer
    Casey - Germany to bounce around 2nd division
    Diz - back to 2nd div Argentina
    Noonan - out of soccer
    Schunk - out of soccer
    Cummings - back to Jamaica
    Akpan - Wall Street.

A lot of players could get the freedom they so desperately crave.

23. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS clearly thinks as little of the public as they do of their employees.

24. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole "MLS players can't play anywhere else" is just stupid.

There are tons of leagues that these guys could play in.

25. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Some league have requirements you have to meet to get a work visa over there. While others may not be talented enough to get a contract in overseas league.