Dynamo Stadium News X: The Hangover

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by flippin269, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXMilan

TXMilan Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UofH just re-signed football coach Kevin Sumlin to a new contract. The following is a provision in the contract per the Houston Chronicle.

Another key component to the contract revolves around planned upgrades to Robertson Stadium. If UH does not break ground on a stadium project — be it renovation of Robertson or new construction — by Jan. 3, 2011, then Sumlin’s buyout decreases $100,000. The buyout decreases another $100,000 each additional year that UH fails to break ground through Jan. 2, 2013. The buyout would drop to $100,000 if UH breaks ground from Jan. 3, 2014 and Jan. 2, 2015, and $50,000 if a project starts from Jan. 3, 2015 to Jan. 2, 2016.

“The stadium clause is simply saying we’re making a commitment,” Rhoades said. “We just felt like it was important if we were asking Kevin to be here that we showed him a commitment that we’re going to do the best we can to upgrade facilities within the next three years. I just think it’s fair for both sides, and it makes a statement. It’s critical in terms of what we need to get done in the future.”

A friend associated to the athletic dept at UofH told me with a new athletic director that UofH may reach out to the Dynamo for a partnership on a new stadium at UofH.

2. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they don't budge on this UofH proposal. Don't get me wrong I think UofH needs a upgrade, hell CONF USA is crapola.

UofH and 5* keeps us from having an the experiance that Dynamo fans want.

3. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope UofH does build a brand new stadium elsewhere on campus. Go Coogs!
    [​IMG]

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    very good friend of mine is a consistent donor and has a direct batline to the ADs office says the new stadium for UH started as a distant pipe dream, but is now more feasible due to the millions needed to refurbished Robertson. the thinking is why spend $30 million (i'm pulling that # out of my butt cuz i don't remember the exact # he told me) to fix 1940s plumbing/electrical when you can throw up a new stadium for $50-60 million. they already own the land and have infrastructure, so it would just be labor & materials costs. UH knows that a refurbished Robertson is still a piece of crap and they will have to do better than that to attract recruits.

guess who is one of the potential partners they've thrown around to make up that $20-30 million gap? tan-tan-taaaaaaaaan!!!!

5. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Let's just say there is a plethora of options to mull over

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik"]YouTube- Three Amigos-What Is A Plethora?[/ame]

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Dynamo (I'm guessing that's who the answer to the riddle is, tan-tan-taaaaaaaan!!!!!) were actually a partner and not a tenant, that might not be so bad. It's sort of like the HDC on the grounds of the university out there, though I don't know that they use the stadium for the university events. Scheduling, parking, security, all that stuff would be at least shared, and the lines on the field as well as the condition of the field itself would be better managed. I just wonder if a grass field is manageable for both soccer and college football during the same week, especially during a rainy period.

7. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

It was $35MM for a new end zone facility and luxury suites. I wasn't all that excited about it to be honest, and also think it's wiser to just build a brand new stadium, but it will be on campus. I've heard three possible sites (the existing site, right off I-45 and behind the Rec Center).

8. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off I45 would be nice.

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    awesome, you made me feel good about myself that i remembered almost the correct amount. this conversation took place last august after many, many 'chelas' and too much whiskey. in fact, i would say a 'plethora' of whiskey shots.

10. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say UH approached the Dynamo to put up half the money for a new stadium. I'd be very interested to hear the negotiations as to what that 50% investment would get them. I don't see UH wanting to give the Dynamo the concessions they would more than likely ask for.

11. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It is a tough situation. On one side, with the help of UH the stadium is more likely to be approved, however, the Dynamo are already offering to pay 60 out 80 million for a new stadium (which of course the team could control).

IMO, the team should stick to the current plan, creating a new stadium for themselves.

12. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, will this rumored deal possibility with U of H sound so much better to Mayor and County that they will push for it and want to kill the current Dynamo deal?

13. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or maybe will they decide they better get busy and pass the deal or they'll lose it, and the East End redevelopment along with it.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo would need to listen. It all depends on how much ancillary revenue they could derive from the stadium for non-Dynamo & non-UH events and how much upfront cash they would be kicking in. And depending upon the site, would weekday event restrictions be in place? Lots of variables but it could pencil out on a return on investment basis for the Dynamo.

15. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of capacity would UH want do you think? Certainly more than 20k but probably not more than 30k?

To be honest, a deal with UH seems more appealing to me because the stadium could be nicer than if it was just the Dynamo paying mostly everything on their own.

16. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Robertson works now, except that the Dynamo don't control enough of the revenue/scheduling/etc.

What's funny/ironic is that if UH would meet the same terms that a shared Dynamo Park is certain to have, then we'd probably be talking about the $50-80M in improvements that have already been made to Robertson by the Dynamo.

17. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coincidence? http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3956115

18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    nothing is a coincidence. in other countries this is called a bribe. here in the states its a political contribution. same difference. :D

19. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice find lol.

20. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting news coming out of Commissioners' Court this morning. I attended on behalf of the Supporters' Alliance and spoke in favor of TIRZ 15. Commissioners Lee and Garcia, it seemed, were receptive.

Then Commissioner Radack asked if I was familiar with a deal currently under development by Midway Companies to build a stadium "a mile from the Galleria" along Westpark, using no public funds. I told him I was not familiar with such discussions, and our preference is, rightly so, for the downtown stadium location. However, I am intrigued by this possibility and will ultimately support whatever it takes to get the stadium built as close to the city center as possible.

And then immediately regretted not saying, "Commissioner, if they'll allow tailgating, I'm all for it."

I gave a statement to the Chronicle and an interview to Miya Shay*, so maybe there'll be a little bit more information concerning the referenced project in Precinct 3. Honestly, I'm most encouraged by Commissioner Radack's demeanor when he asked me the question - I almost got the sense that he knows the value of the club to the community, and if Lee and Garcia aren't gonna move the dirt for the benefit of the people of Precincts 1 & 2, he'd be more than happy to get to work for the people of Precinct 3. Radack is a conservative guy, and he almost looked happy that there might be an avenue to get this thing built without using public funds at all. A triumph of the free market, if you will.

Plus, as much as we want a downtown location, if Radack's talking about building a stadium where I think he is, we'd basically be putting it right in the heart of the Hillcroft/Harwin International District. Oh the possibilities.

*I did not fall for her traps.

21. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, does not appear that Midway is in the Stadium business according to their website but maybe they want to branch out.

22. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to a match and stay for the shopping on Harwin.

Bwahahah if you thought it was ruff around the stadium now?
    just wait till it's down the street from Gulfton ghetto.

23. ORANGER!!

ORANGER!! Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so now they're also leaving the old Vietnamese town and moving next the New Vietnamese Town. hmmm...YAY!!

24. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    you'll get quality handbags for 1/4 the price ;)

25. El Yimmy

El Yimmy Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Would this mean we can drop TSU from using it too? Cuz I would be very cool with that, if it is possible.