Guillermo Barros Schelotto :: Catch-All 'Off-Season' Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by DancingKevin, Dec 2, 2009.

1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we not play well in the middle of the season without Guillermo in the lineup? Plus, it's all a part of the negotiation process. It happens in every league in every sport in the world. FO gives ludicrously low first offer -> player responds with equally ludicrous high demand -> Sides battle it out in the media -> Most of the time both come to senses and it's resolved. Lather, rinse, repeat.

We would all be upset if Guillermo left, but it's not the name on the back of the shirt that we're most loyal to... it's the name that used to be a lot bigger on the front.

2. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Now can we go back in time and argue about what could have been done to keep Sigi in yellow?

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not sure if discussing fantasy is a TOS violation or not.

4. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since we signed Guille we can't say much about it, but if we didn't sign Guille we would be way under the Cap limit and have the ability to go after a new "big name" player for the Crew. I cant speculate who that would have been but it sounds like from prior posts from Shawn Mitchell of the Dispatch we had a couple people in our sights that.... after we signed Guille... weren't willing to take 60-100k but they probably would have taken 200-300k. Saying that much is saying the FO had a backup plan incase Guille didn't come back.

Growing a pair of balls means being a man about the situation, and I will say that as long as we had a strong team (which we do, with or without Guille) in 2010 I would be happy. This isnt 4 years ago this is 2010, we are favored once again to lead the league and rightfully so. The team... collectivity not just Guille has the championship mentality. He helped produce that, and until we full in to mediocrity like DC Scum I will not be upset.

5. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    This guy does have a point tho, however you slice or dice it.

Why bother getting digs in on your own fans, in public? Classic lose-lose, IYAM.

6. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Yeah it probably was a somewhat unneeded comment on the part of MM but he does have a point in that the mindset of such fans ignores the efforts of the rest of the team. And in my opinion draws into question the loyalty of those that made such threats. The time to have walked would have been during the GA years not know. Then a person would have had the right to walk out since no one in the organization seemed to give a damn if the team sucked or not.

Also, how many times do you think that MM has heard this from fans? He has got to be getting a bit tired of it.

7. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't quite wrap my mind around that middle paragraph of yours. Yes, the club has had a decent record over the last two years in regular season matches where Guille has been unavailable. But winning trophies without him? Look, I understand your dedication to supporting the club, but I think you'd be in a pretty small minority if you really think the non-Guille roster is good enough to win a SS or MLS Cup.

It's not a GM's job to bust the chops of season ticket holders who are pissed at the possibility losing such a player. It's his job to retain that player or, if that's just not possible, do what's necessary to replace that player with someone who can give the team a legitimate shot at competing.

Now I agree the threats are sorta childish. You have to give the FO a chance to do their jobs. But, whatever. Our Lord & Savior will be back this season.

9. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best player in Crew history will play one more season with you guys can yu all agree to be happy????

In Guille News he has been vacationing in Argentina and is I believe back in Ohio now, he was on 2 interview shows one which went okay and another which he got really angry at the stupid questions he was asked in which he said at one point "I perfer to be naked and lost in Ohio right now than to be on your show...".. TO BARROS SCHELOTTO!!! :p

1 person likes this.
  10. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guille doesn't need clothes in Ohio!:D What a tag line!

11. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guillermo speaks only in absolute truth.

12. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can you find that on the internet and post it here?

13. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    tifo

14. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahahahahahaha Must Spread rep! :D:D

15. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can anyone not absolutely love Guille, that is brilliant!

16. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wow! Just when you think Guille can't get anymore awesome. :D

You have to find video of this for us!

17. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd love to see the WTF responses from all of the Crew-hating soccer blahgers when the Nordecke unfurls a giant tifo that reads "Guille! We'll always love being naked and lost in Ohio with you!" That would make my year. :D

18. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    WTF has Bradd done to deserve being in the starting 11? Oh, right, hot girlfriend. It worked for Williams.

:D

2 people repped this.
  19. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I think he made a few mistakes. Kgilbert is a pure finisher and needs to be on top. Bill Archer IS a true right wing. He doesn't even own a left foot so he doesn't belong on that side. Timon19 should be in the middle where he can create havoc on both sides of the pitch. I can cover for you at keeper but I'd probably be a good backup at best.

20. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I be Iribarren? I just stand on the sidelines and make occasional comments, but I look dang good doing it...

21. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! People put up with me all the time just to be around Mary. ;)

22. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put up with Mary just to be around you. :eek:

23. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Suck-up...

24. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watched the Boca-River superclassico last night and the announcer quoted press reports thast Guille turned down the Boca Juniors coaching job. He turned down Boca for the Crew. Can we get any more massive?

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And right now isnt the right time for Guille to take the helm for boca, they are just bad and need a proven coach with a resume/ knows what he is doing.

If guille took that job it very well could kill his rep before he ever had one as a coach.

He knows it, and knows right now boca is in bad shape, and isnt optimal for him to coach them.

What dumb questions were they asking him?