Pizza Hut Park Partial Roof?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by nbtc971, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbtc971

nbtc971 Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Hey guys.. I'm sure no one would complain if they built some king of partial roof that would give the fans some shade during games. I know I would personally take my family to more games as I am very hot natured and the sun definitely keeps me away sometimes.

I'm sure it's all been discussed before but search didn't turn up much. Has there ever been talk of doing something like this? Of all the new stadiums going up that have roofs, no one needs one as much as we do.

I know it costs money, I'm sure that's the major concern. I'm almost willing to have cardboard. :p

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
  3. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    what about a free sombrero day for the midday games?

4. JPB4

JPB4 Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's plenty of cheap seats in the shade, that shouldn't be keeping you away. Admittedly they are not as cheap as sideline east seats, but they are available. Endline sections 112 and 113 are usually in the shade.

They aren't going to build a roof over the sideline east seats until the avg. attendance is much higher, if ever. Might be a chicken and egg argument, but don't let the sun keep you from attending games.

Also last season FCDs schedule was very good, they only had ONE afternoon game during a "summer" month and I think that was May, hardly a very hot game. Lots of Sat. night games. So not sure why the sun/heat would have been an issue for your attendance in 2009.

5. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't there several Sunday Afternoon games? There were on Telemundo or something.

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was 2007

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Wagner once explained to me why they didn't do a roof at PHP. Basically, he said that it would need to be on the west side, it would need to be very high and stretch halfway across the field in order to shade the east seats.

Now usually, I generally regard Wagner's proclamations as to why they can't spend money on this or that with a certain amount of cynicism. But in this case, he's right. Time for a little geometry. Where is the sun in North Texas at 2:00 and 3:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon in the summertime? That's right, it's high, but it's in the western sky. If you're in the east seats, you're facing west and staring right into the sun. (This, BTW, is the reason why FCD doesn't sell very many tickets on the east side of PHP and why the Burn sold the east seats at the Cotton Bowl so cheaply.)

If you want to block the sun in the western sky, what is going to do the trick? A roof over the east stands? Nope. It will do almost nothing for the sun. (It will, however, keep the rain off you a bit, but that's not generally a problem in north Texas between May and October.) Something large over the west stands? Now you're talking. The question is "How big?" At 6:00 or 7:00, not too big, because the sun's starting to get low in the sky. But at 2:00 or 3:00? That's a different story.

To further drive home the point, the next time you watch a daytime game from Toyota Park or the Home Depot Center, pay attention to where the shadows are. More than likely, they will not extend to the east stands, which is the direction that the cameras are facing.

As for a big roof over the west stands, that would be useful -- something like this in an early rendering of the Wizards' stadium:

[​IMG]

But then, you have to worry about things like "how much sunlight does the grass get?"

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As BigSoccer's resident Architect, In approve of an rep this post.

Not to mention the 7-20 million dollars it would cost to build various sizes of roof structures to accomplish said shading with very limited benefit and ROI

9. nbtc971

nbtc971 Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Just because you don't find 98 degrees hot doesn't mean others don't. Throw in a team that showed little life until near the end of the season and there you go.

I definitely understand that attendance would have to rise and you are right, chicken and egg, I only wish they'd of taken this into account from the start.

And to the double facepalm guy, up yours. No need to get upset, I say that with all due respect.

10. nbtc971

nbtc971 Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Said "Mr. Warmth"

11. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or girls in bikinis get a free ticket in the east sidelines section.

( let it also be noted, I considered adding that for the girls in bikinis getting a free ticket promotion there should be both an age range limit and a weight limit applied, but wisely chose not to add this )
    :p

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not going to build one anyway because it wouldn't do crap for a western sun angle

Fine, next time I'll be a dick about it and people around here know I can be a dick. You just happened to catch me in a medically induced period of "not being a dick".

13. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    He double facepalmed you because every year the PHP roof subject has been brought up and beaten. Over. And over. Again.

14. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not like nbtc971 knew that. Don't be an a-hole to someone just because they're a noob.

15. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

People are so touchy on the interwebs

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you understand how the internet works

17. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Are stadiums normally built in an orientation where the stands are East & West and the field runs north/south? Just curious.

18. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Oh yeah. This is all a fond seasonal memory as I am freezing my chicken nuggets off every day. (Viva Copenhagen.... not.)

As for those bikinis, it reminds me of a very pleasant song in a movie... "sun tan lotion, good for me, it gives protection, tee-hee-hee."

At this point in the year, I say rev up those SUV's , bring back the sun, and warm this sucker up by about 15 degrees.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is the typical orientation for the majority of the outdoor sports stadiums in the US

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

[​IMG]

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now we're talking about the orientation of stadiums? That is personal. :D

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't ask, don't tell. I heard that Dick's Sporting Goods Park is a little....you know. Just sayin', they didn't pick the name for nothing....

23. Furacao del Norte

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must... spread... rep... aargh. Dallas, and the entire southern US, have different problems than most places in Europe. Fighting off sun really is different than fighting off rain.

He did say he looked, and this question is not in the FAQ, though perhaps it should be.

Almost all stadiums are built north/south. Imagine an E/W stadium with an afternoon game, and one team is looking directly into the sun. It would be unplayable. As is being pointed out, the east side is enough of a disadvantage as it is.

At A&M, they put the visiting team on the east side, with the sun in their face and 30k students behind them with the sun in their face as well. The alums and Ags get to be in the shade on the west side. Not by accident.

FCD did much better on their schedule last year. They need to keep begging for all night games between late May and late September. Even the Rangers get crushed attendance-wise during their rare summer day games.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roofs also have to have a significant projection to combat precipitation because unlike most people think, rain doesn't fall straight down.

25. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Ninian Park (R.I.P.) in Cardiff was more like sitting in a tin shack with one wall removed than in a "stadium" with a roof.