Stadium Update

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Sep 8, 2009.

1. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Everyone,
    An article will appear on the Star website later tonight and in the paper in the morning. Basically, it will outline a stadium development proposal that we have been working on with the Unified Government and State of Kansas.
    If I were you my natural first reaction would be, “oh no, here we go again!”
    When we purchased the team in late 2006, we did so with the understanding that the most critical thing that needed to be done for the viability of the team was the development of soccer specific assets. It was the major theme emphasized to us by the late great Lamar Hunt.
    Since then our group has had a series of up’s and down’s, start’s and stop’s, achievements (at least in our minds) and failures. While we expected to be and wished we were further along on the development of the stadium, the facts are facts and we’ve found ourselves with a beautiful site in southeast Kansas City, a partner in the city and state, and a financing structure that has become all but moot in this new found world of banking and capital markets.
    The Trails is our favorite site as evidenced by our activities of the past two years, but we need a stadium and we need it fast. This has caused us to keep us cognizant of other opportunities. “A Real Opportunity” to us means a few things: (i) capable of playing games in the 2011 season, (ii) provide access to adjacent entertainment and athletic amenities and (iii) provide a first-class fan experience. We think this is “A Real Opportunity,” and we’ve been working on it for the past few months and believe the Unified Government would be a great partner. As the most vocal of the ownership group, I know I’ve been absent this year, primarily because I wanted to make sure I actually had something to say and not just blow smoke.
    We’re going to show you renderings and break my cardinal rule (not showing the stadium until we absolutely positively knew it was the final design), but I think you deserve to see some proof of the work we’ve been doing. We’re still shooting to design the most authentic soccer stadium in the US and think we have a couple good ideas on making if very unique for the fans.
    The bottom line is that when we bought the team we knew we needed the stadium for the team, the fans and the viability. We’re doing everything we can to make this a reality. There are many more details to follow in the coming days, but I hope we can get your support and leave you saying, “here we go!” as opposed to your natural first reaction.

Thanks,
    rh

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb, thank you for the update.

3. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Ya gotta LOVE this guy!!!!

4. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. just wish it wasn't so laced with so much here we go again doublespeak. it looks as though some of our fears of putting the stadium will be at the legends may come true. i would rather have it at three trails but understand with the "retail" and "food" out at the legends already in place it is understandable that it would end up going there with the TTP obviously dying.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually from what I've been told, the 3 Trails Project is not totally dead yet.

In fact, I wonder if news like this could force the city of KC to do something to try and keep the project alive.

6. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb, thank you very much for posting this update...I know all Wizards fans have been anxiously awaiting word from the mount. I appreciate the information and look forward to seeing the updated renderings.

7. ILiveonHillcrestRoad

Jun 29, 2008
    Shawnee, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Robb --

Thank you for the posting. Thank you most of all for your commitment to Kansas City. My family loves the Wizards, but with the issues created by the economy for the Three Trails project I was becoming resigned to the inevitably of the team being forced to leave. Your willingness to go the extra mile to keep the team here (where they belong) is refreshing and very much appreciated.

I will admit to a bias in favor of the Legends because it is 15 minutes from my house. That said, it has always seemed like the natural place for the Wizards. Coupling the stadium to a brand new retail component creates risk for the whole project, esp. since Bannister had already failed once. But the Legends is already a success, and a new Wizards complex there will just be one more draw that will help insure the area's long term viability. Plus, the Unified Government has proven itself the visionary force in this region. KCMO and Jackson County, with no disrespect, just are not that right now.

So go for it, let the fans know what we can do to help!

8. ILiveonHillcrestRoad

Jun 29, 2008
    Shawnee, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Also, you better call something at the new place "Hillcrest Road" so I can keep the screen name!!

9. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wait with bated breath to see what you guys have come up with. I'm sure it's good, but I was really convinced that this would be an SSS 3.0 stadium (i.e., an upgrade certainly from Crew, Bridgeview, PHP, or BMO and even DSG, which is a decent facility), and now, I have to be honest, I am going to need some re-convincing.

10. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and btw, thank God you kept all this work under wraps--the "Move KC" trolls would have ignited a BigSoccer flame war to end all flame wars. It would have been insufferable.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the "Move KC" trolls were already starting to come out of the wood work very slowly lately.

12. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contigency plans are one of the keys to successful business. It is good to know that OnGoal has one and is acting on it at this very moment.

Proceeding forward with an SSS at Legends could very well force the City of KC and the State of Missouri to act on the Three Trails plan. If Three Trails falls through, it could be decades before someone else steps forward with another plan for the area and it will continue to be a non-revenue generating area that promotes crime and property values will go even lower which in turn decreases revenue in property taxes and will keep higher income people away.

If Three Trails does fail and we end up out at Legends, it wont be a bad thing. I think it could hurt attendance a little because you are not going to get the Southeastern part of the city as much. On the flip side, you are closer to southern JoCo and could bring more of those citizens out.

13. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, speaking as someone from southern JoCo, the Bannister location would be closer (11.2 miles vs. 24.9 to Legends)....but traffic would be lighter going to Legends. But I tend to agree with the basic sentiment of your statement.

14. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure hope this is just a move to push KC and MO into doing something- I don't see how the Wizards can grow and prosper at the Legends, let us not forget the huge attraction to Hillcrest was the ownership of EVERYTHING, BIGGER THAN DISNEYLAND EVERYTHING!

I know I am probably in the minority here but I hate Legends as it is now and probably still hate it with a $115 million SSS stuck on the exterior somewhere near by.

15. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The premise of this move is what I agree with more than anything else. The Wizards need a stadium and that does not mean "sooner or later" but rather "as soon as possible." Whatever it takes to accomplish this _and_ deliver a stadium worth bragging about... is what is necessary.

That being said, I do prefer the Three Trails complex more than Legends. I want the stadium to be _the_ focal point, not some side attraction. I think Three Trails is better situated than Legends (just look around at the population density...) and has better access (I honestly hate navigating through Legends... maybe the construction they're doing will make things better... but it seems a shame that there's two major highways next to the location but the retail portions only really utilize one of them...) I also worry that pulling out of the Bannister project could hurt the team's image in regards to the the people of KCMO...

Of course, I may be a little biased as well, being much closer to the Three Trails complex - but I really believe those points regardless of preference.

Still, if our chance at a stadium is to use Legends rather than the Three Trails development... I'm all for it. But I'd much rather see the team follow through with Three Trails unless it is a major disadvantage to do so.

16. dr_gooch41

dr_gooch41 New Member

May 6, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Star's report on the stadium deal

Here is The Star's story. Soccer Specific Stadium, decent plot of land directly in front of Nebraska Furniture Mart with dedicated parking lots.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1433346.html

The fact that Cerner wants to put a 600,000-square-foot campus there AND the fact that Village West might pay off all the STAR bonds by 2013 or 2014 (instead of the many years of payments with the TIF plan at Bannister) makes it seem (to me) like KC is going to have to get it's act together quick to fight back.

17. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the facts are facts and we’ve found ourselves with a beautiful site in southeast Kansas City, a partner in the city and state, and a financing structure that has become all but moot in this new found world of banking and capital markets.

coupled with

We think this is “A Real Opportunity,” and we’ve been working on it for the past few months and believe the Unified Government would be a great partner

tells me that they are all but moving to the Dot.

there is also lots of doublespeak in there as well that its not dead, still hoping and such but reads like its on its last leg and the plug is being pulled without an act of god or the governor whomever acts first

18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That was my first thought. I feel like Tolbert & Co. are going to have a hay day with this one. We tore down their mall and now aren't going to do anything with it?

I gotta say I'm a little bummed by the news, even if we did see it coming. I was really looking forward to the Hillcrest attraction as a whole. Damn economy.

I'm sure where ever we eventually get this thing built, we're going to make it home.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't see it either. please kc/mo... don't let this slip away. i really do hope this is a "fear of loss" tactic they're hangin' on the city.

minority, maybe, but you're certainly not alone.

at the moment, i'm very disappointed in this news. i'll keep most of my thoughts to myself, however, until everything is more out in the open and the plan is clear.

20. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is TTR applying some leverage on KCMO, but I don't think you bluff with this kind of money on the line either--you have to be prepared to follow through if Funk and the council decide that what TTR wants is inconsistent with the city's goals. You're driving off the car lot, and you are 90% sure the salesman will run after you, but you have to keep driving if he doesn't. That means having another option.

21. ILiveonHillcrestRoad

Jun 29, 2008
    Shawnee, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To me, the overriding goal is to keep the team in town, where ever that may be. Nor does the stadium have to be Jerry Jones quality. I've been to DSG and it is very nice. BMO, not as much to my liking, but I would gladly take it here if that means having a team.

The bottom line is, which governmental partner is going to get this done quickly? For those of you have been out to the new JoCo soccer fields on 135th, that is one incredible complex. JoCo had the will to do it, quickly, and it got done.

If KCMO cared enough to get this done, it would be done Sorry, I am just not seeing leadership there at the moment for anything, much less Three Trails. The Unified Government has shown leadership and has reaped the benefits. I'm not into NASCAR, but that track is an incredible thing and proof of what can be accomplished when the will to do it is there.

Robb's point is that if it can't be done NOW then from the Wizards perspective it can't be done period. Because of that, I think Three Trails is dead.

I agree that in theory it would be nice to have a destination anchored by the stadium. But in practice, I am not sure that will succeed. I believe the Wizards have a better chance of long term success and growth being a part of an established, successful, location with other popular destinations.

22. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A SSS isn't nearly the same scale as a speedway. I think KCMO gets some credit for their work in revitalizing downtown. The Sprint Center and P&L district is at least the same level of accomplishment as the speedway, considering the greater obstacles to developing in the core vs vacant land.

Agreed that it needs to get done now, but I don't see how Three Trails, which could be considered to have a head start in some ways (and behind in others, I know) can't be 'fixed' in time.

Disagree. The Three Trails area is a void waiting to be filled. I believe a mixed retail/office complex could survive there without the stadium, even, though the stadium would make it a success. The Three Trails plan is not a bad plan, it just has issues with execution. The Legends plan doesn't look horrible either, but I don't believe that it can be considered better than Three Trails. Maybe it's not worse either... but definitely not better.

23. ILiveonHillcrestRoad

Jun 29, 2008
    Shawnee, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am fine with Three Trails if it can get done. Mayor Barnes did the Sprint Center and she is not there anymore. The question is not what we would all prefer (and I would happily go to Three Trails, just as I went to Arrowhead), it is who can get this done. I see no evidence that KCMO can this done right now. In contrast, WyCo has put in the track (which was a HUGE deal) and the very nice T-Bones stadium, plus all the retail.

I don't know whether this is a ploy to get KCMO to move or not. But if the Unified Government is really interested in doing this, then I think that is where it is going to be.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the star's homepage now has the rendering, although it won't enlarge when you click on it.

[​IMG]

i can't really tell squat from that picture.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, it probably is as good as dead, but I can hope for a more central location rather than one way out on one side of the metro area.

BTW, I like how the comments so far on the Star article aren't really soccer bashers, instead they are people pissed off at Funk and the city council for letting this project get away.