FALCÃO: The forgotten Genius

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SoccerScout, Aug 27, 2009.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Paulo Roberto Falcão seems to be a player that in general terms has been forgotten by many or better not recognized by the new generation as the Genius he was on the field. One of the greatest players of all time, playing for SC Internacional, Roma (The King Of Rome as he became known there) and the Brazilian National team.

He was a Classy Midfielder with an amazing touch and vision that new how to defend and attack. A pure genius and the best player on the Brazilian 1982 legendary squad.

He was the complete player. He was great with both feet, a great header, a great passer, a great goal scorer, a great leader...

This video is spectacular.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-R3IQbn9Fs"]YouTube - Paulo Roberto FALCAO compilation (SC Internacional, AS Roma, Brasil)[/ame]

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think anybody who's watched Falcao play will find it easy to forget him. He's one of the best Brazilians of all time, easily top ten in my book, arguably top five, and that is saying a lot. Of all the stars of the post 70 pre 94 dry era of Brazilian football he's the best, along with Zico. Do you rank him ahead of Zico?

But not winning the World Cup probably hurt Falcao (just as it hurt Zico) in terms of historical recognition, in terms of people who didn't watch him play being aware of how good he was. Most of the best Brazilians and many who are not quite as good do have a World Cup title so it's easy for fans to overlook those who don't.

3. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    He was one of the central piece of my favorite Brazilian team; so I could never forget about him and the other great players of his time: Socrates, Junior, Eder, Zico, Paulo Sérgio, etc...
    It's too bad the highlight video above only show his goals, he was good as a holding midfielder too.

4. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i really think, secretly, redondo modelled his game on falcao. a pure magician and you could just feel his class when he was on the pitch.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is no secret that Redondo counted Falcao as one of his idols growing up, so certainly it is not a stretch to say that he modelled his game on Falcao.

Both were all-time great all around central midfielders, but while Redondo was stronger defensively, he had nowhere near the offensive repertoire of Falcao.

6. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Falcao was rare and unique in Brazil. Falcao played in the mighty Internacional dynasty. His gaucho style of play gave the circulation to the nt and Roma. Very good comparsion with Redondo. Like I said the best players come from Arg and Bra. Falcao will always have the title Rei de Roma.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If forgotten means "I think it's time for another SS thread"...

Falcao is what we need in our midfield today to fix the lack of balance issue that always comes about with the choice between a box or a 3rd volante. Give Dunga a Falcao and he'll give us the World Cup in 2010.

8. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The 2 players who imo are getting in the Falcao mold are Mello and Andre Santos.

9. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    He was also just one out of many in the Brazil´s 1982 star-studded roster, rather than an absolute star like Leonidas or Ronaldo.

10. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    And he still shined and played consistently well, a measure for true greatness.

Besides, according to the world’s journalists of that time (including the infamous Miljan Miljanic from Yugoslavia), Falcao was considered to be Brazil’s best player, ahead of all-timers like Zico, which is of course a great honor.
    Reference: http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/fifa-gb82.html

Falcao ended up being rated higher than any other Brazilian because not only he did score 3 goals and dish out 3 assists, but also because his work rate on both ends of the field was superior to any other player of his team. While Zico was Brazil’s top finisher, Falcao was the team’s main engine and stabilizer, by providing a great security to his teammates.

Certainly a truly great player, but unfortunately underrated by many.

11. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great points. Falcao so well combined the important characteristics of different positions, seemingly a lost art in this age of specialization and running But it was great to see Melo's goal for Juve, a Falcao-like shot from outside the box.

12. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Yes, Falcao was one of the greatests, maybe the best player of the 1982 World Cup ( with Bruno Conti ) . Why he wasn´t in the squad in 1978 World Cup and why he didn´t play much in the 1986 World Cup ??

13. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I agree! I think we chould start a thread about "Greatest players who never won the World CUp" -

- Brasil: Falcao, Zico, Socrates
    - Argentina: Di Stefano, Batistuta, etc
    - Holland: Cruyff
    - Hungary: Puskas
    - England: George Best
    - Portugal: Eusebio

14. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Northern Ireland - George Best

Also add in from the home countries,

Ryan Giggs - Wales

and a few Scotsmen. Pick of the bunch being Kenny Dalglish.

15. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    woops! please accept my apologies... too much Guinness does that to me;)