Post-Game :: Crew vs. C. Azul [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Crewed v. C. Azul

Goals scored:
    Brunner f up
    Hesmer f up
    2 by Marshall

I did not see the pk. I was unloading tequila

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What? A goal inside of 3 minutes of either half. Two OG's. A penalty. A stupid red. A keeper getting beat on a shot right at him from 30 yards. Terrible play almost all night. No fire.

I don't think awful says it all.

Putrid. Repugnant. Embarrassing. Disgraceful. Pathetic.

Make everyone stand up on the plane flight home, because we sure got are @sses spanked tonight.

Outscored 11-0 in two trips to Mexico. Maybe they'll feel so sorry for us that they'll bring their D team north, and they'll already be sitting on 9 points, and we'll have a chance in that one.

4. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really did not expect that spanking

5. FC TDG

FC TDG Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty much everything that could've gone wrong tonight, did. But give credit to Azul, they were the better team today. We'll get 'em back when they come here! :)

Robbie Rogers was the only player I was impressed with today.

Today's game also reinforced my opinion that Alejandro Moreno is simply a hard worker with nearly no talent who's made a living off capitalizing off the mistakes of stupid MLS defenders.

6. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

I'm wondering if that doesn't apply to more than just Ale. We looked completely outclassed from the first touch of the ball. I stopped watching @ 3-0, but I saw enough.

At least the 6-0 loss back in '03 wasn't televised here.

7. heithem

heithem New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm still stunned by the ungawdly awful passing. Nothing seemed to connect.

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

meh, like a tax write off.

Thank goodness it's still early in this tourney. It's not how you win or lose, but rather how you play the game. One touch passing possession, that's all I'll say on that.

9. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

...and, part B. We'd better come out Sunday and stomp an absolutely mudhole in NYRB then walk it dry. There needs to be some serious effort shown to enforce the idea this was a one-time slip, because following this with another poor showing, then letting it sit and reek on us for 2 weeks = not cool.

10. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

About what I expected. The Crew is no match for a motivated top Mexican side.

11. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Player ratings anyone?

Brunner: F-
    Marshall: F
    Schelotto: B-
    Gaven: B-
    Hejduk: B-
    Padula: D
    Moreno: F
    O'Rourke: D
    Rogers: D
    Hesmer: D- (Hard to fail him when his defensive player of the year scores one for the opposition and assists on another)
    Lenhart: C
    Ekpo: C
    Moffat: C
    Carroll: who?

12. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

You're being hella kind with those ratings. I'd give nobody on the field in yellow higher than a c-, and I'm not sure of that.

13. NoCowsGo

NoCowsGo Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Our play wasn't so bad. Without Brunner's red the score wouldn't have looked so terrible. I think we played better than the Colorado game, which we won.

Cruz Azul are simply leaps and bounds better than us - superior talent and ability. As, unfortunately, are Saprissa. We'll have to play lights out to stay close to them. It certainly looks like we'll need a win and a draw from Saprissa to get 2nd, since we're starting quite a ways back in goal differential.

14. 61(4 LIFE)

61(4 LIFE) Member

Apr 30, 2008
    a spanish concession
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so i guess me trying to limit my drinking is out the window after this game....here is to hoping we do better in the next leg.

also, i'm not in love with the idea of ale up top to start this game.....does anyone think renteria would have made any sort of major difference in this result?

15. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Gaven and Frankie were making runs and counter-attacking even down 4-0. I gotta bump them up from a C for not giving up. And Guille had three good services in the first half, but his night was over as soon as Brunner f'd up any chance at playing an offensive game. Ekpo, Lenhart, and Moffat didn't have much effect on the game for good or for bad. Padula didn't play terrible, just about his average game.

16. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I left BW3 in Hilliard after the Chad Marshall own goal. I am glad I did. What an absolutely crushing loss. It is sobering to see the level of competition internationally compared to MLS, especially after seing this and the DC game. The usual excuses of playing in Mexico but Cruz Azul put on a clinic on how to take control of the match and the Crew looked like there was no game plan. Phenomenal possession and touches by CA and they looked absolutely effortless. In front of a "crowd" that could care less.

I won't dis any more PR fans for their team bunkering against us. The Crew had to do it tonight against a far superior team. It is physically painful for me to type this.

17. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One positive thing is that with this loss CA will probably bring a B-team to Columbus and we'll have a good chance to beat them here and get our three points...much like what happened against Morelia a few years ago.

18. LarryB

LarryB Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Columbus, OH

Well I was pretty upset with the first half play, I can't say that I'm too upset to realize I fell asleep @ halftime and missed the second half.

19. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember Landon Donovan saying that in international games you can't hold the ball very long...you get it and pass it right away. The Crew held on too long to the ball and you can't do that. Also, the Crew seemed nervous at the beginning of the game, like they didn't want to run too much and get tired early. They were almost walking and that is why CA scored early.

20. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You must be joking. He was freaking awful tonight. How many times did he f-ck up and feign an injury to cover for his lack of ball control?

21. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999

Brunner: F---- (played stupidly)
    Marshall: F---- (no heart, multiple embarrassing mistakes)
    Schelotto: F- (no pace, awful passing)
    Gaven: F- (embarrassing)
    Hejduk: F--- (played stupidly, should know better)
    Padula: F- (multiple dangerous tackles, multiple long passes to nowhere, as usual)
    Moreno: F- (nothing)
    O'Rourke: F (not too sure here)
    Rogers: B- (great open field dribbling, no finishing)
    Hesmer: D (would like to see him move toward the ball when it isn't aimed directly at him)
    Lenhart: C (got his head on the ball at least)
    Ekpo: D (maybe Rogers should not be his mentor)
    Moffat: C (some nice shots from distance, none actually on frame)
    Carroll: D (?)

The entire defense spent most of its time trying to figure out to foul Cruz Azul, presumably to show how tough they were. The offense spent a lot of time trying to figure out best to dive and draw a foul call.

Pathetic performance.

Rogers was the only bright spot, but not even he could figure out what to do with the ball once he advanced it.

22. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I really hope that RR figures this out. How many times does he kill the momentum of a possession, then fire a cross into the chest of a defender four feet in front of him?

23. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH

I would expect Rogers to get a B from Missionary or Pastor but he didn't rate more than an F in my book. When you stub your toe on an open shot, can't beat the BACKUP keeper 1v1, can't beat a defender when the games is close AND dribble the ball out of the field of play while twisting your ankle; sorry, that's not a B.

24. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This game reminded me of WC06. Go down early. Make an effort to get back in the game. 1st half send off. Curtains.

As a response, I am hoping for the 2009 Garden State Massacre.

25. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Before you even get the ball you have to know who and where you are passing it to. And even more in these types of games. CA was playing one touch and that is what we didn't do tonight.