Stabbed in the heart (or back)!!!!!!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by shasta, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Months ago I had someone ftom the front office tell me that the "funding was pretty much in place". I guess that could mean everything was in place except the sponsorship money, which obviously is a big except.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, they are not. You evidently didn't read my prior post in which I said that Lew's rant is something I have personally heard before and is not new. It predates by weeks and months the Candlestick doubleheader and summer Real Madrid American tour.

3. sjsuvc2

sjsuvc2 Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Corvallis , Oregon
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember waaaaaaaaaay back when we all first talked about building stadium that agood way to help fund or raise money was takeing the greenbay approach. if i am correct fans could purches a brck for $ and it will be placed in the stadium and have there name on it and everything. it would help pay for some of the stadium granted it probbaly wont be a majority but its a cool way to get even more support and have the city council even more involved and other ppl here help out to. if you think about it. a small section in a corner of the stadium filled with bricks (could be painted blue if you want) with over a 1,000 ppls names inscribed in every one of them.

4. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Here are my thoughts on all this.

First to all of you who were offended by Lew`s comments, GET OVER IT!! I am glad Lew is not listening to the fans when it comes to coaching and GM decisions and it doesn´t bother me that he told the truth. This is a second year team that needs some stability.

The people on big soccer rarely agree on anything, are never satisfied as a group, and certainly aren`t the most patient bunch. As another poster said, if he´s not listening to fans about the type of hot dogs served in the stadium, or other issues of this type, than that would be a problem. I really don`t think we´d like the result if every time fans called for somebody to be fired the owner responded to the request.

As for what it will take for the quakes to be successful, I don`t think you can understate the impact of the current quality of play. Frankly they are just plain painful to watch and if I wasn`t such a die hard I probably would have stopped coming as well.

The first step to improving attendance has to be improving the quality of play.

I am also a big believer that building the `RIGHT` SSS will have a big impact on attendance. I think it would be a mistake to build a copy of the Dick, PHP, toyota park, or Rio Tinto. If you want to dramatically impact attendance you need to build a true Euro style stadium. I am a huge fan of Bessa (can someone post a pic) but there are other designs that would work as well.

The team could then market the `International Fan Experience´ in the new stadium and I believe people will come. Of course the team will need to be performing to keep them coming back.

Another way the team can help build attendance is to continue to improve the game day experience. I already think it is pretty good, but there are always ways to improve. The team should help the supporters groups market themselves so they can grow. Successful supporters groups improve game atmosphere which in turn will help attendance.

After the game in Seattle I also think it would be worth a try to hire a `New Crazy George`. Hold tryouts to find a local guy to lead cheers. It may not work but its worth a shot.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

- Margaret Mead

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed a spelling error. ;)

In any case, this is a great idea. The tryouts should be similar to American Idol (but obviously on a smaller scale) and be televised weekly on either CSN Bay Area/California or (perhaps more feasibly) on the Earthquakes website.

Potential candidates will be tested each week and then receive judgements and critiques from a panel of judges consisting of Krazy George, David Alioto, Joe Cannon, Q and one of us, each providing perspectives from the original inspiration, team executive, player, mascot and fan, respectively. 1-2 candidates will be sent home each week.

Then in the season finale when the new Krazy George is finally annointed, the current Krazy George will ceremoniously hand over The Drum to his successor and the season's DVD and Bluray Disc (both replete with special bonus features and interviews) will go on sale at MLSgear.com.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

7. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to look at the finances of this ..

Why do they NEED $5M/year?

If Wolff finances the whole $60M for 30 years at 7% that works out to about $5M/year in loan payments. Is Wolff paying for the entire stadium construction through naming rights?

Anybody know what Verizon is paying for the rights to the Coliseum?

8. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highly unlikely since naming rights deals don't typically last for 30 years. Maybe he just needs a big sum to cover the start of construction.

9. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey yeah. Whatever happen to this idea?

10. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A single deal doesn't, but modern stadiums almost always have a revenue stream from naming rights.

PacBell has always had a sponsor and Oakland is just about to sign their third.

11. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea!! 5000 fans * $1000 = $5M, right? This is MAX since 20% is already covered.

12. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a good article on naming rights -
    49ers stadium naming rights could have big payoff

Wolff is quoted multiple times including this -
    Other items -
    Oracle is paying $3M/year for the Oakland Arena rights - so why does Wolff think he can get $4M/year for his stadium?

CitiGroup is paying $400M for the Mets stadium rights!?!?!

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not $4M/year naming rights. They are looking for $4M/year in naming rights plus other sponsorships.

15. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it is not uncommon for naming rights contracts to be for 30 years or even longer.

The very first named stadium in this country "Busch stadium" lasted until the stadium was demolished from 1966 to 2005

Names change primarily because of
    scandal..."ENRON field",
    mergers...."Pac Bell park",
    Bankruptcy..."Adelphia stadium"

Naming rights contracts can and often to run for terms of 30 years or more. It mostly depends on the stability of the company buying the rights. In fact, the majority of 'named" stadiums, arenas and parks worldwide, are for long terms of decades or more.

The real key is that naming rights, is a relatively new phenomena with only a few examples older than 30 years. So it is highly likely that Wolff is seeking a long term contract of 30 years or more.

16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I like this guy...he seems to get it and makes a lot of sense. Sadly though, this highlights how far away we are from the mark, when it comes to building this organization successfully.

17. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the article. Here's hoping that next year we'll be able to get that long awaited Quake's scarf :)

18. David Alioto

David Alioto New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Dear Earthquakes Big Soccer fans,

Yesterday was a very tough day for not only the fans but for those of us in the front office as well. We have worked very hard in the last few years to keep our fans happy and to work with them to solve their issues or to take their suggestions and improve the overall game experience. We have also worked hard to improve our internal operations, i.e. adding a customer service department.

We also have an appreciation for Big Soccer. For the most part we have monitored the boards and taken some of the criticism to heart and in many cases have used your ideas to make a quick change of direction. While for the most part we let the discussions go their own direction, now and then I will jump on if I think I can clarify our position or do a “Mea Culpa” if required. We are not perfect here at the Quakes and when we screw up we try to correct it.

As far as the team goes there is not one person, especially John Doyle and Frank Yallop, that is not as frustrated with the team performance as you might be. Both of them are committed to the success of the team and are giving every ounce of their heart and energy to turning this around.

I did talk to Lew yesterday regarding the article. Lew was not trying to attack the fan base but instead he was defending two highly regarded people whom he employs. Not that anyone on this board cares but I thought it was very admirable of Lew to not just give the old “vote of confidence” line. I will let Lew speak for himself, but I can tell you that he does care very deeply for the fans. Do not let his backing of John and Frank change Lew’s desire for a winning team now and holding them accountable for this.

On September 19th, we will unveil some spectacular stadium designs at the Soccer Silicon Valley dinner. We will let the designs speak for themselves and hope that even the biggest stadium critics will agree that this is a place they would be proud of. We are all committed to making the stadium a reality in San Jose and San Jose only!

We chose this event because from day one SSV has been there giving us the fans side of the equation. They were instrumental in us launching the franchise early instead of our original 09 or 10 launch dates.

We will have a few other key announcements at the dinner that we think will prove to you that we have been listening! When we launched the Quakes again we knew that we would face extreme difficulties. Past ownership groups, which are some of the most successful sports owners in the country (Sharks, Krafts and AEG), dealt with significant losses year after year with this team. When you combine that with pulling a championship franchise away from San Jose it has made our task monumental. The fan anger was not all of our doing, but we have inherited it and now we must work twice as hard to gain your trust. While we accept the challenge, we cannot and will not succeed without you.

Thank you for reading this. If you have any personal comments that will help us all move forward or improve the franchise please email me @ dalioto@sjearthquakes.com

19. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting it.

20. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Class! This type of connection and communication is perfect! Let's see more of it.

Thanks David!

21. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    I am sure there are some who will bitch and moan, no matter what, but I have to say that I am glad Mr. Alioto posted here. Fingers can be pointed all day long, but in the end, the past cannot be changed, no matter what. All that can happen is to attempt to make the future better.

I am one who did not renew my tickets this year. Last season was a personal disaster for me (coronary bypass in August), and with the slowdown economically, I could not afford to be a season ticket holder living, and traveling, from the Fresno area. Maybe next season will be different.

In the meantime, the San Jose Earthquakes must live to fight another day, whatever it takes. I have no feeling of being stabbed in the back. Yeah, maybe things could have been done differently. That said, the alternatives were no team, ever, or no team until after the new stadium was built. I personally think the correct choice was made. At this point, it is heartening to know they are paying attention.

22. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see it broken down. What else could they sell sponsorships for - scoreboard, beer garden, ... and what kind of revenue would that little stuff generate?

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely as it should be, particularly for a team rightfully and thankfully named the San Jose Earthquakes! [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    1#. FANS ARE IN CHARGE. "While professional soccer teams have an ultimate fiduciary responsibility to the investors in the team, I believe two important factors steer decision making towards the premise that soccer executives should work for the fans. First, professional sports teams are a community asset that represents the community in a fashion unlike any traditional business. The investors are (usually temporary) caretakers of this asset for the fans. Secondly, what is good for the fans is usually good for the organization and investors. If the fans are happy, engaged and supportive of the team, they will spend more money, watch more game broadcasts and promote the team better themselves. Fans, and I am one also, ultimately cheer for the badge, the team it represents. They don’t cheer for the organization or the owners."

Peter Wilt for GM!

Hey Lew, read the above paragraph and commit it to memory.

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But still, why publicly release drawings of The Epicenter now when it reportedly won't even open by 2012? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G