Seltzer: Cooper to 1860 Munich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a beaten down FC Dallas supporter and fan of KC, I say hallelujah.

Go get 'em Kenny. Don't stop until you get a deal somewhere.

2. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I think Soccer365's article is pre-mature. According to FCD's 3rd Degree, bids from Bristol City and, probably, 1860 Munich were turned down. Unless 1860 has come back with a better bid that was accepted, I think KC ain't going anywhere.

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/07/cooper-staying/

3. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I actually think this is the right level for Cooper. He does well there, and the 1st Bundesliga club will come calling in one year.

A bit lower level allow him to focus on the tactical/technical side...and for a bit less pressure on the transition.

I hope he goes for this. Yorks tries to find the best player situation for his guys, not just the money.

Great stadium he'll be playing in. And the club has tons of supporters. If they were ever any good and in the 1BL, they'd outdraw Bayern Munich.

4. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

When Cooper's agent states they have an agreement in place and the move will be completed next week, hard to be premature about that if you are the writer.

5. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    The agent's a bit vague, no? Does 1860 have an agreement in place with Cooper (i.e., they have agreed to personal terms), an agreement in place with MLS that could be vetoed by FCD, or an agreement in place with MLS, FCD and Cooper, all of which are necessary?

As said, he could be referring to the bid that was turned down yesterday.

6. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to believe that anyone would go to the trouble of working out personal terms without already having a transfer fee agreed.

Not saying that very thing hasn't happened though.

8. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I'm not on the inside of any transfer deals, but it seems to me that happens all the time: I often hear reports that Club A has agreed to personal terms with Player X prior to establishing a transfer price.

9. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From 3rd Degree:

"According to 3rd Degree sources, Kenny Cooper will be staying with FC Dallas this season and is likely, at least at this point, to play out his current contract at Pizza Hut Park. There have been two serious bids for Cooper this window; the first, as reported various places, was Bristol City and the second, our sources say, was 1860 Munich. Both bids have now been rejected and Cooper will not be moving to either team at this time.

It’s not totally clear who rejected the offers, but it appears that Cooper’s people may have been as involved as anyone in deciding Cooper would play out the string with FCD. Personal contract offer as well as the transfer fee can play a large part in whether a deal is accepted or not.

Come January Cooper will be free to begin negotiations with teams for a free move following the 2010 season."

Outside of the contract stipulating that KC receives a swift kick to the nuts every time he steps onto the practice field, it's hard to imagine Cooper turning down the opportunity to get out of Dallas. Joking, but seriously.

10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Seltzer is as cautious as they get when it comes to reporting rumours. He usually waits until he has independent confirmation, which often puts him behind other journos. If he says this deal is a week away from happening that means he's done his own fact checking and isn't just passing along something he's heard.

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And Buzz is considered extremely reliable on all things FCD so maybe things changed.

12. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just got the following email from FCD -

13. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And the press release

14. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    SUPER!

(A can't wait to hear the scuttle-butt from Mike.)

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This happened with Charlie Davies and Rico Clark, and possibly Yura Movsisyan, just this year. It happens all the time.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Kenny. I hope 1860 is a good fit and that he is able to earn quality pt this season (and score lots of goals, of course).

hahahaha. You and the rest of bs. Can the servers handle it ;)

Any word on the transfer fee? And whether Kenny got his 10%

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news for Kenny. It's been a long, long transfer saga and at the moment, it appears to be a happy ending. The BL2 is a good league for him to continue to develop and to showcase his talents. 1860 Munich is a pretty big club for the BL2 and they've had some success with Yanks before. Truth be told, this is a better situation than Rosenborg. I wonder what the transfer fee was -- although since he was nearing the end of his contract, it probably wasn't all that much.

What's the forward situation there? It's time to re-familiarize ourselves with the roster...

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we can answer the ever-burning question: Is Kenny Cooper better than Yosh Wolff?

19. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an American fan of the sport who gets to most of 1860's matches, you guys can bet I'll be his loudest supporter at the Allianz Arena.

20. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    footy,

can you give us a breakdown who he'll be challenging for minutes? How many forwards do they usually utilize? Type of style?

21. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just did a bit of research and found out who the coach is at 1860: "Kenny, do not grab your crotch and point at your watch should you ever come on and score as a substitute."

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Wikipedia, 1860's forwards are:

Antonio DiSalvo
    Benjamin Lauth (former German Int'l)
    Charilaos Pappas
    Peniel Mlapa
    Manuel Schaffer
    Kushtrim Lushtaku

DiSalvo and Lauth have played a lot for them. Mlapa, Pappas and Lushtaku they just bought. And Schaffer is a young kid who they seem to want to work into the lineup.

Pappas looks like he often plays on the wing, so it doesn't look like he's actually competition for Cooper.

23. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also follow Sechzig, although not as close as footy does. Cooper is not going to get competition at all unless he screws up. He's going to start.

We're all very excited about this transfer. The Loewen can use all the help they can get. Let me put it this way. Some fans were fearing relegation this year but expected yet another midtable run. This transfer is giving some of us hope that we can make a run for promotion. I will forewarn you though that this club is run like a nightmare.

BS 1860 thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1060039

24. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    1860 has a striker named Benny Lauth who is the captain and he will not be touched....unless he gets injured.

Over the last few years 1860 has been searching for a striker that can help create as well as finish. Finding no one who can do that they have had to rely on youngsters they have brought up in their youth system.

KC will be competing against two kids who have grown up in 1860 (Mlapa and Schaefler) but will likely get time ahead of them. DiSalvo, who's contract expires next June, has been told he can leave so I do not expect him to stay. Lushtaku is a youngster and plays more a midfield/striker role. Djokaj is a recent one-year signing who will be a direct compete but I think the fact he has a 1 year performance-based contract speaks volumes to the faith mgmt has there. Pappas is listed as a striker but is more a wing midfielder.

I think he will get time. I just hope they don't force him to sit and "gel" first with the team. We've been discussing it here as well.