FSC gets Champions League rights in U.S.

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Epikoinos, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think ESPN has put the buying out of Setanta on hold for now. Maybe in a few years when the economy has recovered a little bit and budgets aren't as tight.

2. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree. They shelled out for Euro 2008 and did all the noisemaking about buying rights, but when push came to shove - they're 0-2 (0-3 if you include CL in LatAm) with only the US EPL rights to go.

I'd say given this, them buying Setanta and revamping Classic makes some sense, but them getting out of the soccer business during these economic times makes more sense. Maybe they have some other target they want to push - like buying the NFL Network and getting them on Comcast/Cablevision (heard that rumor too).

3. WCGooner

WCGooner New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listened to an interview with the FOX Sports International President David Sternberg, and here a few more detailed facts about FSC HD and the Champions League coming to FOX Sports.

- Live Studio for Pre-Game and Post-Game on Champion League match days.
    - Highlight Shows will be compiled by FSC.
    - FSC will show UEFA's weekly Champions League Magazine Show (which comes out every week throughout the season, even on non-match weeks)
    - Online Interactive Viewing through Foxsoccer.com
    - Commentary from the stadium by English language UEFA team.
    - Launch of Fox Soccer Channel HD at the end of 2009.
    - HD matches to be broadcast from the start of the Champions League 09-10 season on FSN HD, and the Final Match will be broadcast on FX HD.
    - Tuesday match days will have 3 live matches: One game on FSN HD, a second match on FSC (in HD starting in 2010), and a third match on FOX Sports Espanol which will have an English language audio feed that can be turned on.
    - Wednesday match days will have 2 live matches: One on FSC, and the second on FOX Sports Espanol.
    - Fox Soccer Channel is in 35 million homes. FSN is in 83 million homes. FX is in as many homes as ESPN (98 million homes).
    - All FOX HD Champions League programming will be in native HD, not a up-convert that ESPN uses.
    - Starting in January 2010, FSC will broadcast three English Premier League games in HD, and 4 Italian Serie A games in HD each weekend.

Overall, I must say, It’s just a better deal for soccer fans and the mainstream viewer. We get more games live, and more games in HD. ESPN only showed the Final in HD. We get all games that are shown on HD channels in HD (no black bars on the sides!). Also, starting next year we get EPL and Serie A games in HD (!!!!) on FSC.

4. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No mention of MLS in HD?

5. WCGooner

WCGooner New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far it seems like they've only talked about picking up HD feeds from Europe. They haven't talked about their plans for producing their own HD content (MLS, Fox Soccer Report, etc.) But I'm sure, with the entire channel becoming HD, they will start recording MLS matches and their own studio content in HD as well.

6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESPN gave up the rights to the UEFA Champions League in Canada as well.

Starting with the 2009-2010 season, the partnership of Rogers Sportsnet and Setanta Sports Canada will have the UEFA Champions League starting with the 4th qualifying round, plus the annual UEFA Super Cup from Monaco, for 3 seasons.

That leaves the UEFA Champions League pay-TV rights in the South Pacific Ocean markets, including Australia and New Zealand, to be decided. I do NOT believe ESPN will renew because those rights are non-exclusive as the same matches will air on a free-to-air channel in Australia.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you have a source for this. I only ask because you are telling me there is Goose that lays golden eggs, and I really like Golden eggs, but there is nothing worse than drooling over golden eggs only to find out they're just brown eggs.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I couldn't agree more. My biggest fear about this deal was Fox using its own announcers for the matches.

9. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Good news in that Sportsnet already has HD channels on BEV/ExpressVu to accomodate future HD feeds of the games.

SA

10. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Well, here is my take. Why is ESPN suddenly raising more awareness for UEFA Champions League. I just found out that for the first time ESPN2 will have a Preview show for the final on Primetime on May 26th at 8:00-9:00 pm. Look at ESPN's dedication to the final:

May 26TH: A PREVIEW OF THE FINAL on ESPN2 at 8:00-9:00 pm
    May 27th: Final live on ESPN(HD)
    May 28th: 12:00-2:00 am (Replay on ESPN2)
    May 28th: 8:00-10:00 PM (2nd Replay on ESPN2)
    May 29th: Champions LEAGUE Highlight Show on ESPN2

So, the question that i have is why ESPN still putting so much emphasis on the Champions League when they already have lost the rights to FOX Soccer Channel? The only reason that i could think of is that they are in the process of eventually buying Setanta Sports so they could be able to showcase EPL, and CL games in the US. Why would they lose the right to Champions League when the ratings have dramatically increased specially in the later stages, and breaking records for the final? Why would they depart from the rights when CL is getting more attention in the US? Or is this part of a bigger plan?

As mentioned in the article on EPLTALK, it makes sense for ESPN to buy Setanta. ESPN had over 4 billion dollars of revenue, so they have the money and leverage even during these hard times. They could go to any major bank and get the deal done because they have a strong balance sheet and the cash on hand. I think ESPN was ok with losing the rights initially to Fox Soccer Channel, but they get the whole package with SETANTA. IRELAND and UK are facing the worst recession in decades, and this will affect Setanta borrowing situation. They will have a hard time refinancing some of their debt, and their cash flow will be deeply affected. ESPN has the leverage and the money to buy SETANTA. There is no way SETANTA could survive on it's own if this global recession last till 2010/2011. We are going to see many more mergers and acquisations in the media industry. It is predicted to that we are going to lose about 700 banks in the US eventually and many banks around the world could go under.

To suffice, ESPN will buy SETANTA, and it is rediculous for those who claim that ESPN is going away from International Futbol. Furthermore, with the US bid for WC2018/2022, ABC/ESPN will make sure they get the rights for the next 2 WCs after 2014. I believe FIFA will negotiate the TV rights for 2018/2022 sometimes after the 2010 WC. At the end, ESPN's Soccer portfolio will look like this for the next few years:

WC 2010/2014/2018/2022
    EPL
    CL
    EUROs (they will go for the TV rights for the 2012
    MLS
    Confederation Cup 2009/2013/2017/2021
    Womens WC 2011/2015
    International Club Friendlies in the US
    Mens World Cup Qualifying games

11. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen to the interview here. It's the Monday, April 6th show. And the interview starts 55 minutes into the program. It's about a 16 minute interview. I''ve posted this interview several times on this thread before. But here is it again.

http://www.worldsoccerweekly.com/audio.xml

12. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. I mostly agree. I wasn't aware that ESPN had or was planning to have Confederations Cup rights. I've been looking all over to see what channels those matches would be on this year. And links would be appreciated.

13. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    While it still may come to pass, I think you are reading too much into the CL Final schedule - as it was most likely set well before the bids were made for the following 3 seasons.

These decisions are made in a board room headed by guys at Disney/ABC whose only exposure to soccer was their kids AYSO games behind the school yard. The decisions are made by the bottom line as that is what is not only expected of big corporations but governed by their responsibilites to the shareholders. The questions asked are most likely of the following nature: "So we lost the CL rights. Did we make money on those games? No? What do we make money on? The World Cup? Do we still have those rights? Good.". And on the question of buying Setanta, it most likely follows this: "You want to buy whom? Setanta? What is the return on investment? What do you mean exposure to the sport? Show me the money..."

We here at BigSoccer love the sport. The guys making the big decisions at Disney have a responsibility to their shareholders and cannot/will not lose money for the sake of love. Its 2 different worlds. Bottom line: If ESPN can see a good return on investment from buying Setanta, than its a possibility. Otherwise, I view the deals that have happened over the past few weeks as an indication of something we all knew deep down: Soccer is a niche sport and its broadcasting by a very niche (soccer-centric) market is a natural development. All of the games (concentrating on Europe now) being divided by FSC, Setanta and GOL TV over the course of the next 3 years makes sense when looked at from this perspective. If the sport shows growth in viewership during this period (which coincides with, hopefully, an global economic upturn) then we can expect ESPN to jump back in in 2012. Otherwise, pray for the "little guys" to at least break even so that we can guarantee ourselves continued coverage from Europe.

Just my opinion. I may be wrong.

SA

14. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I would not expect ESPN to give up the Champions league rights in Australia/New Zealand as easy as you make out. If that was the case about UCL not being exclusive ESPN should dump there NFL coverage all together as the games that feature on ESPN are also shown on CamWest new 24 hour Free-to-air Sports Channel in ONE HD. All of ESPN coverage of American sports would of been cheapened since the launch of ONE which has very similar line-up of American sports to what ESPN has and you get it for Free and in HD. After ESPN heavy investment in this region over the last couple of years with them re-acquiring Serie A rights and with them introducing a second channel (ESPN HD) I would think they will be try to keep as much soccer rights as possible

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESPN Australia and ESPN Australia HD does have the Serie A for one more season after this one.

However, the rights to La Liga are up after this season at the same time the UEFA Champions League rights are up.

International soccer is a niche sport in Australia, after swimming, rugby, Aussie Rules, cricket, etc.

I would not be surprised if ESPN Australia and ESPN Australia HD would give up each international soccer product as the rights expire. Why? Because international soccer is NOT a cornerstone product of ESPN Australia/ESPN Australia HD.

ESPN Australia walked away from the English FA Cup/English National Team/Community Shield package after last season to let Setanta Sports Australia take over.

16. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I would be totally shocked if they let everything go, Soccer on ESPN in Australia has always been apart of there service and I am sure a fair chunk of there core audience would be people who watch there soccer coverage. If they lost all there soccer coverage there loosing at least half there audience. When Fox Sports only being interested in the EPL it has left ESPN as the alternative football channel for years and years and they have built themselves up, Setanta is on board now but having a premium channel with very little premium content the majority of soccer fans I know are satisfied with just the basic sports pack which gives you all the Fox Sports Channels (EPL, A-league, Asian Tournements) and ESPN (Serie A, La Liga, Champions league, UEFA Cup, European qualifiers and MLS).

I find it funny how you say soccer is behind Swimming it is not rugby debatable depending on where you live, there is a huge chunk of Australia where people don't care or understand rugby and the same goes for Aussie Rules these are the flaws in our main sports and that is where soccer is catching up

17. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    When ESPN made the deal for the 2006/2010/2014 World Cup, it was for all FIFA events (except for the end-of-year World Club Championship, which FSC continues to show). This also includes men's and women's U-20 and U-17 Championships, which have mostly to date been shown on ESPN360 with some of the Men's U-20 matches on ESPNU (a couple of the last Women's U-20 USA matches made it to ESPN2). Since this years Men's U-20 is not occuring during the summer (too hot for Egypt, so it will be held in late September), its presence on ESPNU this time around is questionable since it is during the college football season. While I am confident that all the Confederation Cup matches will be carried on ESPN360, I am curious to see how many of these matches get carried on the ESPN networks. My guess is that many but not all will be carried. A positive indicator is that ESPN is carrying the entire six-game friendly "World Soccer Challenge" in July, while on the minus side is the start of the Wimbledon tennis tournament during the second week of the Cup.

18. WCGooner

WCGooner New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This info came from David Sternberg in the interview with World Soccer Daily on Monday.

19. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnmediazone.com/monthly_highlights.html

scroll down to June - then go to "soccer"

ESPN and ESPN2 will combined to televised 14 (of 16) LIVE matches from
    the Confederations Cup from South Africa - June 15-28 - including the
    semifinals on ESPN - June 25/June 26 at 2:00 pm ET, the third place game
    on ESPN2 - June 28 at 10:00 am ET and the final - June 28 at 2:00 pm ET.

LB: Wimbledon starts on June 22 so the only matches affected would be the
    two semifinals, third place game and the final. Wimbledon is exclusive to
    ESPN2 so the two semifinals will be shown on ESPN. No way ESPN will free
    up their Sunday morning shows like OTL, Sports Reporters and Sportscenter
    to show soccer (even if US is in the game) so ESPN2 will be showing the
    third place game. NBC will have Wimbledon coverage that afternoon so
    that frees up ESPN2 to show the final - not sure what ESPN will be
    showing that afternoon - maybe the final could be moved to ESPN if the
    US is playing?

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESPN, Inc. generally plans programming for ESPN and ESPN2 in the U.S. at least 6 months in advance for sales and budgetary reasons.

The plan to devote more time to the UEFA CL final on ESPN2 in the U.S. was at least 6 months old, long before ESPN, Inc. was blown away by FOX Sports International at the tender offer process for the next 3 seasons of UEFA CL.

With ESPN, Inc. now deciding to bury ESPN Classic (in the sports pack) instead of trying to fix it, the writing is on the wall. I do NOT expect ESPN, Inc. to put in a competitive bid for the 2010-2013 EPL.

The only way ESPN, Inc. will end up with the U.S. TV rights to UEFA CL during the 2009-2012 contract cycle is for ESPN, Inc. to swallow up Setanta Sports Limited during a distressed situation. That could still happen because Setanta Sports Limited does have near-term liquidity and funding issues that remain unsolved.

21. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, this is really getting carried away. Aside from the afformentioned 6 months advanced programming, maybe their goal for the match is to match or top last year's finals rating (which was impressive all things concidered)????

At this rate, we'll be reading about how ESPN is going to buy Setanta and FSC and while their at it, they might as well just buy UEFA and make it 3 networks of all soccer coverage leaving college football the NFL, and MLB as a distant memory!!!! Get serious, this speculation is obsurd. The most I can see them doing is making a strong push for the EPL rights, otherwise I don't see much else developing on the ESPN front until the next round of bids for the CL. If they wanted to show CL that bad they would have just put in a higher bid AND why would they want Setanta's rights when it seems like they won't be getting the top matches on any given matchday anyway? I mean if FSC is going to show the EPL matches then I don't expect ESPN to really buy a network just for the rights to show a Barcelona-AZ Alkmar match. Do you???

22. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't normally do this, and I'm liable to get smacked since you're a mod, but "there" "they're" and "their" are not spelled the same. It's also "a part" not "apart" and "losing" not "loosing."

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The CL highlights show on espn2 today was quality. Good insights by people who know the game, unlike what we'll undoubtably see on FSC next year. :(

24. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    okay you got me my spelling is not the best :D

25. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh really. I knew they had a bunch of FIFA events but not all. Was this after the 2005 Confederations Cup, because I don't remember that being on the ESPN networks. I am almost certain the english rights were on one of the soccer specialty channels.