Pre-match: D.C. United vs. Real Salt Lick:: 4/11, Rio Tinto Stadium

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dcuni_ted, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Re: D.C. United vs. Real Salt Lake:: 4/11, Rio Tinto Stadium

I do, but watching a match on my laptop isn't that enjoyable for me.

2. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is almost what I would have guessed, except w/ Jakovic on the left.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I forget about the home games that aren't televised.

4. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA

This from a man who will voluntarily stand on the sidelines and watch a game through a camera viewfinder.

5. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

Touche, but I go back and watch the game again on TV. It's amazing how much I miss of the flow of the game, but it's also amazing how much more I see (and hear :)) when I'm ten feet away.

6. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA

As far as lineup, I wouldn't be surprised if we see exactly the same lineup as we saw against Houston, with possibly the addition of Janicki. There was a post in the Academy thread about a game between the U-18 academy team vs United's "reserves". The reserves included Jaime (who is obviously out with the red card suspension) but also McTavish, Fred, and Tino. I wonder if that means those three guys are still working their way back to full fitness and aren't going to be starting yet.

7. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    time to kick some butt out there.

8. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, the most likely change is Janicki bumps Burch. Essentially, the Houston game lineup with the LA game defense.

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Perspective from RSL fan:

our lineup:

------------Rimando------------
    Beltran--Olave--Borchers--Wingert
    --------------Beckerman------------
    Mathis-----------------------Johnson
    --------------Morales----------------
    ----Findley-------------Movsisyan---

Rimando you know.

Backline: Beltran is the weak link on the team. If Joy (injured) is in, Wingert moves to the right and we are a bit more solid. Same with Robbie Russell, but he is also injured. He's really fast and experienced. Can't wait for his return. Borchers is a freakin' rock and does almost everything right. Olave is a beast, but makes a lot of overconfident moves that scare the living shit out of me. Wingert is solid. Your team should attack Beltran/Joy and test Olave.

Midfield: Beckerman is officially back at defensive midfield. He's a Rasta Destroyer as has been said before. Johnson has been playing very well, covers both ends of the field and has a wicked outside shot. Mathis has been shining lately, but he isn't good for 90. Look for Andy Williams around 75'. Mathis' vision and leadership have been incredibly inspiring. Morales has been heavily marked, maybe leading to Mathis' outstanding performance. If Javier can get back into his groove, he's as good as maybe even Schelotto or Christian Gomez when he was on. Javier is a big ? 2nd in assists last year with 15. None so far this year.

Forwards: Streaky. Movsisyan will piss Namoff off. I remember Namoff being a bit hot-headed; watch the matchup. Movsisyan took Chad Marshall off his game a bit, despite no goals. Findley can kill you, but he isn't consistent. This is because his ball skills are not well developed. We have affectionately given him the moniker "Rhino Robbie" in honor of his first touch. He will win any footrace however. He's coming off a hat trick. He scored with his left, right, and head. Pretty sweet.

DCU is an enigma. I have no idea what to expect due to all the changes. However, I remember coming out there last year and getting slaughtered 4-1 or something like that. I stopped paying attention, because apparently our team had too. It seems that the home team in our matchup is the clear favorite.

You guys represented with the huge flag last year. Hope to see you this saturday, and stop by the tailgate. I promise there will be free beer provided. Look for the Section 26 guys, but I'm sure anyone there would love to hang.

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I expected that Mathis will play LM and Johnson will play RM to help cover for Beltran. Additionally, it will entice DCU to attack on their right side against Wingert - a better defender.

I expect DCU will try and attack through the middle with quick touches to get behind Olave drawing a PK.

11. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like our former Colombian, Gonzalo Martinez.

12. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    Someone tell Pontius to shoot from distance...we all know Nicky is useless in goal from outside 25 yards.

13. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, he flaps at crosses, so get the ball wide and send it far post.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost typed this earlier, but it was such an absurdly unlikely thing I just decided to skip it :D

15. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    That we would get the ball wide and then cross it far post is not at all unlikely.

...now, the idea that someone might be making a far-post run and be there to meet the cross? Well...

16. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was counting on some of the young'ins not knowing that it's a DCU tradition to fail to make the far post run... :D

17. Boda United

Boda United Member

Apr 18, 2003
    No. Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know of a weblink to watch the game on? (for free?) :)

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you cheap bastards and your free feeds - it's no wonder we can't afford a stadium or a higher salary cap :rolleyes:
    ;)

19. sussexcentralsoccer

Nov 6, 2005
    Bethany Beach
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone from Richmond know of a bar that will have this game? I will be visiting my girlfriends parents there and would like to watch out somewhere instead of on the CPU. Last time I tried PennyLane Pub but the game was on comcast and they only had sat. Anyone know if they got DirectKick this year?

20. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could also post this in Supporters Abroad (Lot 8), as there a quite a few Richmonders there.

21. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Has anybody been to "Velocity 5" in Merrifield yet? I saw it mentioned on the SE page and it looks like a nice place. They don't mention soccer on their page, but mentioned some NASCAR event.

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Everything listed but the time.

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THe V5 in Merrifield has hosted SE viewings of United games before, I hear they like soccer - not sure if you can get sound without a group of people. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think there are a number of people who do go there for United games.
    One day, I'm gonna try to see a game at the Velocity 5 in Sterling.

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey i tried to go the legal route and just listen on the radio station's website for the last game, but the audio wouldn't load, so i then found one of the video streams.

I'll do the same this time around, if I'm free, to try to catch it.

It's like when I go into a store to buy a cd and it's out of stock (cause nobody really sells cd's anymore), then I go home and download the music. Either way, they're gonna lose money, cause either I'm going to Itunes and previewing the songs, and end up buying only a couple cause the rest of them suck, or it's so bad I skip it completely.

What was I talking about?

Oh yeah, fortunately I've never seen a DC United team so bad I purposely didn't watch them play.

It's like your favorite band's brand new 14th album, it's gonna suck, but you're gonna buy it anyway.

And one day, they'll do you proud and win a Grammy.

Grammy-Music-Seattle-MLS Cup-DC United.

Stay with me people.

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really. They're the same people that print subscribers to the WaPo are subsidizing.

I pay, they get free news online.