WPS Rosters?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Cville K C, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Will the league announcement identify the 18/4 split? Any word yet on the developmental players' status? What about transactions going forward? Are they allowed? How do they work?

2. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Here's some information on developmental players from Mary Harvey (via the WPS website):

Each team can have up to 4 developmental players, and these players regularly train with the full squad. Teams can use a developmental player when they fall below the 18 rostered players that are available to them. This could happen due to injury or an international call up, when players leave for national team duty and the WPS club team needs to replenish their squad while their rostered players are away or unavailable. After a developmental player participates in (e.g., is subbed in) a certain number of games, her team needs to move her on to the full roster.

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how one team has done it:

"The Boston Breakers and head coach Tony DiCicco released the team’s final opening day roster today, following three-plus weeks of preseason camp. Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) mandates that teams must announce their final opening day roster of 18 full-time players, plus four developmental players by today."

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid10494.aspx?team=boston

4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Way:

"The Los Angeles Sol of Women's Professional Soccer will open its Inaugural Season this Sunday against the Washington Freedom with 20 players on its roster (17 senior players + 3 developmental)..."

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid10536.aspx?team=la

I guess that is one way to be able to pay Marta.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting. very interesting.

eta2: There are 3 keepers on that Sol roster!

eta: Athletica roster doesn't indicate dev players, either.

7. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't noticed St Louis had Ashlee Pistorius in camp...she must have improved greatly from the combines...

Also good to see Nikki Cross on the side...I would have loved to see her stay local...

Should be a great home opener at Harvard Stadium!!

:D

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the rosters I've seen so far have 3 keepers, except for the Freedom one, and that's only because Erin McLeod isn't official yet. I would expect two of the keepers to be in the regular lineup and one of them to be developmental - at least that's the way the Freedom did it back in the WUSA days. (And we had to start the 2002 season with our developmental keeper because the other two were injured.)

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But I was surprised that the Sol kept 3 keepers given that they only kept a total of 20, not the 22 allowed. Are they waiting for a visa to clear or something? If they get an injury or two anywhere near an international call up, the Sol could be in for some trouble.

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They got their five Int'l players

12. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    FC Gold Pride has not issued a formal press release yet, but the roster page has been updated to include the following 22 players:

Adriane
    Allison Whitworth
    Brandi Chastain
    Carrie Dew
    Christina DiMartino
    Christine Sinclair
    Erika
    Eriko Arakawa
    Formiga
    Kandace Wilson
    Kimberly Yokers
    Kristen Graczyk
    Leigh Ann Robinson
    Leslie Osborne
    Lindsay Massengale
    Liz Bogus
    Marisa Abegg
    Meagan McCray
    Nicole Barnhart
    Rachel Buehler
    Tiffany Weimer
    Tiffeny Milbrett

Broken down by position:

GK: (3) Barnhart, Whitworth, McCray

D: (6) Buehler, Dew, Abegg, Robinson, Massengale, Erika

M: (7) Osborne, Formiga, DiMartino, Adrianne, Graczyk, Yokers, Chastain

F: (6) Arakawa, Sinclair, Milbrett, Bogus, Wilson, Weimer

(Obviously those positions are not carved in stone.)

No indication of who the developmental players are.

13. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that it would be highly risky not to keep 3 keepers, 2 on the regular squad and 1 on developmental, to allow for injuries, national team committments, international committments etc. There are a number of international keepers on the rosters, as well Solo, Barnhart, Henderson, and others with Nats experience.

14. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall that Brandi was a pretty good outside defender on the Nats. In a pinch, they probably have that one covered.

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis is doing the same thing from what I can tell. It appears that Solo, Jillian Loyden, and Erin Kane have all made the final 22, with I'm guessing Kane on the developmental squad. Solo almost surely will miss some time with the WNT unless they decide to give Barnhart and other keepers a chance for more playing time during friendlies.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I guess your statement about how they are paying Marta's salary and staying under the cap is closest to the mark :D

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't know if this has been explained already somewhere, but can anyone tell me what do "Developmental" players do? Do they just practice with the team and not play in games? Do they get paid? Can they join the regular team if someone gets hurt or gets waived? How does this work? Thanks.

18. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is Mary Harvey's explanation from her blog today:
    Each team can have up to 4 developmental players, and these players regularly train with the full squad. Teams can use a developmental player when they fall below the 18 rostered players that are available to them. This could happen due to injury or an international call up, when players leave for national team duty and the WPS club team needs to replenish their squad while their rostered players are away or unavailable. After a developmental player participates in (e.g., is subbed in) a certain number of games, her team needs to move her on to the full roster.

http://fancorner.womensprosoccer.com/profiles/blogs/final-rosters-and-itcs

It is a very confusing concept to those of us unfamilar to professional soccer.
    Developmental players are not counted against the salary cap, like the MLS, and fill out the team in case players are injured or unavailable.

19. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Has anyone noticed how many of the true college seniors did not make the senior roster spots? Many of the college players that did make a team had red shirted for a year or two, the teams certainly went for the more experinced former college players with W League or european league play. Except, of the course the Freedom, where it mattered that you played for the W-League Freedom. I can only count maybe about 12 true college seniors, not including develpomental.

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I figured out that Athletica has the youngest roster (developmental players included) with an average age of just over 24 years of age. They are the only team not to have any players over 30 (Sara Larsson turns 30 in May).

Athletica doesn't have many current college seniors, only Kane, Logterman, Weber, and Hanks. I guess Hanks is a red-shirt senior. But the team does have a lot of players who are just one or two years removed from college....Cinalli, Gray, Loyden, McNeill, Pistorius, and Woznuk. Maybe the 2007-08 graduating class had more depth. The 2008-09 class might have more talent, but isn't as deep.

The other thing to remember is that if you look at the active rosters of 18, that most teams have 5 internationals, leaving only 13 spots per team or 91 roster spots total. Only the Washington Freedom didn't use their international quota, so add 2 back for them and you get 93 total.

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking through the rosters to see how many WUSA players were still around. Most teams just had one or two, but Washington has four and Boston has (!) eight.

22. Washington Freedom

Washington Freedom New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Boyds, Md.
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Washington has six - Scurry, Sawa and DeDycker all played for the Beat (DeDycker's maiden name is Warren), Janss played for the Power and Lindsey and Wambach played for Washington. :)

23. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I missed DeDycker and then apparently miscounted. I probably missed a few other folks along the way, too, particularly if they got married in the interim and changed their last name.

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went through the whole list a little more carefully, and here's what I came up with:

Boston - 8 (Augustyniak-Goffi (ATL), Crumpton (ATL), Hucles (BOS), Latham (SND), Luckenbill (CAR), Mitts (PHL), Smith (PHL)
    Chicago - 1: Dieke (ATL)
    FC Gold Pride - 2: Chastain (SJO), Milbrett (NY),
    LA - 4: Boxx (NY), LeBlanc (BOS), Wagner (SND), Welsh (NY)
    Jersey - 2 : Daniela (SND), Solo (PHL)
    Washington - 6: Scurry (ATL), Lindsey (WAS), Sawa (ATL), Janss (NY), DeDycker (ATL), Wambach (WAS)

(I ignored the Hucles-Wagner trade since it occurred just before the demise of the league and had no practical effect.)

Origins:
    ATL - 6: Augustyniak-Goffi, Crumpton, Dieke, Scurry, Sawa, DeDycker
    BOS - 3: Hucles, Lilly, LeBlanc
    CAR - 1: Luckenbill
    NY - 4: Milbrett, Boxx, Welsh, Janss
    PHL - 3: Mitts, Smith, Solo
    SND - 3: Latham, Wagner, Daniela
    SJO - 1: Chastain
    WAS - 2: Lindsey, Wambach

Impressive the number of Beat players still around.