Stadium News XVIII:: No, we're not changing our name.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is where the ombudsman comes into play. Anyone else besides me feel like writing in?

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Working on it now.

If I could fight long distance for RSL's stadium, I can sure as hell do it for my own.
    Unfortunately, Chico, being intimately familiar with what went on in Salt Lake City, neither of their city papers ever printed letters from pro-stadium fans...or at least that was the complaint of the fans there. It was only when Checketts, with his Republican and powerful business connections in Utah, wrote to the papers that they had no choice but to publish his views.

So we'll see what happens here.

In the meantime:

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I will gladly write a letter if someone wants to put up an outline/form that we can just change, I've taken enough time writing my rep already :)

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I just sent:

EDIT: I just noticed I wrote "stay in DC". Old habits die hard :(

5. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a point both you and SeahawkDad are missing on though. The Post has always been slanted and is not concerned if it comes through in their writer’s articles one iota.

Here are their company goals, in nowhere does it say they have a responsibility to be fair, balanced, or anything; simply to be the “best newspaper” they can and be profitable amongst other things.

They know who their target audience is (and I’m not talking me or you the DC area resident and reader. I’m talking sponsors, shareholders etc); and it is not likely to be supportive of government spending to help a soccer team.
    http://www.washpostco.com/company-goals.htm

Company Goals
    1. To produce the best newspapers, magazines, television programs, educational services and other products we can.
    2. To run an outstanding business, measured by the increase in intrinsic shareholder value over time.
    3. To be not just a good, but an exceptional place for people to work, and a leader in the hiring and promotion of minorities and women.
    4. To be a company that provides outstanding customer service.
    5. To be creative, adaptive, flexible and intelligent enough to adapt to the changes in our business environment.
    6. To be a respected part of the communities where we do business.

I think their ombudsman will be concerned if they have an outright lie or plagiarism on their stories, but won’t be so concerned if a certain political agenda is being demonstrated in their articles, even if their job is to respond with reader's concerns .

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, you can flush #6 right down the toilet. Read thru Alexander's introductery remarks...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/20/AR2009022002269.html

This parts stands out for me....

If I do my job well readers will be empowered, and the post will be more accountable, trusted and essential.

If enough people take the time to point out there is a perception problem with their impartiality and integrity that the Post has been allegedley been known for then maybe it'll at least make the ombudsman's page. Something, anything to get our point of view across is important. The flip side is to do nothing. I choose not to do that.

7. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff has let us know we have some new allies:
    Let's make good use of this effort.

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They MLSRumers but not the excellent MLSRumorsRumors on their blogroll. Hmmph.

9. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh I'm with you, and I'm writing too, but I just don't have as much faith in them as you do. :D :p

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I have very little faith that The Post will move off of it's anti stance.

I, like Chico, think that if the ombudsman gets enough mail on this issue that he'll have to address it in print, thus getting our views into print with it.

Other tacks to take are those which some already have, responding civilly to letters that beg for education and writing letters of our own in hopes (perhaps ill-founded) that The Post will print them.

Meanwhile, Maryland residents who get local papers and the Sun need to watch for the same and respond. Additionally they could get ahead of the curve by sending letters praising Maryland's and PG County's foresight in grabbing an economic engine from under the nose of DC while filling the Maryland Stadium Authority's small stadium and concert venue hole, placing it right on the District's doorstep and within striking distance of Virginia.

The key point to make in response and in letters is that this isn't merely about getting a stadium for a soccer team. It's about building an additional source of event revenue for PG County and Maryland. It's also about having the foresight and courage to move forward while most are crouching in fear.

11. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I emailed the ombudsman:

Probably pissing into the wind, but if we lose this stadium battle I want to know that I did everything possible.

I never did get a response from my MD rep on the appropriations committee, I wonder if I should write her again.

12. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be wrong, but I think calling as little attention to it as possible at the Sun, for now, is a good move. Let's let the bill take its course through the session and see what happens.

I'm open to argument on the issue.

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense.

This may not be a big issue locally to DC. It was nowhere in the list of top 35 Metro articles.

Maybe that's why The Post ran that letter twice...trying to build controversy where it may be weak.

14. UknowImRight

UknowImRight New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mainstream media is so frustrating right?

15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    OK guys and gals, I know that this has been a frustrating topic for years and nothing is permanent until the gates open and the pitch is lined. But right now, we have the wife pissing on the stick, it turns blue and it seems that some of you are already turning in the college application. Just as we don't want to feed trolls around here, don't feed the trolls from the Washington Post. Let the process develop.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's not really feeding the trolls, it's a matter of getting the other side of the issue out in print. So far it's been extremely one sided. By those standards you'd think everyone in the greater Metro area is against the stadium. It's like what happened to the people of Ward 8, they got steamrolled with no one but Marion Barry speaking for them. I think enough people here are pissed enough to write. It's a doing something is better than doing nothing deal. If the stadium deal falls thru it won't be from my lack of trying, however miniscule it may seem.

17. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As someone with experience with trolls (;)) I can safely say that emailing an ombudsman is not "feeding trolls".

The ombudsman is there to hear these sort of issues and hopefully correct things going forward.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's no way to talk about Natty just because he's in class ;)

19. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Helpful Stadium FAQ posted on Behind The Badge...

Why does D.C. United need a new stadium?

• RFK Stadium is nearly 50 years old and simply cannot work for a professional sports team in the modern era. The basic infrastructure of the stadium is badly in need of repair, but the costs are prohibitive.
    • The majority of Major League Soccer teams play in soccer-specific stadiums, which are the appropriate size and include suites, club seats, and high-level hospitality areas. RFK has none of these amenities.
    • Former RFK Stadium tenants playing in the NFL and MLB have already left for newer facilities.
    Why does D.C. United want to build its proposed new stadium in Prince George's County?

• Prince George’s County is a great location for the vibrant, urban stadium D.C. United has sought since being founded in 1996.
    • This is an extension of the relationship that has existed for many years. The County’s location, infrastructure and diverse demographics are ideal for the team and our fans.
    • Prince George’s County and the State have made clear they want D.C. United to become a more integrated part of their community.
    • We have worked with the citizens of Prince George’s County for years as part of the team’s community efforts – and this is an opportunity to continue and enhance that relationship.
    When will the proposed new stadium be built?

• We hope to begin work by the end of 2009 and be ready for the beginning of the 2012 season.
    Where will the proposed new stadium be located?

• United is considering seven potential sites that seek to make use of existing transportation infrastructure – five are at or near Metro stations while two others have superior transportation access.
    • The team will work with elected officials and community leaders to select the site which provides the greatest benefit to the people of Prince George’s County, the state of Maryland, and to our great fans in the next 30-60 days.
    How many games will be played annually at the proposed new stadium?

• An independent study conducted for the Maryland Stadium Authority at the request of County Executive Jack Johnson projected that there would be approximately 60 events each year at the new D.C. United stadium.
    • These would include about 20-25 United games, Washington Freedom (women’s professional soccer) games, several University of Maryland Men’s and Women’s soccer games, NCAA and ACC championship events, major concerts and cultural events, and a variety of local events.
    How many seats will the proposed new stadium have?

• The new stadium will seat approximately 24,000.
    How many parking spaces will the proposed new stadium have?

• We estimate that the new stadium will require 3,200-3,500 parking spaces. However, we are looking at locations with public and/or private infrastructure or other alternatives, which we might share.
    • We envision the D.C. United stadium as an urban facility, anchoring a new neighborhood of homes, shops, restaurants and offices. Parking created for the development will serve multiple uses. We will also seek opportunities to make use of existing parking.
    • Our strong preference is for a site at or near Metro. We expect that up to 40% of our fans will travel by Metro to the new D.C. United Stadium.
    What are the proposed new stadium’s features?

• The new D.C, United Stadium will be a green, LEED certified facility and will include state of art interactive features for our fans.
    • Our new stadium will seat about 24,000 for soccer, and about 30,000 for concerts.
    • The stadium will feature 50-55 suites, 1,000 club seats, a full service premium client lounge, enclosed concourse, a large format team store and a full service pub style restaurant, which will be open on event and non-event days.
    Will the proposed new stadium be used for anything other than soccer?

• Yes, the stadium will also host major concerts, cultural events and other activities – which is a successful model employed at other MLS stadiums.
    • The stadium will also be used for a variety of community activities.
    Who is going to build the proposed new stadium?

• The Maryland Stadium Authority – which has an impressive track record of building similar projects on time and under budget – will build the stadium. The team will work with the MSA and the County to ensure that the community and our fans have a home they can be proud of.
    Will the construction of the proposed new stadium disrupt citizens’ life and county traffic?

• The new stadium will be strategically located to make use of transportation investments already made by the County and State, minimizing traffic impacts.
    • Most D.C. United games are scheduled for Saturday night, when there is not heavy traffic in the region.
    • Furthermore, if we select a site near FedEx Field, we will schedule games so that they do not occur at the same times as Redskins.
    If traffic improvements are necessary, who will pay for them?

• With the help of the County, we are looking for sites that make use of existing infrastructure, rather than requiring expensive improvements.
    • We are seeking no additional stadium specific infrastructure investment on the part of the State or County.
    What similar stadiums around the world will the proposed new stadium look like?

• While we plan to design a stadium, which draws inspiration from the traditions of European and South American soccer, we also want to be modern and American. So, while we intend an iconic look, we may not “look like” any specific stadium. Some very different stadia, which we admire, include the Phillips Arena in Eindhoven, the Emirates Stadium in London, the BayArena in Leverkusen, the VW Arena in Wolfsburg, and the new stadium in Valencia.
    • The nearly completed Red Bull stadium in Harrison, NJ uses a model that connects transit, retail and restaurants and a stadium in an urban setting.
    • For D.C. United, the setting for our stadium is as important as the interior. We want to connect to our community, and serve as a catalyst for economic growth.
    Will there be a commitment to minority and local business participation in the design, construction, maintenance and care of the proposed new stadium?

• Absolutely. United D.C. United is minority-owned, led by Victor MacFarlane and William Chang, and is committed to providing real opportunity for residents and businesses in Prince George’s County.
    • We will work with the MSA to seek qualified Minority Business Enterprises (MBE) during all phases of the project.
    • We will work closely with the MSA to ensure those opportunities for qualified local businesses are maximized, both during the construction phase of the stadium and after it is operating. MSA requires 20% minority participation.
    • Additionally, we are moving all of our business operations and training facilities to Prince George’s County -- we will be part of the Prince George’s community.
    Who will own the proposed new stadium?

• The Maryland Stadium Authority or some combination of public interests will own the stadium. D.C. United will pay rent to cover its share of construction costs.
    How much will the stadium cost?

• The stadium will cost $180 million to $195 million.
    How will the proposed new stadium be paid for?

• D.C. United and brand new tax revenue generated by the team and stadium will fund the stadium.
    • The team’s contribution is estimated to be $45 million to $50 million dollars, with brand new stadium-generated tax revenues paying for the remainder of the costs in their entirety.
    Will citizens and taxpayers residing in Prince George’s County, or elsewhere in the State of Maryland, have to pay for the proposed new stadium?

• No. The financing plan is entirely comprised of funding from D.C. United and brand new tax revenue generated by the team and stadium. It will not draw on the existing tax base or require lottery funds!
    Will the Maryland Stadium Authority have to float bonds for the proposed new stadium? If so, how will the bonds for the proposed new stadium be paid for?

• The Maryland Stadium Authority will issue bonds that will be repaid by rent from D.C. United and brand new tax revenue generated by the team and stadium. The Authority will not use existing taxes to repay the bonds.
    What is the likelihood that the new stadium-generated taxes fall short of their projected levels?

• The tax projections contained in the independent Crossroads Report are conservative in a number of areas. Moreover, the financing plan assumes growth rates on tax revenues well below the team’s historical pricing growth.
    Are ticket prices going to go up?

• D.C. United doesn’t anticipate dramatic increases, though there will surely be some increase. However, we will have a lot of different type of seats in the new stadium -- modern suites, club seats with amenities, fantasy seats, we might even have standing room areas. In the end, we want to be sure that everyone who wants to attend our matches has a category of seat which is right for them.
    • With seats currently available for as little as $22 on the day of the game, attending a D.C. United game provides an excellent value for those who want to see professional sports. We will continue to offer price advantages to our season ticket holders, and will continue to offer group-pricing options and special promotional offers. Furthermore, we’ll continue to work with community programs, particularly those assisting children in need, to provide complimentary tickets to our games.
    • We are confident the improved amenities of our stadium will show our fans that we are working hard to provide them a better experience in every way.
    How will a new stadium benefit Prince George's County and the State of Maryland?

• The new D.C. United stadium will generate $65 million to $80 million annually in economic impact in Maryland, the equivalent of more than 1,000 jobs. (Source: Crossroads Consulting Report, September 2008, commissioned by the Maryland Stadium Authority).
    • The two-year construction phase, slated to commence within a year, will produce about $300 million in estimated economic activity. Construction alone will create more than 250 full time jobs.
    • The team is moving its headquarters of more than 80 people to the community.
    • We will have internship opportunities and training programs in sports management and related areas.
    • The new D.C. United Stadium will be a regional attraction, drawing fans on a regular basis from all surrounding jurisdictions, and annually from all 50 states and a number of foreign countries.
    • The Stadium itself will produce approximately 30 new full time jobs, and hundreds of part-time jobs.
    How is this going to impact or benefit the adjacent neighborhoods and local community?

• Injection of new dollars into area and can transform and improve a number of areas through the growth of the local tax base.
    • D.C. United has a 14-year history of community involvement that will continue to flourish in Prince George’s County:
    • Serving hundreds of underserved children and families, each year, with United Soccer Club afterschool programming;
    • Promoting education through United Reads, which provides books, school supplies and reading incentives; and
    • Each year, the team offers more than 8,000 children a full game day experience, with free tickets through Kicks for Kids.
    • D.C. United is minority-owned, led by Victor MacFarlane and William Chang, and is committed to providing real opportunity for residents and businesses in Prince George’s County.
    • The LEED certified, green D.C. United stadium will anchor a neighborhood of homes, shops and offices – connected to the rest of the Prince George’s community.
    Is there a name for the new Stadium yet?

• No, there is not.
    Will the D.C. United corporate offices also be located in Prince George's County?

• Yes, as will our training facilities.
    Will D.C. United be a corporate partner with Prince George's County and the State of Maryland? If so, how?

• D.C. United is not only committed to being a part of the in Prince George’s community, but a leader – in sports, in entertainment and in positive economic growth.
    • We will work in many ways with existing businesses in the county. For instance, beginning in 2009, all of the teams coming to play against D.C. United will stay at the Gaylord Hotel at National Harbor – that will produce between 500 and 1,000 room nights and tens of thousands of dollars of food and beverage business.
    Will there be any other type of development surrounding the proposed new stadium? If so, what type?

• It is our intention that the LEED certified D.C. United stadium would anchor a neighborhood of homes, shops and offices – connected to the rest of the Prince George’s community.
    Why should the residents of Prince George's County support this proposed new stadium?

• A new United stadium will generate $65 million to $80 million annually in economic impact in Maryland plus the equivalent of more than 1,000 jobs. (Source: Crossroads Consulting Report, September 2008, commissioned by the Maryland Stadium Authority).
    • The new stadium will attract nearly one million visitors each year to Major League Soccer games and other major national and international soccer matches – drawing fans from, literally, all over the world. The games will be televised regionally, nationally and internationally.
    • The team and the University of Maryland have agreed to work together to attract NCAA Championship matches to the new stadium. Other major events, such as concerts and cultural events, will make the new stadium, and Prince George’s County, a regional destination.
    • D.C. United is minority-owned, led by Victor MacFarlane and William Chang, and is committed to providing real opportunity for residents and businesses in Prince George’s County.
    • The LEED certified D.C. United stadium will anchor a neighborhood of homes, shops and offices – connected to the rest of the Prince George’s community.
    • D.C. United will win championships and serve the community.
    • With 12 major domestic and international titles, D.C. United is the most successful club in the history of American professional soccer;
    • D.C. United has a 14-year history of giving, serving hundreds of underserved children and families, each year, with United Soccer Club afterschool programming;
    • Promoting education through United Reads, which provides books, school supplies and reading incentives; and
    • Each year, the team offers more than 8,000 children a full game day experience, with free tickets through Kicks for Kids.

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit. Now DC United is feeding the trolls.

I wish that someone from the state would come out with a statement about how this mid-sized stadium and concert venue, located near the District and within public transportation commuting distance from Virginia fits within Maryland's plans to compete for concert and special sports events dollars.

If they've got such a plan, this stadium becomes an important part of it. People need to understand that this is Maryland's stadium, not United's, and that it is part of the state's revenue generating strategy. Can someone please say 'new revenue'?

22. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Good to see some of their concept and vision put out there coherently, but they're still a little fuzzy on the financials.

23. UnitedBlack

UnitedBlack Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are all nice stadiums.

24. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I particularly like this about VW Arena:

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    But is it really new revenue or just shifting events from Merriweather and RFK to the new stadium?