When will Chester Stadium open?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by chapka, Feb 10, 2009.

?

When do you think the first home game will take place in Chester Stadium?

1. On schedule, on the first weekend of the 2010 season

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A few weeks into the 2010 season, after a season-starting road trip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The first half of the 2010 season; some home games held at another stadium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The second half of the 2010 season or later

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there's been some pessimism lately, I wondered what people really thought about the ambitious stadium construction timeline.

2. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will be done on time.

3. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm really glad to see this poll. I'm afraid we haven't done any polls in a while, and I am forgetting how these work. :p

4. PhillyDevil

PhillyDevil New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im optimistic but there are millions of things that can delay a construction project. i think it will be open early enough that a long season-opening road trip will not be necessary

5. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pessimist checking in.... first half of 2010, some home games at other stadium. But I really, really hope that all home games are in Chester.

6. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    True pessimist here: 2nd half of 2010 or later. I live in Philadelphia, PA. It takes forever for anything in this area to get done, be it in or outside the city.

7. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High hopes over here, a couple weeks into the season following a nice road trip to show off the squad and rack up some points it'll be ready for action. ::Crosses Fingers/Toes::

8. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High hopes is one thing but I don't know about this...

9. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's call it realism, this thing isn't going to be done in 12 months. So I am going with first half of the season, some games in another stadium.

Good poll by the way.

10. mitchul

mitchul Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they even started building it yet?

11. Blind3

Blind3 New Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Media, PA.
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a two or three match road trip to start the 2010 season.

12. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

I think we start with an away game at DC, then an away game in RBNY's brand new stadium, and an away game at a West Coast team.

13. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Following up on my Virginia compatriot, it seems that you can't be certain about these stadium projects until the steel starts going up.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and even then, it's not a forgone conclusion that the project will be done on time ... see red bull arena.

15. Eli Cash

Eli Cash New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Liberty Bank Stadium
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where would the squad most likely play as a temporary venue? I imagine that you'd have to go bigger than Chester Stadium to make up for the people who will have already purchased early-season tickets already.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    locally, it would probably be either lincoln financial field (which doesn't conform to FIFA dimensional standards) or franklin field (at UPenn). but that's all speculation.

17. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Villanova hold and is it wide enough for soccer?

18. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe 15k, but it's turf.

19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just wondering about this question, so I came to this forum looking for just such a thread. Glad it exists.

It seems to me like time is running out to have this stadium ready in time for the start of 2010. Look at how far along Red Bull Arena is today. And it's projected to open at the start of the 2010 season. Now look at how far along the Chester Stadium is today. Is it really still projected to open at the start of the 2010 season? At this point, I kind of doubt it.
    Not trying to argue with you guys, but those are some incredibly bizarre time estimations. You guys don't think it'll be ready to start the season, but it'll be ready three weeks later?!?!?

That's not a very logical assumption. If it's not ready for March 13, it probably won't be ready for April 3 either.

MLS will want to announce the home openers right after MLS Cup this November. If they don't think the stadium will be ready to start the season, they'll probably make you guys start with a two month road trip.

In 2006, Chicago didn't play their first home game until June 11. Groundbreaking at Toyota Park was 19 months before, in November 2004. By comparison, Salt Lake's stadium took about 17 months to build. Red Bull Arena is probably going to take around 21-23 months to build.

By my reckoning, if they start on March 1 2009 and really, really rush this thing, they might be able to get it done by May 1 2010. June or July is probably more likely at this point though.

For even more comparisons, with some stadiums "still-to-be-started", demolition and clearing of the Kansas City land just began in January 2009, and most KC fans don't expect the stadium to be ready until 2011. The slightly further behind Houston stadium project isn't expected to be ready until the start of the 2011 season.

20. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    first of all, RBA is set to be ready end of 2009. after the end of the season, but still, 2009. also, there were some huge issues with the land (i think something having to do with environmental cleanup or something) that wasn't accounted for. plus, it's going to be light years ahead of anything else in north america. perfection takes time. :D

i think chester could be ready for the start of the 2010 season or soon thereafter.

21. PhillyDevil

PhillyDevil New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can gather with a quick google search, this is how long it takes to build an MLS stadium:

Crew Stadium: 9 months
    CommunityAmerica Ballpark: 9 months
    BMO Field: 14 months
    Home Depot Center: 16 months from groundbreaking
    Toyota Park: 16 months, excluding site clearing
    Rio Tinto stadium: 17 months
    Pizza Hut Park: 18 months
    Dick's Park: 19 months
    Gillette Stadium: 26 months
    Qwest Field: 30 months

Opening day 2010 will be about 14 months from Chester Stadium's December 2008 groundbreaking. Tight schedule, but doable.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no choice with Crew Stadium--no stadium meant no team as The Crew left OSU's stadium due to stadium renovations there (and there were no other venues in the area appropriate at the time, as Cooper Stadium (AAA Baseball) had held soccer at one time but was only about 12K and astroturf). They also did one unique thing to get the stadium ready on time--they put down the grass first and built the stadium around it. It was also a simpler design and still did not open until mid-May of 1999. It will be tight for you guys as you are building a nicer place.