News: Crew Forums :: Non-08 MLS Cup Winners News Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, they would actually have to measure the 10 yards correctly! I've seen a number of times when pointy-ball lines were left on the field that only about 6-7 yards were given (straight on free kicks too and not at an angle).

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I've seen plenty of times when they are spot-on at 10 yards. I can't remember what league I was watching, but they had the same virtual technology used for NFL and NCAA football games, and they would draw a 10-yard circle around the ball when there was a free kick, and the ref would proceed to step off 10 yards and plant the wall directly on the arc drawn by the computer graphics.

If this spray works, it'd be pretty awesome.

3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Didn't another league use this spray a few years ago? Personally, I think it's another example of something that should be unnecessary if the referees would just enforce the laws already in place.

4. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it was Brazil. I thought it was very effective.

5. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be correct. I can't imagine how annoying it would be for a ref running up and down the field with a can of spry paint attached to you.

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania

The French Ligue Une did it on TV, you now see it on EPL games too.

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Agreed. Technology is a solution to a technological problem, not to human problems. Refs should enforce the rules, and leagues should back up the refs., not turn them into taggers.

8. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beg to differ. Technology does not exist to serve itself. New technology is developed to solve human problems.

In this case the problem is enforcing the rule for encroachment on free kicks. The technology (the spray) assists the ref to enforce the rule. Is it necessary? No. But then, people got from one place to another before the automobile came along, too.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    If the leagues and the clubs told the players to stop screwing around, they wouldn't need gimmicks like this.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many leagues are better at this--I was speaking specifically of MLS games and MLS refs at Crew Stadium--there was at least one case this season where I saw a free kick placed on a yardage line and the wall lined up just behind the next one--and *that's* only 5 yards. Even the Crew players (not to mention the stands) were pointing this out--but the ref wasn't having any.

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but it's an enforcement tool. Rather than standing there holding his arm out (and then hoping the wall doesn't creep up while he has his back turned), he can just pace out the 10, paint the line, and then tell the players that if he turns around after getting in position and they are in front of the line, they are getting a caution. And the player will have no defense.

Used properly, it'll cut down on gamesmanship.

12. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

13. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania

Entire walls have been booked for not moving back to the referees' satisfaction before now. All that's needed is an instruction to referees saying that they are to do that.

Wait until players and fans get hold of this stuff.

14. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a hold of what stuff?

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand your objection to this paint. The rules haven't changed. The authority of the ref hasn't changed. All that's changed is that the official has an additional tool in his or her toolbox to make it easier for him or her to enforce the rules as written.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only objection is that it's a gimmick.

Is it supposed to give referees some guts? Because that's really all that's required here. You set the wall, they start creeping, you blow the whistle, you tell them you're not going to tolerate it, you re-set the wall (probably back a little farther, just to piss them off, you signal for the kick, if they start creeping agin you start hauling out the cards.

It only needs to happen a few times.

17. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    The paint, silly. Ref's back is turned, someone puts down a new line while he is checking that an injured player is OK to continue.

You start messing with those markings, you make it harder for the ref. to exert his authority. Assuming someone saw the miscreant, they get carded, but then you add another offense to the rules.

It's a technical solution to a policy problem that adds unneeded complexity.

Maybe a chain gang would work better.

It comes down to the quality of the referees. Spray cans aren't going to make better referees. Collima could not have been a better referee if he had had Michelangelo drawing the lines for him, never mind a spray can.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right before the 2002 WC, the US played a game somewhere in Asia. I remember the TV production crew using CGI to put a 10-yard circle on the field.

19. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched a number of games where this technique was used. I found that it was very effective. A quick spray where the ball should be placed. A quick spray where the wall should be. Done.

A lot less time was wasted than having the ref and the players jostle for where they should be.

Give it a look before you judge. If you still don't like it, fine.

20. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Except that if it happens in MLS, everyone would scream the the ref is card-happy and it would be used as another example of inferior American officiating.

21. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee should also be given spray to use in a player's face every time they get mugged by five or six players complaining about a free kick decision.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something completely vile? I know just the thing.

Unfortunately, it may not have much of an effect on certain teams and/or players.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Blanco might enjoy it....

24. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I have seen the spray used, and I didn't like it. Again, I just wish that referees would simply enforce the laws. They don't need another tool in their toolbox; the tools they already possess are enough as long they actually use them.

I also believe, though, that the referees need to be confident that those in charge - both at USSF and at MLS - will back them up. I suspect that might have something to do with the reluctance to take back control of restarts. Cautions for delaying a restart are soft cautions, annoying cautions, the kind that you don't really want to issue but that in my opinion should be issued more frequently.

"Higher ups" continually want to emphasize attacking soccer, protecting playmakers, and free-flowing soccer. In my opinion, the continued delaying of restarts directly flies in the face of two of those - it prevents attacking and free-flowing soccer. I understand its tactical advantages, but then again I understand the tactics of fouling, yet people don't get all upset over cautions for that, even those fouls which aren't dangerous to a player's safety.