Calling All Goalies...

Discussion in 'Player' started by rolo01, Dec 14, 2008.

1. rolo01

rolo01 New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ashton, MD
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I'm conducting a survey with regards to goalie gloves where my question to you all is, on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 being the highest and 1 lowest, how important is grip in terms of goalie gloves? If grip is not important, what is? Finally, from your experience with various gloves used in the past, what is the one issue you most commonly are faced with?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions, any answer or response will be much appreciated.

-Roland

2. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a keeper coach, in conversation with literally hundreds of keepers, I find the two most important things most want in goalkeeper gloves are: 1. Grip, 2. Comfort; not necessarily in that order. Many keepers prioritize grip over comfort, others will sacrifice a little grip for a more comfortable fit.

The biggest issue most keepers have with their gloves? Durability. This can be either the palm wearing out or losing grip quickly, or other parts of the glove falling apart around a still-usable palm.

3. rolo01

rolo01 New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ashton, MD
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Great feedback, thank you. Anyone else?

4. FWS93

FWS93 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I am A keeper, Although on a strictly recreational level and i have to say that grip is most important. i started with a 14.00 pair of diadora gloves and the grip was terrible! later i invested 70.00 on a pair of rinat gloves , and although they are not the most durable gloves the grip made a huge difference, it improved my game greatly. i did some reading and apparently the cheaper gloves last longer but he grip is bad, the more expensive gloves have far superior grip but are not very durable, this is due to the types of materials used for grip, they are not as strong.

5. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    As I havn't played in goal for a couple of seasons this may not be as valid but i thought i should still put in some input. Personally although grip is very important, i feel support is paramount. Especially in the wrist, i remember really investing in expensive gloves primarily because of the wrist support. :)

6. rolo01

rolo01 New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ashton, MD
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    This is all great information. I encourage all to post any ideas or feedback. thanks.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Most important factor - Gloves gotta cost less than $35.00. A $100 pair of gloves are not going to make me jump any better or my hands any bigger.

8. locky29121989

locky29121989 New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ive been in goals now for 14 years 5 of those for first grade in the premier division over here in australia and its so hard to find a good pair of gloves over here considering rugby league is the more popular sport so im constantly trying new gloves all the time i order from justkeepers.com find it to be a good site ive tried all types of brand adidas reusch uhlsport nike etc i find that personally i love to get a feel on the ball and im still trying to find a good glove definately nike vapor with 3mm contact foam was good but the nike confidence with 4mm contact foam i did not like just try on a pair at the shop and find the best feel i personally believe u need to be comfortable and have good feel before worrying about grip but it still is a big debate