Hypothetical Supporters Section Roof Question

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Nov 6, 2008.

1. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    OK,

Working on economics and would like some opinions. Would you prefer a $15/game ticket in the supporters section without a roof over the section or a $20/game ticket with a roof? Not to say this is absolute, but have heard a BUNCH of roof requests on that section and want to get some sense. Let me know....rh

2. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna go with $25/game and _two_ roofs...

Really though, roof would be god, esp. the supporters section. I am willing to make that trade... I wonder though - if most people want a roof but some don't b/c they couldn't afford it, or if the reverse where some really want it but most don't... is it possible to have both? I'm just thinking that there could be one, higher priced, roofed section and another lower priced, open air section.

Of course, we'd need to have enough members to warrant this type of decision, but I figured I'd throw it out there for some thought.

3. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Sorry....I wasn't very clear. The stadium will be basically a four-stand design. The sidelines will both have a roof that will be to the touchline (or we hope, pending pricing); but we are most likely going to put the supporters section in the northern end. the question is do we put a "third" roof on that end.....rh

4. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I understood, but don't think my joke quite made it - the joke was intended to say that I wanted two roofs on the northern end. So I would have two roofs over my head.

As per the whole two section thing, if there was a roof at the northern end and no roof at the southern end, I think it would be cool to have a supporter's section on both ends... Not only due to the roof cost bit but also b/c having call/response chants would be awesome.

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Roof over cauldron, higher ticket prices. If it were me I'd eventually want a roof over all 4 sides.

6. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    You'll see when we release photos that we'll never have one over the south side because it will block the view from ESPN zone :) to the field.

7. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can PM or email me a rendering... I'll keep it to myself I promise

8. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go $20 and a roof, but only if it can be done without standing in the way of future stadium expansion. I wish I knew how we plan to expand when it's needed so I could give you a more informed opinion.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now, robb, have you been drinking?:) coming on here at 1am posting all these goodies. it's ok if you have. you wouldn't be the first person to throw a few back and then come on here posting random things to have a laugh.

if you're serious about an espnzone, though, how would that conflict/coincide with the wizards pub?

10. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Won't affect expansion. we expand in three areas that won't be modified by the north roof. we have the ability to expand by about 5,000 seats permanently and another 4000 for special events.

plus....let's call it as it is...if we can expand by several thousand and have to tear off a roof to do so, the economics will likely work out to do so.

so i guess you can't stay awake/post past what - 11? 12? w/o being accused of drinking?

espn zone will be completely different than the pub.....pubs aren't permanent sports bars...rh

11. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! Yes I think the effects of the roof will, in the long term, more than compensate for the effect of an extra $5 on the ticket price. Obviously the uncovered seats (or bleachers) at the other end will provide a cheaper option for those who can't/won't pay the roof premium so it sounds reasonable all around to me.

12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, no it's the combination of being way past regular business hours and dropping rather large nuggets like having an espnzone on one end of the stadium.

i'm joking, obviously. well, sorta.

again, if that's really in the works, i think an espnzone would be a gamechanger for people's opinions about the bannister area. that's the kind of establishment that people would expect in the power & light district, and it would be nothing short of a coup for this development... especially if it's developed anything at all like the cbs sports facility/restaurant at foxboro.

EDIT: and i can see 810zone being pissed as hell about it, as that's basically a local ripoff of an espnzone.

13. jaggdd

jaggdd Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much would I have to pay to ensure there'd be a nice pub with a glass front that overlooks the field? Not a corporate-y pub, but one with some decent craftsmanship and atmosphere, and a local KC feel to it. You know, a halftime hangout kind of place where you can still catch the action if you haven't paid off your tab or had your last mug of Drop Kick Ale yet when the match starts back up...

I would gladly pay $50/ticket if it included free entry to such a place. And unlike a box seat, you wouldn't be guaranteed a spot and free food -- you could just grab a table as they open up if you have a special admission pass on your ticket. Then go back to your general admission Cauldron spot to lift the flags again.

14. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a season ticket holding handsitter, this makes me very :):):).

15. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $20 and a Roof is my vote- There is little doubt that a roof will enhance the atmosphere of such a section along with blocking the hot sun and other conditions brought on by Midwestern weather patterns.

16. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    I go with the roof on one end option as well, and while you are spending money please have the roof over the sidelines and North end connect. Just my opinion, but nothing screams "high school stadium" more than a stadium with 3 independent stands. Also the gaps between the sideline and end roof let in the late day sun/blown percipitation making the roof useless when you consider a lot of 7PM start times. As always, thanks for asking for opinions.

17. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'd rather have it cheaper and WITH roof. but i guess you can have all the things in life. Roof is a def plus tho.

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The roof is a must for the Cauldron/supporters section. But I still think the ticket price for the supporters section should be the cheapest in the stadium as possible.

Make the ticket price as low as possible to attract more people into the Cauldron but add the roof to ensure the best possible atmosphere.

Bumping the price too high (roof or no roof) will price some people out.

19. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    We pay $20 a ticket now for now no roof. I am going to have to vote a big hell yes for the roof. A real functioning roof that goes down and meets the seats, turning that end into one big megaphone.

20. Evidica

Evidica New Member

May 19, 2008
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, $20 a ticket and it comes with a roof. I am in. Not that I dont enjoy cheering when its raining, but the chaffing gets really annoying.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with the higher price if it includes a roof for the supporter's section.

22. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious...has the stadium design morphed a bit or would this put us out on the north end completely segregated from the rest of the crowd? I had hoped we would remain on the south end where we could get the "wander-in" factor from the pubs. If the roof is the only deciding factor and most want the roof, so be it, but I think that there might be more to the decision that needs to be taken into account. Just my 2 cents.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Mark. Absolutely a roof over the Cauldron. I'm not sure about the $20 ticket price. It could exclude a lot of the people we're trying to attract.

24. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Give me, your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, and your tightwads.

25. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly - I'm amazed that there would be an option of $20 tickets in a new stadium (amazed, but very willing to accept it). And I agree that the younger, college demographic that we want more of could easily be driven away as prices increase.

I also am very much in favor of the roof, but as I remember the design, it does push us down to the end where we are separated from the rest of the crowd by large spans of concrete. Of course this may have changed - which is what prompted my previous post.