Pre-match: Wizards vs San Jose - Final home game of season? [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're currently holding onto a playoff spot, and can get a tighter grip on a spot this week with a win over the expansion Earthquakes, who have really come on during the second half of the season. With a win, we can eliminate the Quakes from playoff contention.

San Jose plays on Wednesday in Houston in a make up of the Hurricane Ike game, so they'll be coming in on short rest. It'll also be the return of former Wizards Nick Garcia and Scott Sealy to KC for the first time.

Big question is, how serious is the injury to Jack? Haven't really seen anything on him since he went off injured Saturday night.

Remember, KC Beer Fest from 1-5 out at the Legends.

Game is at 7 pm.

2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooh, double the pleasure. :D

Will this also be Sealy's last ever appearance in KC? IIRC, part of the reason we traded him was his intent to move abroad after his contract expires at the end of the season.

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this could be our last game, I hope to see Kerry get some minutes so we can see him off.

4. Craig-o

Craig-o Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Derby, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I understand it correctly, we can have a spot wrapped up this weekend.

Scenario (worst case with us securing):

We beat SJ, putting us at 39 points.
    Chivas ties Colorado, putting them at 35 points.
    RSL beats Dallas, putting them at 39 points, and with the prior result, secures a playoff spot, taking the 3rd guaranteed West slot.
    DC United ties Columbus, putting them at 35 points.
    NY wins, putting them at 39.

Eliminating RSL from the Wild Card picture, that leaves this going into the last weekend:

KC - 39
    NY - 39
    DC - 35
    DAL - 35
    COL - 35

In other words, let's close down SJ and hope RSL closes down Dallas. If Columbus and Chivas get a tie in their games, we're in.

5. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked him how the leg was when the team came over to the Cauldron after the final whistle, and he said it was fine. He did not appear to be favoring it at that point.

We are planning a multi-part Tifo to honor Kerry during this game. Will probably be later in the match, so I to hope to see him on the field as well.

6. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is a Chinese Downhill, er uh Tifo?

7. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him walking through the parking lot and I swear he wasn't even limping. Still, usually injuries (soccer, especially) have that "wait until you try and put weight on it the next morning effect". Hopefully he's fine.

BTW, and I know this might not be the thread to post it, but I just finished watching the COL-LA video recap; man, I loved having Jose here but this guy just cannot buy a break at the end of the season; he came in late in the game and you hear the announcer say " and here is Buruciaga with his first touch" and you see him give up the ball to the LA player who advances about 20ft and just unleashes a bullet for LA's 3rd goal (which was the game winner), keeping COL at 34 pts. I wonder if he'll be in COL next year.

Prediction for this Saturday 2-1 and hopefully everyone with 34/35 pts loses so the NE game means nothing.

9. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D Not missing Jose a bit.........this brings back memories of the NY game on the road late last season. I do believe he got benched after that game and his one way ticket out of town was stamped.

I saw on a N&A thread about the playoffs that we now have about a 75% chance of making the playoffs. We are in the driver's seat at the moment for one of the wildcard spots. Let's get this win so we don't have to worry as much about the last game................please?

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Uh....yeah.....and I've got some drinking to do...

Count Ben in!!!

13. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't qualify for SuperLiga- We can't get the pass to the Third Round of USOC- But we can still make the playoffs, and with 3 more well timed wins we could make CCL 2009-10

14. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As part of this, I need someone to commit to bringing 8 (eight) 8' x 3/4" pvc poles.

15. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh thanks, you'd think... in all my years... ....I'd actually try Wiki first.

No one caught the movie quote (rep to whoever does)

So did we ever scrounge anything together for Super Nick Garcia for his service here and effort for a thrice of championships?

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff's working on it. I can't remember Saturday how far he said he was. But that does remind me I need to email a photo to Jeff.

17. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that would be Hot Dog - the Movie.

Looks like I won't be making the beerfest due to not wanting to spend an extra $40 on a babysitter and I won't be bringing my keg back...since there are probably 5 or less pints left in it after Saturday...soooo....is there going to be a keg? I heard rumor of one, but wanted to find out if I need to make backup plans.

Oh and this is a must win. ;) <ducks>

18. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!! Plan on staying around in the Cauldron after the match.

Sorry everyone.....I guess that's my fault :eek::p

19. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i ask the keg question as well, its my turn to play the part of the family drunk...so i may be going to beer fest if i can work it into my budget then partake of a keg...which will there be hands of justice to go around as well?

20. Goalieo

Goalieo Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justice, Magic, and me will be Austin, Tx. and the hand will be making the flight as well. You guys could always make a new beer bong.

Hopefully we win because I want to go to a play-off game.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had mentioned bringing a keg, but I have had a few things come up and don't know if I'll be able to get one for this weekend.

22. CarlitosWay

CarlitosWay New Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Aww man, I am so jealous I can't be at CABP! Good call on doing something for Nick Garcia - he and Conrad were rocks in the middle for a long time.

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So, I got some bad news the other day. My parents told me they got 3 tickets to the San Jose game. Why is this bad news you say? I already have plans with my girlfriend in Kirksville this weekend. Ahhhhhhhhh!

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going to home depot and bed, bath, and beyond should not be called "plans," unless you're frank the tank. i know i know, kirksville probably doesn't have either of those. it is kirksville, though, which means that any opportunity to go on an out of town weekend trip should be utilized.

25. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he has reservations at the nicest restaurant in Trenton. Or LaPlata, IL.