WCQ Roster is Set

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by prowazekii, Oct 3, 2008.

1. bad565

bad565 Member

Feb 16, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOVE IT!!!!!!! Hell yeah about time we get to see the young guns! I cant believe bradleys boy eddie johnson was left off!

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great roster, finally.

Eddie Johnson. Youve been served. Finally. May Jozy and Davies make you a quick afterthought with all expedient urgency.

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    anyone who thinks BB listens to BS is delusional...

he has his game plan, and BS is simply notprivy to it...

for cuba...

-------------Ching
    ----------Donovan
    Beasley---Edu----Bradley----Dempsey
    Pearce----Boca------Gooch-----Dolo
    ------------Howard----------

presuming usa wins and goes to t&t in the hex...

-------------Altidore
    ----------Davies
    Torres---Szetela----Adu----Kljestan
    orozco----Demerit------Califf-----Hejduk
    ------------Guzan----------

ideally versus cuba, usa gets up 2 goals by the half and bring on altidore for ching...

and adu for donovan...

clearly, adu and altidore are being brought along....

cooper has kljestan, dempsey, davies, donovan and altidore ahead of him..

which of those 5 would you drop for cooper??

4. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Thanks, Adam. After putting too many capers in the pasta dish that I just whipped up and wolfed down, I appreciate the light touch of feminist poetry.

5. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would start:

--------Altidore--------Davies---------
    ------------------Adu-------------------
    Beasley-----------------------Donovan
    ----------------Bradley-----------------
    Pearce----DeMerit---Gooch------Dolo
    -----------------Guzan-----------------

6. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    cuba will be the best 11 available...

highly doubt any newbie or kid below drinking age gets to start..

t&t...BB can afford to be wild and crazy..just watch out for the hurricane season down there

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Can we all agree this is Bob's most interesting-looking roster thus far in his tenure? I sure think so...

Mind you, I'm sure the first XI will probably be what we already expected weeks ago. With most likely Torres making an obligatory cameo at some point (in both games).

8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I'm extremely excited about this roster!

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Agreed, this is progress, but we still have a ways to go.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, and the big question is which one of Jozy or Davies gets to play, and how much in these two games? I'm assuming that at least one of them makes a game day 18, taking the spot that would've formerly been held by EJ.

I doubt that Perkins even gets a game in, but I find it kinda interesting that he was called in. Thus far, who might become the #3 GK has been a total mystery. He's one I felt had the ability at least.

11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see Freddy in CAM with Landon and Altidore up top - I don't believe you need two different types of forwards just two creative, fast and good ones.

Line up:

Altidore - Donovan
    Beasly - Bradley - Adu - Dempsey
    Pearce----Boca------Gooch-----Dolo
    ----------Howard-------------------

Cuba has speed and will try to use it. We need a fast and flexible lineup and Beasly and Dempsey can stretch the field and cut in if necessary. Both Landon and Jozy can run at players and Jozy has the strength to play back to goal if necessary.

James

james

12. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    suspect we see cuba bunkering, so ching will start...

get a couple goals by the half and then adu and altidore see the pitch at start of 2nd half...

i do wonder what the 2nd group of kids show at t&t....barbados 1-0 in june and t&t is far better...

i suspect usa might not win....1-1 draw would make t&t happy...don't forget they beat mexico to get to the wc 2006 finals

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Here's what I would do:

Sat vs. Cuba:

------------Howard------------
    Dolo---Onyewu---Boca---Pearce
    Dempsey---Edu---Bradley---Beasley
    ---------Adu-----Altidore---------

3 Subs:

Davies
    Kljestan
    Hejduk

Wed. vs. T&T:

--------------Guzan--------------
    -----Califf---Demerit---Orozco-----
    ---------Kljestan---Szetela---------
    ---Donovan----------------Torres---
    ----------------Adu----------------
    -----------Davies---Ching-----------

3 Subs:

Altidore
    Edu
    Perkins (in a sinister plot to cap-tie him)

14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you are right, but I suspect most coaches consider your second squad as a throwaway that would tell him nothing about the future. In order for a game to be minimally valuable as a squad builder, there have to be some constants. If I were in charge, I would not change more than 3 of the starting field players in the game after Cuba. Need to build from stability, not introduce a whole new set of unknowns.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    indeed, i think we will keep the status quo starting 11, our chance for newer faces be it Torres, Szetela, Altidore, Adu, Orozco, etc lie in the substitutions.

The next match we may see quite a few new faces starting.

16. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZ, seriously, just stfu.
    lulz

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    why are people so high on Sacha, i think he lost or gave the ball away a staggering 70% of the time during the Olympics and his first 35min against T&T were horrible.

Great goal, but if he is in the middle of the pitch, you cant have someone turning it over 70% of the time.

That's Dempsey or Adu's role.

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    C'mon, this is N&A discussion. And what's up with the lolcat?

19. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    1. We're not gonna go 3-5-2. Give it up already

2. You still haven't learned how to spell Szetela after having been told 100 times. SZETELA HAS ONE L

20. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Here's what I would do, keeping in mind that I want some consistency to give my chosen new players a real shot:

Sat vs. Cuba:

------------Howard------------
    Dolo---Onyewu---Boca---Pearce
    Dempsey---Edu---Bradley---Beasley
    ---------Donovan-----Altidore---------

3 Subs:

Adu at LM
    Kljestan at RM
    Szetela or Torres
    These 2 are no more out of place wide than Dempsey or Donovan are when they play there. Beasley isn't that much better wide.

Wed. vs. T&T:

--------------Guzan--------------
    Dolo---Onyewu---Califf---Pearce
    Donovan---Bradley---Szetela---Beasley
    ---------Adu-----Davies---------

3 Subs:
    Orozco or Edu
    Altidore
    Torres or Edu

Torres and Orozco have to show enough in practice to justify a spot, but they deserve a fair chance to get one. Everyone else is probably already proven enough that they can be plugged in.

I wouldn't have bothered calling in Ching or Hejduk. Seriously why call in hejduk to backup RB? That's not a spot you should sub at or even take a spot on an 18 man roster.

21. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    Good roster. Hope it points out to the impatient here that BB knows what he is doing.

Here are my five cuts for the first game against Cuba.Injury to one of the starters may allow someone to claim a benchspot.

Perkins - Obvious third keper not needed.

Torres - First camp. BB practice of getting a player familar with system before he gets playing time

Davies- Altidore gets call. Could be the other way around depending of how practice goes

One of Adu/Sacha/Szetela

Orozco- Second camp.

The Cuban winger on their right that created alot of problems may influence a backup fo Beasely if he gets a knock .
    Here are my five cuts for the T&T game assuming a US win against Cuba sans any injuries.

Howard- Guzan will start and Howard won't be asked to backup.

Ching- Houston is playing a lot of games. They don't need Chinger overworked.This would also permit a Altidore/Davies paring up top, an interesting combination IMHO.

One of Gouch/Boca

Mike B.- Needs to get back to new club and fight for a position. Could be Edu, but not both as stability factor requires a basic starter set of players.

One of Beasely/Donovan. See reasoning above.

22. slickguy2011

slickguy2011 New Member

May 29, 2008
    ...............Altidore....
    .....Adu.....Donovan....Dempsey
    .........Beasley....Bradley
    Pearce....Boca...Gooch....Dolo
    ................Howard

This is a very attack minded lineup, but it is pretty defensively sound as well. Altidore/Adu/Donovan/Dempsey/Beasley/Bradley/Boca/Gooch/Dolo all consistently try to get into the attack and are sucessful at it too. The Beasley/Bradley pairing could be really good because they are both aggressive defensively and are good passers of the ball. Plus, can you imagine the potential Adu/Beasley overlaps. I think this lineup has a lot of potential. For all of those counting, I have proposed this lineup in the past, but this is the first time its actually possible. :D

After the first half:

-Sub Davies in for Dempsey. Push Davies high and replace Altidore into Dempsey's position.
    -Sub Beasley for Klejstan (Depending on how Beasley is doing)
    -Sub Torres for Donovan, push Adu ACM and put Torres out wide left (Do this towards the last few minutes as a mini-experiment)

23. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres seems to be left out of most of the scenarios suggested. Is that because those of you who have suggested lineups don't like him, or because you don't know him?

I don't know him. But, given that he seems fairly well established with Pachuca, if he shows well in camp, it wouldn't surprise me to see him start over Beasley. There's presently a big question mark at left mid and I'm very glad there is someone new competing for that position.

24. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    It does nothing of the sort. If picking this roster is enough to show his competence than approx 1195 BS members would be competent MNT coaches as well.

While I'm happy with the selections, Bob still has the option to put out the same old, same old. Don't be surprised if you get:

Howard
    Dolo Boca Gooch Pearce
    Donavon Edu Bradley Beasley
    Dempsy Ching

25. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG...Freddy, Jozy & Davies were called in & NO Johnson!! Am I dreaming or did BB actually gain some "common sense"??

My only "problem" with the roster is no Rogers or Cooper but, otherwise, I'm happy!! Now, let's finish this thing off & CRUSH Cuba and T&T, LOL!!