Stadium Thread Part XIII (the last thread?)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been getting little hints and clues from various people inside the organization, and piecing these together, I believe you are correct and Rio Tinto is our naming rights partner.

Just to clarify, I don't have outright inside information about this so I don't know for sure, but this is the only company I know of that fits all these tidbits of info that have come my way.

2. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Rio Tinto would be a great sponsor!

Here's the Wiki history:

Both the firm Rio Tinto and its name come from southern Spain, where the Río Tinto (Spanish 'Red River') was the site of an ancient mine which supplied the Phoenicians, Ancient Greeks, Carthaginians and the Roman Empire.[3] Its water is red-colored because of highly acidic pollution from acid mine drainage.

In 1873 N M Rothschild & Sons of London and de Rothschild Frères of Paris joined with other investors to acquire the Spanish government's money-losing Rio Tinto mines. The new owners restructured the company and turned it into a profitable business. From 1877 through 1891, the Rio Tinto mine was the world's leading producer of copper.[4] By 1905, the Rothschild interest in Rio Tinto amounted to more than 30 percent. Alfred Milner, 1st Viscount Milner served as chairmen for a period before World War One.

During the Spanish civil war (1936-39) Rio Tinto sold pyrites to the fascists on credit which allowed General Franco to trade with Germany and finance the war against Republican Spain. British investment in Spain was also a major consideration for British non-intervention in Spain.[5]

In 1962 the (British) Rio Tinto Company acquired a majority stake in Consolidated Zinc, an Australian company, and was renamed the Rio Tinto-Zinc Corporation (RTZ). The Australian company was renamed Conzinc Riotinto of Australia (CRA) but retained a separate corporate identity, with an increasing proportion of its shares being held by the Australian public.

The current dual listed company structure was created in 1995.

On November 14, 2007 Rio Tinto bought Canadian aluminium company Alcan Inc. for $38.1 billion.[6] Alcan's Chief Executive Dick Evans leads the new division, renamed Rio Tinto Alcan and its headquarters situated in Montreal.[7]

On November 8, 2007, rival mining company BHP Billiton announced it was seeking to purchase Rio Tinto Group in an all share deal. This offer was rejected by the board of Rio Tinto as it "significantly undervalues" the company. Another attempt by BHP Billiton for a hostile takeover valuing it at US$147 billion was rejected on the same grounds. Meanwhile, the Chinese Government-owned resources group Chinalco and the US aluminium producer Alcoa purchased 12 per cent of Rio Tinto's London-listed shares in a move that could block or severely complicate BHP Billiton's plans to buy its rival.[8][9] In the six months from November 1, 2007 to April 1, 2008, Rio Tinto's daily closing NYSE share price increased 16% from US$361 to $420, soaring and dipping along the way between $478 and $331.[10]

A takeover stake of up to 14.99% of Rio Tinto shares by Chinalco was approved by Australia, August 24, 2008.

3. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Registrant:
    Real Salt Lake

515 South 700 East, Suite 2R
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: RIOTINTOFIELD.COM
    Created on: 25-Aug-08
    Expires on: 25-Aug-09
    Last Updated on: 25-Aug-08

Administrative Contact:
    Ratchford, Davy dratchford@realsaltlake.com
    Real Salt Lake
    United States
    (801) 924-8585

Technical Contact:
    Ratchford, Davy dratchford@realsaltlake.com
    Real Salt Lake
    United States
    (801) 924-8585

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS25.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS26.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited
    Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited

4. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    riotintopark.com is available
    riotintocenter.com is available

riotintostadium.com is taken by RSL on 9/5/08.

If it's Rio Tinto, then it's probably either:

Rio Tinto Field

or

Rio Tinto Stadium (I prefer this one)

5. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I think Rio Tinto would be great for several reasons (in no particular order):

1. Not an MLM/Pyramid Scheme
    2. Huge international company, ~$30 Billion in 2007
    3. Founded originally in Spain, with Spanish name referring to a Spanish corpoation named after a landmark river... that in a way seems oddly appropriate to Checketts' homage to Spain in naming his team Real Salt Lake. To me it sort of "fits"...
    4. We don't have to worry about them going out of business any time soon (sort of loops back to #1)

If it is Rio Tinto, I think we got a Tier 1 sponsor! Hopefully they pay better than Toyota!!!!! ;)

6. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The potential URL for the stadium makes it look like "Riot Into Field"

7. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the URL for your stadium looks like "Homemade Pot Center" so I'm not sure what your point is.....

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    riot into field...? I like the sounds of that!

9. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The Rio Tinto Company logo looks a bit RSL'sh, no?

[​IMG]

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are putting up the net on the north goal right now, its definitely a euro style square net with no crappy rear posts for the ball to bounce off of.

me likey!

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe that will be in the south goal seats next year

12. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just checked, and tomorrow the goal will be taken down. I think they do it just to toy with us. :D

13. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

looks like the goal post fell down

14. MikeGossard

MikeGossard Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I am the only person here who doesn't like Rio Tinto for the name. It's hard enough having a Spanish name for team in an American league. Now this? Might as well move the team to Spain (just kidding). I know they are a valuable corporation and all, but.......... it just doesn't sound right to me. Flame away.

15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you want a name with a double Z? :D

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really great article and timeline.

Although I would change the timeline to say "May 2006: Corroon denies funding plan for the first time...January 29, 2007: Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon denies funding plan again..."

17. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Snuck in today to watch practice again and take a few more pics. I'm surprised at the progress made since Tuesday. All seats are done. You can finally tell that they are getting ready for it to come to life. Pepsi trucks making deliveries. Office chairs being delivered. Concession machines in place. Signage getting finished.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Davy is going to get busted for this? :D

Nice find!

19. edaw33

edaw33 Member

Sep 28, 2006
    CLINTON, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No man, I am with you on this. However I could gt used to it if I found out that they paid us a TON of money.

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rio Tinto has operations on every continent. It is a major multinational mining conglomerate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Tinto_Group

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking like a great stadium guys, I'm looking forward to visiting next year (Or maybe a playoff game this year?).

I have to chuckle at the sponsor though just because I think the Rapids should own a stadium called the River. ;)

<Insert Dick's joke here>

22. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how Oct 9, 2004 they unveiled the team name and colors, and now Oct 9, 2008, they will unveil the stadium name and "colors". Four years to the date. Kinda poetic if you ask me.

23. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Wow! Those pics were great! The stadium is absolutely fantastic!

24. Chris '66

Chris '66 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nice pix, and a fine stadium. Congrats. Can't wait to see it in action with a full house. A job well done!

[​IMG]

Now I know that the goal does not live at midfield, but look closely at the faint field tracings. Based on this shot I have to believe that they absolutley blundered with the initial specs of the pitch outline or it was set up for practice purposes only. Using the grass cut "shadings" as roughly 2.5 yards each (based on the 18 yard box) it seems the one half of the field is barely 50 yards long and it sure does look thin. The amount of room behind the goals is absurd. Fix this please!

25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I got my tickets for the 9/18 game in the mail yesterday (Friday). They came in a plain white envelope with my address and a Dallas PO box return address. No other indication that it was from the team/ticket distributor. I almost threw it away thinking it was junk mail.

Also, if it's rio tinto field, I'm calling it the Copper Pit.