Photographs from DCU - KC Reserves, 8/3/2008

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by MattMathai, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Here are some shots I took yesterday. Click on the image below to go to the gallery. The shot is of Ben Olsen ribbing Wolff, asking him "What's that, a doughnut under your jersey?"

NOTE: if possible, view the shots in 'original' size.

[​IMG]

The KC goals came in bunches, so there's no need to review them here.

#32: a Cordeiro sequence that proves that MLS has eradicated shirt-tugging from the game. (I like Pizarro's swan dive in #36)

#40: sequence of Kirk's goal

#46 Dyachenko goal sequence

#58: Dyachenko gets free in the box and makes a pass that...

#59: hits McKenzie in the arm leading to a PK.

#62: leaning that far back when kicking the ball is a good way to add elevation to the trajectory.

#77: My favorite image of the day.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice pictures.

3. s0ccerstud86

s0ccerstud86 Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Columbia, Mo
    Looks like it was a rough outing for McKenzie -- beaten on both goals and concedes the penalty.

4. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I thought he struggled occasionally with the pace of play. He was caught ball watching a couple of times. He's a rookie, right? He overcommitted a couple of times (getting nutmegged by Dyachenko) but he has good instincts. He has a good engine, and doesn't seem overawed by his surroundings.

I've seen that penalty call not made as often as made. Dyachenko flipped the ball to the outside of the area - it was an unorthodox pass - and the ball hit McKenzie's arm. Not an egregious foul, but he got unlucky.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, he's a rookie. His only "first team" action was in the first half of the US Open Cup against Seattle, where he easily could have been red carded and conceded a penalty. He was pulled at the half for Jimmy Conrad.

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what the hell is jimmy doing playing in a reserve match?

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, half time of the USOC game, that's what I was referring to...

8. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most people around here, myself included, felt like more than just Jimmy and Harrington should have played in that match

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh, right on. my mistake.

wait, the open cup game? which game are we talking about here?

EDIT: you know what, nevermind. i just don't care.

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright, i'll say it. that picture is one of the gayest pictures i've seen in awhile. unintentionally, of course... but still. olsen lifting up josh's shirt, the look on josh's face, the shirt of the dude on the right. maybe they're lobbying to get the rainbow logo back.

11. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Perhaps a little background info is in order. They were all happy to see each other, and greeted each other like long-lost friends. They've all been on the national team together, and they're all winding down their careers.

Olsen was giving Wolff grief about not being in shape. He lifted up Josh's shirt and Josh puffed out his belly and made that face - trying, I guess, some kind of dumb, couch potato face. The 'dude on the right' is Santino Quaranta. I don't like the shirt either, but that may say more about my sense of style (and yours) than anything else.

It was actually a very nice moment, and I'm glad I was there to see it. It was also nice to see Ben with his older brother (the last picture in the set.)