2008 SUM U-17 Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Napoli 10, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Wizards with a 8-0 aggregate after 2 games played. Now waiting for the result of the Tor/KC game.

2. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada's independence day (or their "not as big a part of the commonwealth day) is another day other than july 4th.

3. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    I think that was an answer to a question (phrased as a question to infer inflection), not a question itself.

4. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

TFC U-16 win again! :)

They beat KC U-17. Final score: 3-1.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty impressive. KC was racking up high scores, and now is eliminated. Tsk tsk tsk.

6. GKDaddy

GKDaddy New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Well, in a great 80 minutes of well played futbol, Canada's TFC Academy U16 Squad broke through the Kansas City Wizards defence to claim the top spot in their group, winning their third game by a score of 3-1. TFC went undefeated in the preliminary round with previous wins over Colorado Rapids "B" (2-0) and New England Revolution (4-1) to finish this phase of the tournament with nine points.

Garrett Cyprus (#1) played the full match in goal.

Ryan Mcleod (#14) capitalized twice from diagonal through balls to him on his left side, which he then took the KC 'keeper on 1-1 and beat him twice to the far side. The first came late in the first half, and the second came early in the second half. He was then subsitituted after the second goal by Russell Teibert (#10).

The Kansas City team then started to die down, until they came on an attack and won a free kick. The free kick was taken but deflected back out to the top of the TFC box, where it was then scrambled upon and another free kick was awarded because of a hand ball by Brennan McNicoll (#23). This free kick was taken and literally went through the legs of the players in the wall, and before he saw it, it was too late for 'keeper Garrett Cyprus (#1) to make the save.

Jonathan Lao (#7) then finished a header over the KC 'keeper which rolled in, to make it 3-1.

The wind was blowing strong in the second half in TFC's favor. Both teams had other chances to score that either missed the target or forced either 'keeper to make brilliant saves.

Advancing into the semi-finals was the team's first goal, their second; Spain.

For now, the team will rest and rejoice, and await their next challenge tomorrow.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard about any other scores?

8. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not in this case. All TFC videos such as TFC-TV and these highlight packages are being shot and edited by one man with his laptop computer.

Last I heard, he's editing highlights from today's TFC match right now in his hotel room.

B

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Word from DC was a 3-0 victory over Chicago

This should make them the #1 seed in the semis with a +8 GD to Toronto's +7. No other team in group c or d can get 9 pts.

DC plays Chivas in the semis - not sure who came out of group D

10. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm actually quite impressed by TFC's team. This is the first year of the Academy and we sent a U-16 team to a U-17 tournament and thus far we are kicking ass.

11. GKDaddy

GKDaddy New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I've heard that TFC will play Real Salt Lake. Don't know scores or standings as the SUM page is not updated. Poor site management with the technology options available in this day and age.

12. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rosters distributed at the matches showed Colorado with ony 18 players per team. Team composition was the surprising thing. Colorado "A" was comprised of the U-18 group + guest players from other local clubs (Source: Colorado "A" parent), whereas Colorado "B" was comprised of the regular U-16team. Playing the U-18 bunch should have been an advantage but it was negligible except against the Fire.

Sorry to burst your bubble but, with the exception of the Colorado "A" team, all of the teams are U-16.

MLS only sponsors U-16 & U-18 Academy sides. US Soccer Development Academy consists of U-16 & U-18 sides ONLY!

Wrong! See above comment.

TFC 3-1 KC
    NE 1-3 COL B
    COL A 1-1 HOU
    DC 3-0 CHI
    CHV 1-0 CLB
    NY 0-2 RSL
    FCD 1-1 LA

SemiFinals - Tuesday

D.C. United v Chivas USA
    Toronto FC v Real Salt Lake

13. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yah, and on top of that, DC is missing Arjona and Shaq Phillips who are effectively DC Youth. Add them to their team and it would be wipeouts all the way through.

Speaking of, anybody have any ideas on MLS Youth who have chances at call ups in the next two years?

If I had to guess:

Kassel gets called up after one year at Maryland for next season. (Maybe) First call up. Exantus could get the call too. (Starting next year teams get two call ups I believe)

Tristan Bowen gets called up sometime next year. He already has the body, has the skill, and U-20 experience. Plus, LA would probably love to make it a media story. It could really further their youth.

D.C. seems to be itching to call someone up. Arjona will be training with them this summer, and probably will get a shot after Bradenton. Hegngi seems like a solid bet to get a shot at a tryout, as does Shane Cook. Phillips seems a good bet in maybe two years.

Only Chicago guy I know is Ian Christopher. But Chicago has already gotten the green light on call ups, and I believe they have had some youth players on various national teams.

Chivas USA always is a good bet, but they seem to do it in a different way with their players. Can't speak on them.

Columbus has had very good players. Lubahn, Span, Speas, and some other guy who scored a lot of goals this year. Would be surprised if they don't try and lure one with a contract next year.

Houston is the last one. They reportedly were going to call someone up this year, but didn't. Four names were mentioned, but I don't remember them.

14. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Previously, GKDaddy posted!

You are kidding of course. For someone not attending any matches your game recap does resonate. The wind did blow during the 2nd half. TFC did win the match. The match was not particularly well played. Although, TFC was well organized and tried to play the ball on the ground most of the match was kickball!!!

15. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    You sure about that? From the DCU website, for example:

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/news/tea...t_id=169963&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Dunno the birthdates of all their players but Hegngi is a 91, so he certainly isn't from their U-16 team. Houston (who weren't in the development academy) had plenty of 91s too.

16. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I am not sure, although, I thought I was. I know coaches and others affiliated with the Fire, Rapids, New York, Revoultion & Dallas who, I have been told, brought their undiluted U-16 teams. Fire did add 2 players from U-18 but both were U-16 playing up.

Indeed, DCU's Hegngi played. If he is a 91 then, at least DC and maybe others, have "upgraded" their sides. This probably explains the dominance and maturity of the DC bunch. I guess if one cannot dominate a US Soccer Development Academy schedule then the next best thing is to load up your side for SUM Cup

In terms of Houston, their up-age players didn't help as they were a dismal bunch, although, they did field 3 very good players.

17. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    ...and it shouldn't be a surprise that two of the standout players you identified (Cardenas and Jimenez) were born January 91, while the third player (Perez) isn't listed on their website.

They really ought to list birthdates on the tournament website, as it's difficult to draw any conclusions without knowing how old the players actually are.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Why do they call this the U-17 cup if (seemingly) alot of the players are U-18??

19. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    A 91 could still be 16 years old. And as it goes, that can be considered "U-16 " in a way. Just has to be born after July (name the date).

20. GKDaddy

GKDaddy New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    WJMarx: No, I am not at the tournament. That game summary was provided by one of the players from our squad - with some editing on my part.

Anyone have results of the semi's from yesterday?

21. GKDaddy

GKDaddy New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    In Canada we use the international age groupings which means our U16's (for the most part) are born in calendar year 1992. Some of our players are born in '93 and are "playing up" a year on the squad.

Cheers!

22. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using the international age makes sense. I would hope that All MLS Academy
    teams conform to it, but I would not be surprised if it is a hodge-podge as are most things in MLS. Fielding U-16 & U-18 sides all season and then running a U-17 Cup is an example of MLS & SUM chaos! Hopefully MLS/SUM will reclassify this tournament as U-16 or U-18 and clearly define which birth dates may participate.

IMO each team should have been honor bound to send their U-16 i.e. 92 & 93's only but alas wininning some silverware is still more important to some. Condolences to the U-16 players abandoned for this tournament. A team who plays together should stay together.

The Fire Academy abides by International dates. 8 of their current U-16 side are "93's". Hopefully other teams have a similar make-up to provide a core of experienced players for next year and beyond.

I did not attend matches yesterday - so no scores to report. It sure is frustrating when the dedicated website is so lax in updating news.

I will attend the Final.

23. mctavish

mctavish New Member

Feb 5, 2008
  24. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    USSF academy also uses those age groupings.

I agree with WJMarx, it is a little silly to have a U-17 cup when the clubs are otherwise encouraged to field U-16 and U-18 teams.

25. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    DC won 3-0 over Chivas and will play RSL in the final (don't know the final score of that one).

However, one of our posters called the stadium and got a score from the DSG Park office.