Attention: Streamers Curtailed, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Ejected

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewfighter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From HSH_Crew in Supporters Section:
    "Well we just got a call from the front office and this is straight from McCullers himself anyone caught throwing anything including streamers at any point during the game will be ejected from the stadium. As well as anyone who is caught throwing a smoke bomb will not only be ejected but placed under arrested hurray for our glorious front office.

So no need to bring your streamers to this game unless you feel like listening to the game from outside!!"

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15046050#post15046050

Posted here as well, with my thoughts:
    http://crewonespot.blogspot.com/2008/07/streamers-completely-banned-throwing-of.html

Wanted to re-post it here so everyone would see it, make sure everyone you know is aware.

2. SavvyLemon

SavvyLemon New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Columbus
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

gone from loving the uniqueness of streamers, to hating everything about them in the span of a few weeks

3. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Re: Attention: Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested

Thank you Ralston and the rest of the New England wankers. I hope someone in Toronto takes his head off with a bowling ball.

We'll still get in trouble for it but what the hell.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  5. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guess their attendance is so great they can afford to lose another 2,000 fans.

6. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus

I have just heard another update: Chanting is also banned and anyone caught standing up from here on in will be instantly deported to Canada.

7. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it was probably the three smoke bombs that landed on the pitch Saturday night is what brought all of this delightful hurling of projectiles to a close.

Now, can we think of something that isn't stolen from TFC fans to try?

8. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't wanna punish the team, so to speak, but how about for this one game, everyone in Nordec silently walks in, stand sfor the anthem, sits the whole game and politely golf claps when the team scores. Nothing else. Nada.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio

Hey now...

Man - this seems like quite the blanketed rush to judgement by the FO.

10. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sucks, but can't say i'm suprised.

they said no streamers that disrupt play (i took that as including cornerkicks- so basically after goals or at kickoff or something), but the streamers still came out on corners.

it was clear smokebombs were out, but yet several were thrown the last game. thats probably what did it. it seems like they tried to have some leeway but those smokebombs finally did it. i dunno if its my 2 semesters of tort law classes but i can understand why a business would be worried and overreact to that.

i mean bottles were thrown, beer was thrown, (bananas- HA), and smokebombs were thrown- and it didn't stop. it was only a matter of time before they finally had to say "fine, you can't listen then you can't throw anything."

direct your anger to your fellow supporters that threw smokebombs and non-streamers and not at the front office. it was the irresponsible fans that brought this.

although, something makes me think that maybe even without these things the ban would have happened eventually. all this probably just made things happen a little quicker.

11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Could someone get McCullers to clarify whether throwing streamers in the stands is still acceptable or not? If the new policy is no throwing of anything at anytime, it's quite a departure from the previous no throwing stuff onto the pitch policy.

12. Tyree

Tyree Member

Dec 29, 1998
    Columbus, Ohio

Just another example of the inconsistency of the Crew's front office. They've been known to talk out of both sides of their mouths in their past.

Stuff like this has happened before...this was one of my old favorite songs...

We've been censored...
    We've been censored...
    We've been censored by thew crew...
    Northend hates us Aimer baits us and there's nothing we can do!

13. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I assume CSC security will quickly wisk away all 10 year olds who throw paper airplanes from the upper deck as well.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH

You forgot the last bit...

15. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's what I'm saying. We just sit down the whole time. Don't cheer at all.

If it was really up to me and if I could really deal with missing a game. I would have the whole section go support the Clippers or something on that day. See how well they get on without us, place would be a ********ing tombstone.

16. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

all of nordecke should get cowbells- cowbells, the new streamers*

*cowbells are not for throwing

17. HsH_Crew

HsH_Crew New Member

May 28, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio

As i understand inter-section streaming(If that is a phrase) is still permitted they just dont want it on the field at all. The reason I believe this is becuase the individual i spoke to said that if streamers continue to be thrown on the field they will start searching bags and confiscating streamers and we wont be allowed to have them in the stadium at all. So if I dont see why they would still let us bring them in if we cant throw them between our sections.

Im going to meet with a couple of them for a beer and get all the details and have this question clarified. Ill let you guys know as soon as I find out

18. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus

I could see why some would not go or sit quietly if it was just some random game, but it’s Chicago and it’s important in the standings. You show up for a game like this for the team on the field, not the FO.

19. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm flying in from Boston and there's about a 0% chance I'm going to a clippers game or sitting quietly. F CHICAGO.

20. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They need to make something very visible in the form of an announcement. Expecting a few group leaders and message boards to get the word out 100% is assinine. There will be people who bring things on Saturday who haven't heard, and if they manage to throw something or do whatever before a fellow fan can intervene, they're going to get bum rushed by security worse then ever w/o knowing of this policy change.

21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand what you're saying. But fcuk, do we need Zak to come here and tell us he told us this would happen, because he sure as shit did?

It's all a moot point now, but it struck me that the nordeck is right next to the stage, no reason dropping, not throwing, flares/smoke bombs, in a co-ordinated effort with the FO, right next to the section on the stage would be a good compromise. No fire hazard, no people around to get injured, etc., etc. But instead of trying to continue to work with Nordeck they move to squash it.

22. HsH_Crew

HsH_Crew New Member

May 28, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio

LOL I think that is their plan..We shall see in the coming hours if an official press release is issued.

23. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Repeat after me:

This is not the end of the world. They are not asking us to sit down and golf clap. Everything is ok.

24. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You should ask the guys in La Turbino (sp?) where you can get a Don Garber pinata made. Then you should beat the crap out of it on camera for FSC and the nation to see. If I were in Ohio I'd fund that project 100%.

25. HsH_Crew

HsH_Crew New Member

May 28, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio

I can just see the great publicity we will get when FSC gets Crew fans being led out of our sections in handcuffs that will really help the Crews PR... I CANT WAIT