Crew at Toronto FC 5/17 :: pre-game/wager thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Grouchy, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Their midfield is pretty decent now. Ricketts is better than Samuel. Not way better, just better. He is actually a midfielder for one, not just a lummocks of a striker. Robert's lost his killer pace but he still has the wand of a left foot - probably the best left foot in the league actually. Guevara - we all know about him and as for my old buddy from Wales? He can now concentrate on being a d-mid and let the others take care of the O. He should be pretty effective. I hear he wants back to Blighty now though.

If they win, it will be from the middle.

2. AJStank

AJStank Member

Columbus Crew
    Mar 22, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blog.dispatch.com/crew/2008/05/evans_in.shtml

Brad Evans in for Migs, Ekpo to come off the bench. The Evans love-fest continues though he is coming off his first goal last week. When I think of our midfield line-up, and not taking anything away from Evans, I just don't think teams are scared of a midfield with Brad Evans in it. If I'm Toronto I would be concerned if Ekpo played the full 90. Bringing Ekpo on early in the 2nd half would be ok if we're in need of a spark I guess.

3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi had done a nice job calling the games so far. I am not going to second guess him yet. I am glad he is not messing with Gaven's position. He is steady and needs to be in. Also, has lots of experience on turf with his prior team.

4. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F'in retarded, I'm glad Evans scored but Ekpo is still 20 times the player of him. I don't get Sigi sometimes.

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on now: Gaven's "steady and needs to be in. Also, has lots of experience on turf with his prior team." It was only with Steady Eddie out vs. SJ that we managed to score, you know. Situation's change; as in, no Adam Moffat again. And claiming Gaven's time playing in Giant's Stadium is a factor here seems an awfully big stretch.

Re: Sigi calling games well, I don't necessarily agree. I see the wisdom in giving a player like Evans time to emerge. But I'm not at all convinced he's one of our best XI now and deserves a start.

Was starting Migs the best decision last week? Or Gaven on the right? How defensible a decision is that, when the first goes down with injury and we score 3 goals in 10 minutes immediately after the second is subbed out? Yet many of us knew that's what Sigi would do, make the simple, conservative change.

Sigi talks about not caring too much about formations. Yet I don't see it in his roster choices. Instead of asking Gaven to play a more central, defensive role (and if you look at the team stats right now, asking Gaven to play defensively should be too much of a challenge for him), he just keeps digging deeper on the depth chart at that central midfield position.

The strategy, then, seems to be trot out a defensive line-up and see if we can keep it tight for 60 minutes. Then bring in Ekpo, if necessary. I'll admit that Toronto away is a big challenge. I've just not been impressed with our ability to control the midfield the last few games, and I think Eddie Gaven may be part of the problem, as other clubs realize he's not much of an offensive threat.

Change comes at a glacial pace with Sigi. This is just another example. Maybe NE at home will see Sigi consider a more offensive line-up. But don't hold your breath.

6. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evan is better defensively-at least he was at UC Irvine.

7. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Evans had a great game in the central midfield last week, beyond just the goal.

8. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always liked Evans and have never once said a poor word about him, no not ever! :)

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like someone to explain something to me:

Why are people who live in Canada called Canadians?

We don't call people who live in Germany "Germanians", do we?

It's pretty evident therefore, that the country's real name is "Canadia"

[​IMG]

10. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Surrender pronto, or we'll level Toronto!!

11. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in an email from the crew about the upcoming game

will there be a ping pong match at halftime or did the scot make a miraculous comeback that we dont know about?

12. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lets frickin hope so! With all this controversy about Evans, Gaven and Ekpo wouldn't it be great to roll out with pretty much the exact line up (save Miglioranzi for EZ @ left back) from opening day. I for one would be happy to see Moffat out there, but I would be worried he might re-injure it being on turf and his style of play...

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Moffat hasn't even been running at practice yet.

He isn't making the trip.

14. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

Which is why his performance on Saturday will be even more remarkable...

15. emdee

emdee New Member

May 15, 2008
    i'm not sure what makes you think people from germany should be called germanians or canada should be called canadia but this might help sort things out for you as it talks a bit about the suffixes used by different demonyns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonym

go tfc!

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoo Socky Sockerson...

17. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I shouldn't be surprised by this. I really shouldn't.

18. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you're really trying to say is that you are Canadese?

:D

19. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sometimes I just don't get this board.

So tell me exactly how Sigi is playing overly defensive when we lead the league in goals, shots, SOG, and corners?

Or how playing a player that came into the league a forward and has basically come in as a winger for most of the games off the bench and had a pretty good game in the center offensively against SJ is "overly defensive?"

How does Migs going down to injury prove it was the wrong move to play him? And was I mistaken in that with Gaven in, the Crew were creating chances just fine, but just didn't get that last umph in? It wasn't like the Crew were getting dominated and then Gaven left and viola suddenly they were good again.

As much as we like to question Sigi and his choices, come on, they HAVE all come up roses so far. He's pushed every right button with this team. If he thinks Evans is good in the center and Ekpo off the bench to start the game is right, I can't see questioning him now.

20. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    "Canada" is an anglicization of a native American phrase meaning "my village." They were the first words heard by English explorers when they landed somewhere in what is now Canada.

22. Coach Dad

Coach Dad Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Then are we sure it doesn't mean "Who the hell are THESE people?"

23. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
    Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.
    Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
    Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
    Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

24. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Glad to see the name still holds meaning after all these centuries...

25. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something isn't right. It's Friday, and we haven't been overrun by red-clad idiots. Something is up.