KC Wizards Stadium News/Discussion 08.2 (Now Governor approved!)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: KC Wizards Stadium News/Discussion 08.2

Not an expert in Missouri state politics, but usually a conference committee is a committee made up of members of both chambers trying to hammer out a deal between whatever the differences are.

So it's one committee, not one in each house. Hopefully that means things are getting really close.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That makes sense, thanks for the insight.

3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes and since I believe the same party controls both houses, these will not be major philosophical differences. They should be resolving details (again, whatever their disagreement, it doesn't look like it has anything to do with the 3 trails project) and shouldn't really come to blows on anything. Members of both parties will be present I'm sure, but the party in control usually makes sure they have more representation in the conference commitee. Very promising.

4. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of things I would like to add:
    1. The bad news? $10 million is not the figure I would have expected to see from the state in this thing, although my concept of the city, state and private shares of it may be totally off base. That said, money is harder to come by now than it has been in a LONG while. Cost of capital is pretty high. No one trusts the bond markets anymore, and no one wants to take risks in the current environment. Bad timing for us, don't really think we could have done anything about that. In that light, I think it would be wise to accept some compromises. There will not be LCD monitors on the back of each seat. Nor will they be heated. Personal valets for cauldron leadership are probably out the window as well. ;) I am even prepared for (gasp) some bleachers. If it turns out to be Crew Stadium painted Wizards Cobalt Blue (R) I'll still call it home. Although I think it might be wiser to follow the PHP example and build something serviceable to start and wait for the financial crisis to blow over before finishing the thing. Just my thoughts.
    2. As soon as this thing is a financial and political certainty, which I believe will be as soon as the amended budget is passed by both MO Houses, a party is a moral imperative. We should begin thinking about this soon. Blowout does not begin to suggest what this thing should be. Don't let me down. :D

5. Geomancer

Geomancer New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

I didn't even know Ice-T lived in Missouri, does anyone know what district he represents?

:D

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Bull shit!!! Our owners have repeated told us this is going to be a stadium to be damn proud of. We'd better get something better than PHP or Bridgeview.

7. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the economy hadn't done it's very best impression of 1973, I would agree 100%. But I don't think you realize how badly hamstrung gentrification projects are right now--bond yields are up, prices down. It's a miracle this wasn't shelved for another 2 years, imo. OTOH they may surprise me, but I'm definitely mentally prepared for some diminished features here and there.

8. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City

I would never tell citizens that they should not contact elected officials about their issues - in fact I spend a lot of time trying to GET people to do just that. But for now, I think it would be better to lay low and not to make calls to the conference committee members, because it looks like the line item for our funding is closed, which is good. Of course it's never over until it's over and the Governor has signed the bills but the outlook is really good.

Just by way of establishing cred, I'm a lobbyist who works in Jeff City during the session and I also lobby on Budget items. And this is my first post so be gentle with me and I'll try to (briefly) explain why I think we're doing well -

The conference commitee process is only for items that the House and Senate don't agree on. I'm happy to say that I'm 99.9% sure that the funding that the House OK'd is the same amount as the funding that the Senate OK'd, so it's not even being discussed in the conference committee - the funding is what we call a "closed item."

I'll call the Senate Appropriations office on Monday morning just to double check, but since the dollar amounts are the same in the House version as in the Senate version, there's no controversy.

And FYI, I'm not aware in recent history of a budget bill that didn't pass. Even the really controversial ones pass. The Governor does have the right to line-item veto, but I think the chance of that happening in this bill is slim to none.

The conference committee should finish up next week, the bills will go back to the House for a final vote, and then the Budget has to (by law) be finished no later than May 9th.

I'll keep you posted if I find out anything different. I'll be at the Embassy watch party on Saturday if any of you are weird enough to want to know any more about the legislative budget process.

Wizards till I die! :D

Michelle K.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks a TON Michelle, I think we all appreciate that look into what is going on with the funding. It's much appreciated.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

Wow, epic first post. So, lets start planning that party then.

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know I won't feel completely safe until the walls tumble at the mall.

12. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks Michelle, if the option to rep people didnt dissappear from my screen today I would definately give you your first postive rep if someone hasnt already. Thanks for the good info.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beat you to it. :)

14. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City

Well, let's party, but it's not over yet. It's probably gonna be OK, but nothing's a done deal 'til the Boy Guv signs the bill.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks for all you guys have done to support the team, the sport, and for making it fun to be a fan.

15. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This will be a new thread if they do.

When/if they are released, hopefully we try harder at building a good first post rather than just being first please.

17. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You _do_ realize where you are right? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that means the State budget stuff is getting pretty close to done. Can't wait to see the renderings... and 2010 couldn't come here soon enough, but I'm guessing it doesn't get here faster than ~600 days.

For you betting types, I am taking bets on the under for 600 days, bets have to be made by May 10th

18. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

600 days to completion? That's probably not far off but I would take the under on it. I would have to know the start date though. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they fire up the bulldozers the day after the governor signs.

19. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas

I hope they blow it up... That would go faster....

20. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001

Yeah. T'would be a good Season Ticket Holder Perk. WIZ hard hats for everyone!!

21. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not quite as cool as commemorative sledge hammers, but I suppose they'll have to do.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or commemorative dynamite.

23. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would totally make the trip if a commemorative Wizards hard hat were involved.

seeing as how bringing fireworks across the state border is illegal, I would think that dynamite wouldn't be cool either, even if it is Wizards' dynamite.

24. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I already have a Wizards hard hat...I want the commemorative Cobalt blue sledge hammer!!

25. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City

Just wanted to let you all know that the line item in HB 2007 with our funding is definitely closed. The conference committees will finish up their work tomorrow or Thursday at the latest and the budget bills should go back to the House next week and be "truly agreed and passed" by Friday 5/9. :D
    Here's a question for Sam Pierron, maybe - the language in the budget bill says that by law, application for the money has to be approved by the Dept. of Economic Development before we get final funding:

"A listed project must have completed the application process and a certificate of approval must have been issued pursuant to Section 99.845 (10) before a project may be disbursed funds subject to the appropriation."

Can Sam or anyone from the FO bring us up to speed on the application process? Has it already been approved or does the FO have to wait to apply until the budget is signed by the Governor?