Preseason Scores Superthread (not CCC) [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by dredgfan, Feb 21, 2008.

1. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Texas "Pro" Soccer Festival

oh, and DC won

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas Pro Soccer Festival [Rs]

http://www.texasprosoccerfest.com/index.php

For those who don't know, DC, Houston, Chivas and TFC are participating in this little pre-season tournament, located just North of San Antonio, Texas. It's a simple little affair with each team playing the other once. It runs from Wed, 3-5 (today) through Sun, 3-9.

As far as I know, there is NO TV or Radio coverage. Being the nice guy I am, I've got tickets for all 6 games and will cover them as best I can. I won't be able to bring my laptop in the stadium, but I'll be taking notes and posting them here afterword. I also know that there are quite a few others from Houston showing up, so they'll offer their thoughts on the games for everyone.

Here is the schedule:

Wed 3-5
    Hou v TFC - 6pm CST
    DCU v CUSA - 8:30pm CST

Fri 3-7
    TFC v DCU - 6pm CST
    CUSA v Hou - 8:30pm CST

Sun 3-9
    Hou v DCU - 12:30pm CST
    CUSA v TFC - 3pm CST

There are also training sessions inbetween, and actually the teams have been in town since Monday practicing. If I can, I'll try to make it over to one of these and scope out the teams and let you know what I see/think.

I'll try to be as unbiased as possible...:p

3. houston_gunner

houston_gunner New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston

Awesome, they rejected the original spot because of a crappy field. That makes me happy. MLS teams need to start demanding excellence.

4. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Texas Pro Soccer Festival [Rs]

Cool. Can you take some streamers and dump them on TFC during corners.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Agreed.

Woulda been cool if they did this in Hawaii, too.

6. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Preseason Scores (R)

Fire 1-1 Necaxa

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hehehe :p

That sounds like a good idea. I'm sure the players would love that :D

Maybe I should bring a sign for Chivas and DC...something about how picky they are :rolleyes:

DCU v CUSA - 2-1 F

Reserves are playing tonight, per Goff

8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

You think that's bad, Gullit was complaining that the field in Shanghai had rocks and bones on it.

9. gabola71

gabola71 Member

May 31, 2001
    Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC

That's just great. Any news on the other games? I assume they will pull out of those as well leaving me with no soccer fix this weekend.

Signed,
    San Antonio MLS Fans

10. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2-1 according to Goff.

11. houston_gunner

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston

That is what you get for being a Chivas USA fan when there are 2 teams near by

12. houston_gunner

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston

We need a sign saying

"Grow some balls because that is all we need to play a game of soccer"

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ooops...thanks for the catch :eek:

Too much back and forth here on BS....

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no they haven't pulled out, they'll just be playing reserves in the match.

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Preseason Scores (R)

Dcu 2 - 1 Cusa

16. gabola71

gabola71 Member

May 31, 2001
    Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC

That's great, I'll take time and drive to the other side of town and pay money to watch a preseason MLS reserve match. How much do they charge for in season reserve matches? I'm sure it'll be worth it. I wasn't expecting much from this game or even this "tournament" but I was expecting to see 45 mins or so of solid if not excellent football.

Oh, 3 and 5.5 hours are not nearby teams.

17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United

DCU reserve matches are free during the season. SA customers are definitely getting hosed on this. You would think someone would have checked to see if the fields were usable a little sooner than the day before the matches. Looks like the tournament organizer blew this one.

18. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

57 yards wide, crappy field? That's Bad News Bears treatment.

These are pros, the organizers should've been on the ball on this. I'd hate to see Emilio out for weeks because a tweeked ankle from a crater in the field.

19. Clip

Clip Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Bayou City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No crap. This makes me mad. These tickets cost a lot! Our players risking injury the week before CCC could cost way more. Dammit! This sucks.

20. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Had they cecked the link to the 'stadium' I doubt any team would have attended.

21. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The team went to this for the $$ I am sure they all get an appearance fee and why not its nice to get away in the preseason and start building the teams chemistry.

Yeah, you SA fans are getting screwed 35 a day for tix for preseason and mostly reserves.

22. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entertaining Article on LAG Vs. Shanghai

This one's well written. Really drives home the key points.

A nice bit if writing, which really gets the important moments across.

SHANGHAI - Carlos Ruiz scored a hat-trick as the Los Angeles Galaxy cruised to a 3-0 victory over Shanghai-Hong Kong United in Shanghai on Wednesday.
    Former England captain David Beckham set up Ruiz's first goal but then sat out the final 20 minutes after taking a kick to his right thigh, although the injury is not thought to be serious.
    Ruiz opened the scoring in the first half and then added two more late on to give the scoreline a flattering look.
    David Beckham set up one goal as Los Angeles Galaxy eased to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Shanghai-Hong Kong United in Shanghai today.
    The England midfielder was substituted with 20 minutes remaining after taking a knock to his right thigh, although the injury is not serious.
    Carlos Ruiz scored all three goals, opening the scoring in the first half and then adding two more late on.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080305&content_id=141853&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In regards to the stadium in San Antonio, it wasn't the worst pitch I've seen and a quote from a Dynamo staffer said it best:

The Dynamo like it because of "similarities to various CONCACAF team fields...allows players to be familiar with these conditions."

It looked hard, but with grass over it. It was level, thin grass, but hard. Certainly better than what Houston saw in Costa Rica last year.

With that said, here are the results from the first two games:

Hou 4 - 3 TFC
    DC 2 - 1 CUSA

Houston XI Start:
    Onstad
    16-32-2-24
    ----13----
    8--------26
    ----11-----
    ---7---25

TFC XI Start:
    Sutton
    8---14--2--11
    21--17--25--35
    ---96---9----

If I have players a bit out of position, sorry...they didn't exactly give me a starting lineup here...:eek:

Goals by:

3' Houston Goal by Wondo (7) A by Waibel (16)
    36' TFC Goal by 35 with an A by 11
    42' Hou Goal by Ching (25) with A by Davis (11)
    44' Hou Goal by Ching (25) with A by Waibel (16)
    47' Hou Goal by Ustruck (6) with A by Davis (11)
    71' TFC Goal by 25 PK
    81' TFC Goal by 28 Unassisted

In the second half, Houston threw out a reserve squad. Only Onstad, Davis (11), Wondo (7) and Ashe (26) stayed in with Davis subbed out later on.

TFC subbed out 2 for 7 to start the half. Later, about midway in the half, 9 came off for 28.

General impressions of TFC: The usual suspects played well for Toronto. Cunningham and Dichio were great, with Cunningham and Ashe going at it for quite a well (with Cunningham winning most of the time). No individual player stuck out at me, but then Toronto didn't have one of their better games. In regards to the PK, 25 took a pass to the top of the box and was tripped up just inside the box, earning the Houston defender a yellow (they never announced who it was). Easily converted for Toronto. The 3rd goal by Toronto was a beaut. Took a loose ball outside the box and blasted it into the goal before Onstad knew what hit him. A very nice goal.

In the first half, Toronto was playing catch-up as Houston dominated possession and controled the flow of the game. The 2nd half started the same, with the Dynamo Reserves charging out the gate. But as time wore on, they grew sloppy and Toronto regained possession and put Houston on their heels, allowing several shots. Onstad ended up with 4 saves and Sutton had a pair.

The big points were the offsides and fouls:

Offsides: Hou 8 TFC 7
    Fouls: Hou 18 TFC 11

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nightcap was ChivasUSA and DCU, which ended up 2-1 DCU. Both teams fielded Reserves and Trialists, with the CUSA bench overflowing with players.

DCU XI:
    5-21-6-22
    16-8-25-15
    ---34---35

13 came in for 35, 32 came in for 5 and 8 came out with 33 coming in late. The last two subs were late game subs.

CUSA XI:
    34--4--14--39
    19--31--37--22
    ---17--32

35 came in for 22, someone came out for 38 while 32 came out with 36 coming in. That was a double sub and the speaker on the mic rushed it :(

Goal Summary:

13' - Chivas Goal by #19 with A by #17. Man...I was flored by this goal. Just...wow. I hope it was recorded cause it was great. #17 sent a long cross from the right flank and hit #19 on the left side of the box. With his back to the goal, he settled it, turned the DC defender and had a wide-open net. BOOM! Oh man. That got people cheering and screaming cause of the effot. Nice. Very nice. DCU 0 - 1 CUSA

16' - DCU Goal by #5. During a corner kick, the Chivas defense had a horrible clearance and the ball landed right at his feet in front of the net. Just put it in, no sweat. The defender was trying to loft it out, but he mishit the ball and it landed at 5's feet. Again, no problem. DCU 1 - 1 CUSA

27' - DCU Goal by #35 with an A by #34. 34 sent a through ball to 35 who split the defense and had a clinical finish. Very much a textbook sequence. DCU 2 - 1 CUSA

General perceptions: #15 and 16 for DCU played very well together. A lot of give-and-go and created havoc in the center all game long for Chivas. They definately stood out and looked impressive. 34 for DC showed foot finese but had the tendency to show off his Ruiz skills, too :rolleyes: If he remained on his feet, he may have been able to open up more chances. However, in fairness, he didn't do it nearly as often as Ruiz does, nor did he try to win a PK, either. With Chivas, #17 was lethal on the right and blew by the DC defense all game long and sent in several dangerous crosses. Unfortunately, there weren't always players to get on the end of them, though. Good thing for DC, too.

Anywho...those are just a few thoughts. I'll post more later. Off to bed for me now as it's cycling towards 1AM here.

:p

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who care, here are the players for DC and Chivas as best as I can tell.

DC
    Carvallo
    Peralta--P Carrol--Mediate--Cordeiro
    Stratford--Moose--Quaranta--Dyachenko
    ----Niell--Cesar

Chivas---mostly trialists and I couldn't find names. I really wish I got the same info the media got...but haven't found anything from them, besides Goff yet, either. Go fig.

34--Thomas--Vaughn--Marsch
    Flores--31--37--22
    ----17--Hamilton