DC United v. Odense Scrimmage

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Diceson, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    DC United versus Odense scrimmage

A nice day as both sides rolled out in the midday haze. A light, over-night shower affected the footing somewhat as throughout the match players slipped and slid. However, no standing water or soft spots on the field were evident.

Again, DC United ran out two squads, one in each half:

1st Half

G – Wells
    D – McTavish, Peralta, Martinez, Burch
    M – Moose, Simms, Gallardo, Fred
    F – Emilio, Moreno

Almost immediately apparent was that the Odense side, stereotypical of Scandinavian teams, played a great deal of air balls, knocking it around with headers. On the other side, DC United’s South American influence saw more of a ground game. The action was a see-saw affair for the entire game. For both sides good defense efforts and the obvious lack of touch on the offensive end, due to it being the pre-season for both, led to several missed opportunities. It did look as if Odense, a team that played in the first round of the UEFA Cup, was caught off guard by the level of play DC United exhibited.

Both sides started out quickly attempting to dominate the play with offensive forays. Blitzing down the right flank of DC United, Odense was met by a stout defense of McTavish and Moose as they worked together well pinning the play against the sideline and forcing a turnover.

Soon thereafter an example DC United’s potential shone through. A strong defensive effort by Peralta shut down an attack by Odense. Touching it wide to Namoff cleared the immediate threat. The ball then swung back across the back line with each of the defenders tapping it to the next with one-touch. Burch slid the ball forward to Simms. From that point, about a dozen touches later by most, if not all the team ended with Gallardo wide open just outside the box. His shot sailed inches wide of the goal. Other than a couple of trap and spins passes it was all one and two-touch passing.

Also evident is the control of the defense when releasing the ball out of the ball. Certainly Peralta and Martinez’ skills in this area will lower the potential for disaster. At least as of this moment there has not been a poor back pass or a ball played directly to an opponent. Furthermore, both Wells and Carvallo have had any howlers in clearances, punts, or goal kick efforts. Combined with the extremely strong central defense looks to mean that opponents will need to attack through the flanks, and then only have one shot before DC United covers.

Also, although it does not seem to be the case because of his relaxed, smooth way, Gallardo’s efforts defensively in midfield are also evident. At about the midpoint of the half, Simms and Gallardo managed to effectively push the center stripe well into the Odense half of the field for several minutes with their combination of pressuring forward and quick attacking of any ball movement through their area.

However, Gallardo’s main weapons are his touch and vision in adding to the attack. At around the 35th minute another strong defensive hold by the backline, followed by quick outlet pass to Gallardo broke the Odense attack. Gallardo quickly spun in place and launched a 30 to 40 yard pass into the space behind the Odense defense, but light enough to allow Moreno to run onto it. Only a heads up play by the Odense keeper in charging out of the area and beating Moreno to the ball by a step prevented a 1 v. 1.

Even more amazing a play nearly identical occurred two minutes later. The only difference was that Moreno did run onto the ball and drive to the baseline. Unfortunately for Moreno, the defender he managed to twist into the ground with his dribbling, stuck a foot out while falling interrupting Moreno’s shooting just enough.

The other positive that is evident is that Fred is clearly on a mission. Physically, somehow he managed to come into camp totally fit; at least it is not apparent that he is suffering. Also, good or bad, he is pushing forward into the attack. Not only is he effectively attacking with the ball at his feet, but also creating chaos with his supporting runs. It would lead one to believe that Fred is being reckless, but to this point the defense is not suffering.

In the second half:

G – Carvallo
    D – Owens, P Carroll, B Carroll (Mediate), Renfrow
    M – Cordeiro, Stratford, Attar (Schmitz), Walker
    F – Monteiro, Niell

The goal, around the 80th minute, came off of a quick throw-in by Odense. A quick throw, a cross to the far post while the defense was getting set, ended with a goal by Costa Rican Bolanos – only mention him because he could be a very effective wing player in MLS!

The individual players in the second half are playing better, but for obvious reason they continue to struggle as a team, the goal being a perfect example.

Of interest is Jamil Walker playing on the wing. It looks as if he lost a step with his injury. However, much like Olsen’s initial injury in 2001, Walker transformed himself to less speed, more control on the ball. On several occasions he showed good ball skills while in traffic.

Niell continues to impress with his work rate.

All in all, most of the younger players are being to lift their level of play to a level that should keep them in MLS reserves. At least that is not as bad as being cut outright.

2. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    Thank you Diceson!

Keep the news comin':)

3. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonderful stuff, Diceson!

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    John, you paint a picture better than Picasso :)

Interesting to see Moose on the starting eleven. I know Namoff has a knock, but I'd be interested to hear your impression on his progress. And also Martinez, is he solid back there or is he still trying to get fit and adjust?

5. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep you if I could. Thanks for the info.

6. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Moose is fighting for a regular salary. To be perfectly honest, I can't see how he wouldn't be offered a minimum regular salary before the true rookies. Quite simply, his experience gives him an edge.

Namoff is Namoff. He's very settled and will be the starting right back. The couple of goals that have occurred came from break downs from the defense as a unit - one guy attacks the ball, the other covers goal-side, a third is area defender, etc.

Martinez is . . . interesting. He's not adjusted yet. He obviously wants things to go right. He has a temper, and it is on a fairly short fuse. As an individual he has fantastic skills, How long will it take for him to find his role in the defensive line is an important question that need to be worked out.

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great write up, again!!!

Good to hear that gallardo is showing his class, how did moreno and emilio look on the field? I'd assume out of shape still? U didnt mention much on emilio, is that because he didnt pose much of a threat or what? How is he working with Gallardo? Is moreno working better than him as gel'ing wise?

8. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Emilio is still in pre-pre-season mode. He's got to work on his fitness, touch, and everything in general. There is a month, with several games, before it counts. I'm not worried at this point.

I actually think Moreno is in a sort of resurgence. TS is relying on him a lot to serve as a psuedo on field coach, particularly with the new foreign players. One thing I did notice is that he is coming back significantly deeper than I remember in the past. It might be that his tactical role is changing on the field as well.

9. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. Diceson, I'd rep you if I could. Great work (as usual).

2. It's encouraging to hear that Jamil Walker is potentially working out as an outside mid. He didn't impress me when he played there in the past. But he's a good guy, good teammate, hard worker, a veteran and has had some very good moments in MLS. If he can make that transition, he'd be a nice sub to have. And I'd like to see Moose make it. I think he has the ability and skills and even physical tools. But mentally I think he lacks confidence and as a consequence, his decision-making suffers. If both of those guys (moose and walker) step it up, they give up some depth that I think will be critical.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hear hear

11. SavannahFan

SavannahFan New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    RFK Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    What is your opinion of the on field communication between the players? Have the players been able to adapt, or do you have almost two DC United teams, one speaking english, and the other spanish...?

Just curious

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to give you shit after such a great write-up, but you mean J Carroll :)
    Interesting to see Mediate slide into central D too.
    Is Attar continuing to look like a good reserve player?

13. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is a smorgasbord of languages out there. English, Spanish, Spanglish, and Portuguese are all mixed in together along with a bunch of pointing and hand motions. It doesn't seem to be an issue at this point IMO.

Side note: at least two of the Odense players (jensen and hanson) spoke english. I heard them talking to the ref on a few occasions.

14. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know which is which, but the central mid duo did a pretty decent job. And considering the level of Odense compared to the level of MLS reserves I'd say they have a pretty good shot at making the roster.

15. Kosh

Kosh "We are all Kosh"

Aug 1, 2006
    Harrisburg, PA
    Nice write up, Diceson. Words can't explain how valuable your (you and elconejito's) efforts are to us who eagerly live out this pre-season in our homes. Thanks, guys.

I gotta say, it sounds like the team is getting there - slowly but surely. I can't wait to see these guys in action.

16. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If fred has lit a fire under his own ass as you've said he has then damn ...

This has the potential to be scary for the rest of the league.

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So you're saying that Jaime's retooling his game again? Maybe now the Moreno detractors can admit how valuable a player he is to this team. He might not score 15 goals off the run of play but I bet he is involved in 15 that are.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep. Hopefully gallardo can add new life to his game, and give him a reason to get in damn good shape and play good before he retires.

19. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's probably in good shape being that he came from PSG mid season.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wasnt talking about Marcelo, i was talking about jaime moreno.

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ooops :D

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks, Dice man, great stuff!:)

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John, I know it's preseason, I know the matches are meaningless, blah blah blah; but it's their preseason too, just like it's Toronto's and we didn't do that well against Toronto. What do see with our offense -- why haven't the goals been coming? Is it all integration/playing as a team? Or do individual deficiencies (e.g. fitness levels) stand out?

24. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You cant expect players to play at 100% during the preseason. No one wants to get injured. These are exercises in getting to know each other and learning each others style of play. I wouldnt put too much emphasis on results at this point. They are meaningless and worthless.

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, right now it's more about chemistry than anything else. And when Soehn is subbing out entire units after 45 minutes, you're not going to get 3 or 4 goals per. They're working on the knowledge of each other and for instance when Emilio should make his break before Gallardo springs that pass. That takes time...