To be honest

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Feb 2, 2008.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know I'm flogging a dead horse here, but now that I think about it....

This was a press release - sent to the sports media that covers the team.

Shouldn't this be the sort of release better sent to non-sports media? Or put on the website for public information?

If I'm at the sports desk at the Star, Dos Mundos or TV5 and I get this release, what does that tell me about the Wizards focus? It doesn't scream "serious sports team - cover me." It does say, forward me to the lifestyle or children's beat reporter.

The team needs to separate Public Relations from [/i]Press/Media[/i] Relations. I would never send a marketing email trumpeting Dora and Scooby to the soccer press.

2. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had season tickets from day 1. At first, either a friend went with me or a girlfriend that I could interest in the games. The ones that did not want to go did not last. Eventually I settled on the right one, got married. We now take our 3 year old daughter to the games (she went to her first game before she was a month old). She loves it. She will turn 4 right after the season starts. She loves going to the games.

Her favorite things (in order) about going to the games are:

1. The DRUMS!!!
    2. The Cauldron/Sudakas dancing after the games
    3. Dynamo (okay, she is a kid)
    4. Nick Garcia (note to dad: got to find her a new favorite player)
    5. 2nd half treat (dippin dots or candy we snuck in)
    6. Getting to stay up late

Yes, she will enjoy Scooby and Dora, but that is not why my toddler goes to games even. Last year we sat a couple sections away from the cauldron. As soon as the game was over she made us head up to the top of the stairs to wait for the drums. She likes the atmosphere. She is a future Cauldron regular.

My point is to basically agree with most of what people have said. Keep it kid friendly, not kid-centric. Keep a stupid mascot (I hate all mascots), but do not go over board. Continue to build the in game atmosphere. More songs, clapping, drumming. Keep it clean, fun and loud.

To play the other side for a moment, this is one game that the Wizards are featuring kids characters. Hopefully it will not be the marketing strategy for every game.

3. toritoritorrence

toritoritorrence New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    the LX
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought it was more around $90, but $70 is still a lot when i am already in debt from buying season tickets :). not that i'm complaining.

i think it comes down to the fact that if i bought direct kick it would really only be to watch the wizards games. i mean i watch saturday night mls on fsc and mls primetime thursday religiously, but i don't care too much about the other games. why would i want to pay $70 for wizards games, when my friend across town gets them for free on time warner?

and in my neighborhood (and surrounding) i dont even think TW is available.

they need to cut the crap and make it more accessible is what i'm trying to say...in not so few words.

4. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree here too. Especially at the opener. If it were another game which could be dubbed "Kid's Night" or something, that's one thing. Young adults, couples without kids, 'the guys' - they don't want to come to the game just to be surrounded by little kids. I understand that families and kids have been good to the MLS - that getting one kid in a family of four sells four seats while getting one 20-something interested might only sell one or two... but put a product on the field that the 20-something gets excited about and he/she might bring 5 friends to the next game, who could then bring their own friends the game after that.

If you still want to have children's cartoon characters, I think having a 'family section' is a good idea. Then, those who would be turned off by the kid-centric atmosphere would be able to sit away from the circus and enjoy the game without those distractions.

Adults aren't going to go to Chuck-E-Cheese when they want to go to an arcade, but they will go to David & Buster's. Kids can go to both. Seeing that headline as well as Dora on the home page of www.kcwizards.com makes me feel a little too much like Chuck-E-Cheese.

5. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

yeah, but that's because there's over nine thousand baseball games in a season.

i'm telling you people, our mascot needs to be an elderly man in a convincing wizard costume. i know people who would go to games just to see that.

6. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that i am going to become "that guy" but the sheer volume of alcohol i will be consuming celebrating the opening of the season may be dangerous to Dora's health...

That is ABSOLUTELY the wrong direction... i don't know if that can be stressed enough... holy crap, that is what i thought we were going to be moving AWAY FROM...

the money for this sport in this town lies with 21-35 year olds who have some money to drop and get crazy supporting a unique team... if the team can get Dora they can get Duffman for the "other side of the stadium"...

i sitting here trying to make it not a big deal and to calm myself, but i can't... someone, quick, provide a rationale for my cooling off!!!

7. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many would go to see Ian McKellen in a wizards costume?

8. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid if you're hoping for someone to provide the rationale behind a professional sports team using cartoon characters as the big draw for opening day...you're in the wrong place. I'm still cursing and scratching my head over that one.

9. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only hope you were holding down your Sarcasm key as you typed that. ;) If not...wow. News story: "Wizards mascot Randolph "Gandolf" McGee, seen here in his wizard costume, died today during pre-game festivities. This was his first game."

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The game is an afterthought in the lead. DC United gets third billing behind
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43605

12. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

reserve league, dawg.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's my main problem with the whole thing. Sure have the mascots for kids to see before the game, maybe a short appearance at half time, I'll grant them that. But the fact that the things are taking top billing over the actual game is terrible and inexcusable.

14. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Hillcrest Road

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet- From http://hillcrestroad.blogspot.com/

Regarding the First Match of 2008

Hello all, we have seen today some pretty fervent opposition to the Dora/Scooby announcement in yesterday's weekly release on Big Soccer and here at Hillcrest Road. First of all, know that we have many different events in the works for many different demographics. Since the schedule has not yet been released and all events have not yet been finalized, only our first promotion of the season is public knowledge.

As all of you know, soccer fans in this country come in many shapes and sizes. A large portion of our fans are adults (and some adolescents) that like standing, screaming and yelling, but another large group consists of families with small children. This has always been the case. We will cater to both throughout the season and hope that by catering to one, no one from a different demographic feels "alienated". Our focus is always on the 90 minutes of soccer (we are a soccer team after all), but we will continue to offer pre-game and post-game activities for many different groups of fans. Often, pre-game activities will be more geared to younger crowds while our post-game activities will be more geared to the "partying" demographic. The Legends offers a great opportunity for many of these events.

One such event, still in the planning stages, will take place prior to the season in Lawrence, KS. This event will be similar to the pre-season party at VooDoo Lounge in 2007 that was very well received by everyone involved. As soon as the details of this event are sewn up, it will be publicized.

Overall, we feel this season will be a great one for the Wizards and truly help us grow our fan base among the 18-34 year-old demographic and the family demographic. From this first match to matches later in the season where we feature post-game events at Legends restaurants and bars, we will provide something for everyone. We truly are Kansas City's Team, as you all know, and we are committed to providing entertainment for the entire community.

As always, thanks for your comments, criticisms and fanhood. We like to see passion; that means people care.

15. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...maybe we can even get Hannah Montana to do the national anthem!

16. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Guys,

I truly appreciate the posts lead by Andy's here, but let's call the world as it is. We, as the Wizards, are focused on expanding our season ticket base. In a perfect world, every ticket holder would be exactly alike. Unfortunately that's not the case and until we understand what the combination of dynamics are, we need to try things. Some focus has been on Dora as a sales technique. Dora is not a sales technique - the game is sold out. But, with new people in stadium, let's try things that might encourage them to come back - right? More people is good for everybody who is a part of the club.

Our internal "given" is that our club will be high quality. Some day, it will be your internal "given," and I'm hopeful that a meaningless promotion gets "zero to no attention."

Totally fair enough on the post - but please, it can't be a focus.....at least not until we all agree that the fan base is as big as we want it.

17. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If game one is sold out can we get an update on how the sales are coming for the rest of the season?

18. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys are overreacting.

Dora the Explorer is huge. My daughter loves her and her friends love her.

I doubt this is to draw any fans in but yet to provide a welcoming and fun atmosphere for those that are there. Kids love the live dressed up mascots like Dora. If they are there, they will have fund and the parents will be more likely to bring them back for another game.

19. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That game would need to be moved to Arrowhead. I am actually being serious, it would draw that many people. It would put the Beckham game to shame.

20. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fair point. Interesting that the opener is sold out already, too, that's a great sign! As far as these promotions go, how are we going to measure their results? For instance the Dora/Scooby game has several possibilities:

1. This game sold out even before the promotion because it's opening day against DC United.

2. It sold out before the promotion and before the first opponent was known, because of the scarcity of seats.

3. It sold out after the promotion was announced, but there was no significant sales spike associated with the promotion

4. It sold out after the promotion was announced and the rate of sales increased noticeably after that announcement.

And in any case, the promotion will be only half successful if those who experienced it do not return for another game. Do we have any way of collecting that metric on our promotions this season?

21. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    LOL....I can't believe I'm actually posting regarding Dora the Explorer.....but, having a 2 and 3 year old of my own, it really is amazing how big kids are in to this stuff. But like i said, it's going to be a GREAT game atmosphere, largely b/c the people on this board make it such.

in response to ticket sales....they're really good, but every game is not sold out which means we're still pushing. the new stadium will be roughly 18,500 which obviously suggests that even if we are sold out at CAB, we still need to push. you can still get game one tickets through season ticket packs, but single game tix for game one are gone.

i've made a category log of the posts here and will try as best as possible to implement some of the thoughts here which are good. in the words of dora - thanks for helping....again, lol

22. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    in response to abra....i was posting while the post came through - we do focus groups and customer surverys as well as trying to get general vibe through BS and the blogs....we definitely have a set of metrics that we work off of....rh

23. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to say that I'm totally fine with the concept of having Dora/Scooby there, but I would've prefered it be not at the opener (as you said, it's not a sales technique, but it _could_ be one as well - right? Use Dora/Scooby to get families that haven't experienced a Wizards game to come out and fall in love with it and come back) and I feel the execution of it was a little off. Really, anything that could've been done to make it obvious that the Dora/Scooby experience is only for the kids and will be tucked away in it's own section like the kids rides at Worlds of Fun. I just am afraid of people getting the idea that Wizards<=>Kids (<=> represents a 'definition' if you're unfamiliar with logic symbols).

Truly, those of us who live, breathe and bleed soccer and Wizards blue may not really be the best at understanding how the (unfortunate) majority of the fans who aren't as, well... crazy want to experience the game. While we'd all like to think we could fill the stadium with people of our level of passion, I think we can all agree that America, or at the very least KC, isn't to that level yet. Personally, I give it 5 years ;)

/EDIT: Well, I thought I was being smart, but apparently ':<=>' is definition, so I was one colon off, but you get the idea.

24. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Robb,

Thanks for replying to our concerns. Just a quick question for you: Since we're trying to cover all the demographics, do we have any plans yet for the 11 to 18 year-olds? I'm thinking especially of the boys, who might be facing peer pressure in school not to like soccer, and are image conscious.

Thanks.

25. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i suggest free, permanent KC Wizards tattoos. oh and kung fu classes. that should take care of that.