Bradley:Sun, 12/9, 14:30 SC Heerenveen - FC Groningen

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Dec 5, 2007.

1. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Speaking of which:

This is NSFW!

[youtube]9-azQygNsA0[/youtube]

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped. That was great. Why can't we have commericals that brilliant here? I guess I gotta blame the FCC!! :D

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dutch clubs believe for the most part in fluid, often offensive soccer, and making their youngsters shine and learn to adapt quickly to such tactics........ Not a shock really....

4. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too late for Bob to have some more kids?

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i think the shock is that it was the same score

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny. But for those inclined to play this at work: don't. Not unless you're the boss, Applesauce.

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you work from home, because you finally decided to be your own boss, earn $15,000 a month, and put a down payment on your new vacation home. Then yeah, go ahead and play it.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This intrigues me strangely and I would greatly appreciate it if you would recommend additional informational resources so that I might take advantage of this tremendous opportunity.

To keep this on topic: would Michael Bradley be able to play this video at work? Would his father disapprove?

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, SFS makes my point against the guy who started the idiocy. Bradley improved at Bradenton, he improved in MLS, he improved with the Herenveen reserves and he improved with the Herenveen full team and the USMNT in the past year. He hasn't all of the sudden become a magical player since the Gold Cup, like whoever posted. He played a lot of minutes for the USMNT prior to August and much of that play was good, some of it mediocry and maybe some not so good. Now that he is scoring goals at the club level, this apparently confuses people who never saw what he brought to the table -- thus the magical improvement theory.

Now, SFS's theory has its own problems, namely that most players his age playing alot in a professional environment will improve and the question is whether Bradley would have improved as much if he stayed in MLS -- which is unprovable either way.

And of course, the real laughable part of SFS's theory is that while he can figure out that there are some good coaching techniques in Europe, for some reason MLS coaches, even those with extensive European pedigrees like Steve Nicol and Peter Nowak can't.

10. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    translated from: http://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/web/show/id=42457/contentid=6200

The trainer was full of praise over Michael Bradley, who with his three goals raised his season total to six. Ther American is this year noticeably productive, and according to Verbeek, has it in him to become a top player: "Michael revealed to me that he desires to become as good as Gattuso, and this is possible. I don't expect that he'll be playing with Heerenveen for long."

11. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    From the same article, a little further down. Looks like Michael picked a great day to shine.

>>>
    Still, Verbeek doesn't think that Heerenveen can seriously compete for the Eredivisie title. De trainer expects that the topclubs will strengthen themselves during the winterbreak, and that Heerenveen will lose players. This possibility seems indeed realistic, because yesterday scouts from 18 foreign clubs from Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, England, Norway, Scotland and Russia sat in the stands.
    >>>

12. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    List of hat-tricks by Heerenveen players:

Afonso Alves 6 times (2006/2007 (5) and 2007/2008)
    Klaas-Jan Huntelaar 2 times (2004/2005 and 2005/2006)
    Jeffrey Talan (1995/1996)
    Jon Dahl Tomasson (1996/1997)
    Anthony Lurling (1999/2000)
    Marcus Allbäck (2000/2001)
    Gerald Sibon (2003/2004)
    Georgios Samaras (2004/2005)
    Lasse Nilsson (2005/2006)
    Michael Bradley (2007/

13. yesterday evening Ruud Gullit and Ronald Waterreus were guests in the soccer tv program "Studio Voetbal" and to throw a huge stone (to some it may be a rock) in the tranquile pond of Yankee soccer fans they had something to say about the quality of coaching in the MLS. One of the moderators asked why it was that with the huge numbers of youngsters playing soccer in the US it doesnot show up in quality players. Ronald started his answer with Arena, but switched to a general view, that he that in most of the teams he observed the level of coaching is horrible, especially at the tactical level.
    Ruud added to that an experience he had with Coby(?). During a training session Coby did something and Ruud asked what he was doing. The practice was about defending. Coby kept the field coverage wide, and Ruud told him that that's not the way to defend, in fact you cannot defend unless you compress the field. Coby reacted to that: G.dammit, I knew it I knew it but every coach told me otherwise.
    These are observations by two men who have been playing at the highest levels and with superior coaches and the main defieciency they see in American soccer is the lack of tactical knowledge, at least at the levels we are accustomed to in the Netherlands. Before someone starts hammering his keyboard about Dutchosnobism I like to point to Franz Beckenbauer who once (about two years ago if I recall well) said that he always watches a match of Dutch teams when he gets the chance as he is interested in the tactical strategies used by Dutch teams. He admires the Dutch teams for their tactical skills.

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Several things about that interaction between Ruud and Cobi seem absurd beyond belief, and I'm not really buying it.

edit: which is not to say I'm doubting you, fsf

15. I'm just the messenger:), but you then doubt the mighty Ruud:eek:

16. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Prior to the 1995/96 season this club never had a hat trick? How old is the club?

17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSF, you've been the provider of great info, but this is not such an item. Really, I think something is lost in translation, so to speak. In my view, the problems in MLS are more the result of a much larger variation in player quality per team than in almost any other national league. The present Galaxy are one of the best examples with Donovan and Beckham at one extreme and some guys at the other who really should never be seeing a microsecond per game, yet play much of the time.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for Watterhaus, he is a disgruntled former employee, which means he has very little credibility.

Ruud Gullitt will have a chance to demonstrate his tactical superiority in the upcoming months -- we shall see.

19. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    That's why the league should increase the salary cap and stop worrying about bringing in big name players. The disparity between Donovan and Beckham's salary and those who are just starting out are HUGE. If you really want to increase the playing level of MLS, I think it's best to do it from the ground up. This includes building academies that train and play 6 days a week during the year against high-level competition. This is already beginning to happen. However, we still need to be able to play these players enough so that they can justify not going to college and turning pro instead. In addition, this extra money could be used to bring in quality foreigners from the western hemisphere (ie South America) to help bridge this gap as well.

20. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    BS is so funny sometimes.

This is the trajectory of the arguments against Bradley.

There was the early Bradley nepotism phase. He started over other more deserving players because of his father. Proven wrong.

At the end of the season, when Bradley proved to be one of the top midfielders in the league as an 18 year old, the argument was that yes he was super talented, but he had to go through his learning phase to get there to the detriment of the team.

Then he is let go for NOTHING BY LALAS AND MO (which means neither of them should ever be involved in anything involving a round ball) and the response from Metro fans is general JOY. I am not kidding you. many of these same Metro posters on these boards now who talk so glowingly about Bradley, barely SHRUGGED A SHOULDER. They thought we were losing NOTHING.

Bradley starts for Herneveen in their UEFA Cup race, and the response is mid-level dutch team...WHO CARES.

After Michael proves himself in those matches, Arena calls him into camp to train (similar to the way that Richie Williams would be called in, to pressure reyna, etc), and immediately people lay the hatchet on Arena...Bradley's boy, etc.

Next season, Bradley plays over 800 minutes! Only McBride, hahnemman, Cherundulo, and Howard play more minutes in the first division of a top league (for me personally the top leagues are Spain, Italy, England, Germany, France, Netherlands in that order, everything else is second rate) I believe (I am not sure about that stat, but I believe it is true, correct me if I am wrong). Yet he is lambasted as struggling.

Bob calls him into camp and again the nepotism talk sparks up. Despite putting on impressive performances as a 19 year old, running the midfield with the guile and bite that we haven't had in ages, we are ripping him.

The Brazil game. Bradley is impressive in his performance, yet he is singled out for petty games. At this point he is generally accepted at least to be a vital cog of the national team.

Now he is performing well in the Dutch league, one of the top midfielders in the league with top teams in the top 3 leagues looking to bring him in. What is the response to the best season EVER put together by an American field player? By bashing the METROSTARS and BOB BRADLEY as not having prepared him well enough, wasting his talent etc.

Am I the only person who finds this timeline to be absurd? I mean honestly. There has never been an American player who has taken more shit than Michael Bradley, despite the fact that he is a WINNER. He works hard, cares about his profession, and more importantly, is a good person.

In other words, this isn't a deuce bag like Dempsey, or total ego like that POS Adu. He is a leader, and he will be leading the US shortly with everybody else following his line.

21. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a guy who plays for LA that would disagree with this statement.

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, but most of that storyline strikes a chord. Buncha haterz up in this pizzle.

23. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Who? vagenas?

I don't know of any 20 year old american soccer player who has had to deal with more BS that isn't of his own making then Bradley.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    do you realize that Cobi Jones said it... a guy who has been a pro for about 18 years!?!!?? he won 3 MLS cups... and if Gullit is saying that, then their is some indictment...

it may not be aboue MLS, but about US coaching in general... wake up your eyes and realize that this is something that needs to be improved, not something we have to refute

25. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, I strongly suspect there has been something lost in translation--figuratively or literally. Cobi Jones (if that is the "Coby(?)" being mentioned) knows how to play defense and I suspect he knows how to coach it. He played in South America and England, in addition to the US. Do you really think he doesn't know something that most posters here on BS know? I hope you are not that naive. As to what, exactly, was really said by either Wattereus or Gullit, I have no idea because there was no verbatim transcript presented in the original post. I don't even know for certain that Cobi Jones was the supposed soccer ignoramus under discussion.