Guillermo Barros Schelotto: MLS soccer is naive

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by glyconerd, Nov 15, 2007.

1. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    http://laopinion.com/deportes/futbol/?rkey=00000000000002665000
    It was difficult getting adjusted to MLS because the soccer played is very different than Argentine soccer. There is no passion, the players aren't focused, they arrive to the stadium an hour before the match. I noticed they are disingenuous , most of all about playing. They don't do revelos (translation?), they don't look for the ball deeper.

I came to laugher on the pitch. Although inside I was pissed off. Childish things. But the good thing about MLS is that there is no envy, North Americans don't have problems. There is no police, not even private security. Just ushers, like in the theaters.

Did the best I could in translating it...Now, do you guys think most foreign MLS players see MLS in the same light?

--

Mod Note: 'ingenuo' does not mean 'disingenuous'. Closer to 'naive.'

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Guillermo Barros Schelotto: MLS soccer is disingenuous

All I'm going to do is pray and hope that his comments were taken out of context or improperly translated.

Because that's NOT going to make his teammates happy in the Crew locker room...

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I wonder how much of what he said applies only to the Crew and how much applies to the league as a whole. I'm thinking that it's more the former than the latter, since you occasionally hear these things and they ALWAYS come from foreign players on mediocre to crap teams.

4. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999

I think the title of this thread is disingenuous. He didn't say MLS Soccer is, he said that the players are. And in the context of his quote, it appears he is talking about Crew players (how would he know what the pregame routine of other teams is, anyway?)

So, to be not disingenuous, the title ought to be changed to "Schelotto: Crew players disingenuous"

5. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is he coming back next year? I have to agree with the passion, most MLS players when they score they don't do much celabrating, that's the beauty of a goal also to see a player run and go crazy, it's very dissapointing to see someone score a great goal and barely show emotion, Twellman has it, he is one of the few american players that shows passion.
    Right about long balls, Isn't that why Yallop shorten the LAG field because of the lack of deep play?
    We know the level of play is far from the top but we are 12 years old, we are growing faster than any league of any sport in the world.
    To change that we have to start getting big money coaches, but as long as we have those players to coaches from one year to the next (preki, RSl's coach forgot his name, etc...)we wont advance fast enough, we need big named experienced coaches from Europe or South America, too me now is more important than players until we have the mega millions to spend on stars, but I don't know how good Ronaldihno would be if Cobi Jones would be his coach next year.

6. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts

If i was in MLS or on the Crew I wouldn't really have an issue with his opinion on this. I mean cmon, he came here from Boca Juniors and La Bombanera where the fans are totally insane and every game matters to MLS where not every game really matters and the crew fans or MLS fans in general are no where near Boca fans.

But on the same token, im sure he has some much of the same in Argentina.. playing some of the smaller clubs the atmosphere as a whole is not there, many empty seats and small stadiums so it is kinda unfair for him to judge. And of course his opinion is coming from La bombanera which is hard to compare to anywhere in the entire world.

7. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Schelotto hates soccer.

8. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I completly agree. The play on the field has vastly imporved, but the one thing thats missing is passion. Last years playoffs had it. but it did'nt carry over to this year. The players have got to take playing for the badge more seriously.

9. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003

If those comments of his are true, then most likely he already decided to leave.

Unless that translation is not accurate.

10. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont think he`d return after saying stuff like that.

He`s prolly goin back to that club he`s been rumored to go to....

sorry.....to lazy to dig for the article....

its on Goal.com if you wanna check it out.

11. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan

No. The tittle nor the story mention the Crew..

I thought the comments are a blow to MLS since he was listed as one of star foreign players to join MLS this season. If I remember correctly he even praised MLS 's style of play on Republica Deportiva a few weeks ago. Interesting.

12. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the translation is very accurate and impossible to be taken out of context, it is what he said.

13. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope, translation pretty much on point. Get transferred out of the Crew. Problem solved. I think he could get way better exposure to the full depth of the MLS and the fans if he went to a bigger marquee club, like the Galaxy (You bet your ass we would take him - we need decent wingers), Houston, or even Toronto. The latter two especially has plenty of passion (sorry fellow Angelinos, but aside from LARS and Galaxians, most of you guys suck when it comes to showing passion in the stands).

He would probably be happier playing for a team thats based in an area with big hispanic fanbases, like LA, Chivas, Houston, Dallas, RBNY...

14. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003

Perhaps what he is trying to say is that, American players have a "hey, it's just another job, so let's get it done" mentality. The game "is not in their blood", therefore, no passion shown on the field for a win.

15. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

It's Gimnasia.

Link:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=480541

16. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000

Opposite of what Blanco thinks so Schelotto's context has some to do with this. Send him to Chicago and he might enjoy it more.

17. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

He should have been at the Houston vs Wizard game to see the pation and full stadium of orange fans going crazy.

18. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003

He is not talking about the fans.

He is talking about the players' drive.

19. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure that the english word "disingenuous" best captures what he meant. The word means "not genuine", or "false", or "deceitful", which is not what he said. Perhaps "naive" or "unserious" best captures what he was saying.
    Not that it makes it sound any better :D

20. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Plenty of MLS teams had drive this year.....but if he was talking about Sigi's Crew or LA [the team he would have probably caught on tv the most] then who can deny it?

21. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Yeah, Eddie Johnson doing backflips and cartwheels lacks passion. As does DeRo's dance or Razov running around the stadium. Adu used to celebrate when he was here. Oh and wait, didn't Schelotto's team ate Ned Grabhovoy throw up the Roc-a-Fella records sign after he scored a goal this year?
    [youtube]pdKuP2FKET8[/youtube]

22. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

May 14, 2007
    Edison, NJ

Schelotto thinks his teammates don't have passion? I hope the developmental players and other squad players getting paid less than 6 figures to play soccer doesn't catch wind of that.

I think Schelotto is going to owe his teammates an apology in the future.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

I think this is it. For someone that has never known an Argentinian, it's hard to imagine just how deep their passion for soccer is. It's that passion that drives players from there to become as good as they are. That's why a small country of 20 million people produces soccer stars that play in every good league in the world. They have a very high "philosophical" standard as far as what soccer should be.

24. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The translation is correct. He said that today in Estudio Fútbol a very popular football talk program of Argentina, but he has made this kind of comments many times before in different programs, at times not directly from himself but by other people close to him who knows about his expenriences. His comments don't make United States an appealing place to go for a football career other than for the sake of living in United States, whcih may not be appealing already. But still he should've been aware of this beforehand, what else was he expecting? After all he should've returned to Gimnasia were he was going to get a better salary then what he gets at the MLS.

By the way he also commented, that compared to Argentina in United States they don't do any physical fitness training at all.

Not really once a new tournament kicks off all the 20 teams are hopeful that they can get crowned as the champions. Other than that he played for many years at Boca and he has played in a variety of stadiums, large and small, yet wherever a big club goes they attract a lot of people to the stadium, basically when Boca plays away from La Bombonera it's rare that said game isn't a sellout, even when he arrived at Boca 10 years ago from Gimnasia LP, back then Boca was in a little crisis.

And by the way Argentina is a small country(About 1/3 of United States size) of 37 million people.

25. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I followed what you were saying until this statement. I find that statement impossible to believe.

P.S. USA has slightly over 300 million people.