TFC season ticket renewals expected to be at 95 per cent

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SweetOwnGoal, Oct 4, 2007.

1. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    hehehe

2. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Agreed.

The Toronto rabble-rousing is just boring at this point.

3. RogueFC

RogueFC New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Hell A
    The biggest upgrade TFC should do before next year is grass. That would get a few Canadian internationals to come back and play for sure.

Also, I like how everyone dismisses the big news from TFC about ticket sales. There's no way LA will have that kind of renewal rate and the bottom half the League probably doesn't even total 14K in season seats. 70% of the stadium is already sold if they reach capacity again. That's money in the bank.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    From what we've heard... guess again.

5. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, LA won't have anyon come back for tickets. it's not like they have a start player to attract money.

6. Looogie

Looogie We're Red, We're White

Jul 2, 2007
    Canada
    94% is the final #.

Pretty darn good

7. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Actually thats quite sensational!

8. rocker

rocker New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    yes 94% renewal according to the club email today.
    Now they are working on relocation ... season ticket holders who would like to move to a different section.

THEN they will ask the season ticket holders if they want to buy any more seats.

THEN they will go down the waiting list (if any season seats are left after the current holders buy seconds). I have heard the team is considering increasing season seats to 15000 of the 20000 seats.

after that 15000 is sold they'll turn to half-season pack holders, which should get the season up to about 17000/20000. Single game seats are sold after that.

the other thing to remember is that ticket prices went up for next season. And last year, before the season began, there were early bird purchase deals no longer in effect. season ticket holders could get supporters seats for 100 a pop but not anymore. And those cheap seats go up to regular price now.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Boo yeah!!! Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!! ;)

I'm loving TFC as a franchise.

10. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    "act like you've been in the endzone before..."

Jeez, wow, so much for MLS unity and seeing our league get better...wow! That was hilarious...

11. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    If you look at my past posting history you will realize that I pretty much do act like I've been to the endzone before (this is directed to the cynics in this thread, not BillP). But, that TFC is going to play before full houses again next year is news, it is good for the league and it is worthy of pointing out (which is all I did. I don't think there is an ounce of "we's got the best fans ever, eh!" in that OP).

It doesn't take much searching to find threads where non-TFC fans have posted their opinion that the attendance would drop next year. Some have done so in a precautionary way, others in a juvenile, nation-baiting way.

From here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12799146#post12799146

There is one example, from the main cynic in this thread. It's actually one of his tamer responses to a TFC topic as he didn't make a derogatory comment about how worthless all we Canadians are.

So, when you consider that, and that TFC will once again play before 20,000 per game in 2008--even though the team has been dreadful for the past two months--I figured this was a worthwhile topic.

Is there a guarantee TFC will still be selling out in 10 years? No, clearly not. But, there is more evidence to suggest that it will than there is for any other team in this league.

As someone from Toronto that makes me proud. As someone that has followed MLS for a lot longer than TFC has been involved, it makes me hopeful for the long-term growth of the league.

And, that's a good thing, eh.

12. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn right that's a good thing. TFC has more crazy, fun-loving fans than any other market. We're not talking soccer moms or quiet sides when we're talking about Toronto.

The patchers and sectors are good folk, with a less than average sphincter to fan ratio. I plan on enjoying saloon curls with them for a couple of years until the inevitable heightening of emotions makes that impractical.

In La Barra Brava, we even had two of them show up at our tailgate in their colors. For the most part they were welcome, which is something that does not often happen to visitors in rival colors. :cool:

The renewal rate is impressive for the second season. Many congratulations and I hope your FO doesn't take you for granted. It will be very interesting to see how the offseason improves the club -- rules-wise as well as player talent.

GM

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Toronto!

Great fans there. Hope the team is a bit better next season for you all. I'd love to see that crowd with a bit more to cheer about...

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    This is MLS. We haven't been in the end zone before. No point in "acting like we have" since no one will be fooled.

A 95% renewal rate functionally means the second season will be a sellout as well.

15. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps our league can be the exception to the rule where but for a few jerks fans from all clubs will be able to travel and enjoy the game in the stadium's of their opponents. I think what makes this so enjoyable is the fan aspect and so to lose some of that because people worry about their safety etc would be very uncool.

There will always be a few jerks but lets try to make it all of our objectives to ensure stadiums are open for all supporters and at the end of the game we can quickly recover our emotions so as to congratulate our opponents and to then have a few beers and a chit chat about all things soccer.

Lets not allow our soccer community to fall to the lowest common denominator that seems to be the part of so many others areas of our society that equates sportmanship, concern for others, respect for ourselves and others with being somehow unmanly or uncool. As we are now starting to realize the exact opposite defines boorish and frankly low class behavior. Lets let those low class types follow sports and whatever that their limited talents can comprehend. By the way please do not equate class with race or having or not having money. They are mutually exclusive and have nothing to do with each other.

My wife and kids want to eventually visit all MLS stadiums to see our TFC play and I hope that posters from all other MLS teams want to eventually visit Toronto to see your team play at BMO. You will always be welcome by us.:D

16. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to one day, but it's kinda obvious that finding tickets to any game up there will be kinda difficult :)

17. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get your point.:D Having said that are not each visiting team allocated so many tickets for the use of their fans? If so, any idea on how many that might be?

Thanks in advance

18. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Sounds like a good plan.

The only part missing is adding a few thousand seats. Even 2,000 extra seats would help MLS' attendance average reach 17,000 and surpass NBA & NHL

19. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that stats/figure/tidbit would just be one more selling point, one more feather in MLS' hat. Who would have put even money on every saying that 5-10 years ago?