A Year Later

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Aug 31, 2007.

1. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    We want to thank you all for a great first year with the club. It’s been nothing short of a dream come true for us. We partnered with a club that has great fans who each week help us build towards what we’re all hopeful of achieving – excellence. He’s never really been given the notoriety deserved but Greg Cotton is the reason the Wizards still play in Kansas City. He kept pushing, teaching and advising a group of guys who honestly knew very little about soccer. Thanks Greg….

Mr. Hunt stressed to us how important soccer specific assets would be for our future. In 2007 we (i) tripled the size of the organization, (ii) opened the best training facility in the league and (iii) introduced the Juniors program - a good start on the assets. In 2008 we’re confident we’ll put a shovel in the ground and start building the stadium and fields complex – more information coming!

The last few weeks have been frustrating for everybody involved in the club – to a person – it’s not just we the fans. You can tell me I’m wrong after the fact, but I’ll still maintain this is different than prior years. Everybody in this organization cares about winning. If they don’t, they don’t get to stick around. The expectations that we have for each other in this organization are high. Peter expects that we’ll get him a stadium. We expect Greg to fill it. Greg expects Peter to put a winner on the field. It’s simple and straight forward. Stick with us…I’m not predicting anything, just sincerely pledging to care about winning as much as you do.

Thanks for all your support. We REALLY appreciate it…….rh

2. KCRulestheEast

KCRulestheEast New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    RobbHeineman, the batman of the BigSoccer world.

CEO by day, forum savior by night.

Thanks for the update Robb.

3. Moobythegoldncaf

Feb 27, 2001
    Carson, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always great to hear from you Robb. You are the man!

4. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Best statement of the week.

Thanks, Robb!

5. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We love our new management team! :)

Remember Robb....we want to be there when the first golden shovel hits the dirt, so PLEASE schedule the stadium groundbreaking on a weekend so that those of us with 9-5 jobs can be there too! Thanks!

6. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to communicate with us Rob. My love for the sport is what used to make me drive 3 hours to attend games, but my desire to see this ownership group succeed is now high on the list. God willing my new job will give me the free time to be a season ticket holder next year. Thanks again for the open and honest communication.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to steal from Diego!

Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to communicate with us, Rob. My love for the sport is what used to make me drive 3 hours to attend games, but my desire to see this ownership group succeed is now high on the list.

Unfortunately for my Wizards participation, my family commitments and 2 kids going to college in Eastern Iowa have kept me away from Arrowhead and the Sunday kickarounds. Thanks again for the open and honest communication.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I absolutely love that people in our organization are willing to make posts like this. Thank you for the message Robb. We all certainly hope you are correct. We can't miss the playoffs again.

9. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Robb, and say thanks to everyone invovled.

The Wizards are several miles ahead of the other guys who get a big chunk of my sport-supporting dollars (Lew Perkins and KU) when it comes to actually giving a damn about what the average supporter thinks.

10. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    A blunt response using slightly less psychology...

Well written. Good marketing. Good use of psychology. The next mention of KC not playing in KC should be when OnGoal announces KC will not be playing in KC, thank you. An otherwise nice statement that says thank you but not much else. This was always going to be well received by the corps. We respect that frustration exists in the FO. Tough go, do something about it. Do we get another letter if KC gets run by Houston?

Promises are what they are. More people working hard to similar results so far. Still no stadium plan. No mention of how the on-field product is getting better (because it isn't). On to the next PR disaster. Best of luck using this tactic on the Beckham debacle/backfire.

We have been duely stroked and pacfied for the moment. Now please do something tangible and win some games as an or-gan-EYE-za-tion.

Thanks.

:rolleyes:

11. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you EVER have anything positive to say?

12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Not when I'm being manipulated, no.

I appreciate the effort by Robb and the front office. Yes, it's perhaps more effort than others might give.

Still, I would have appreciated it more if there wasn't a reminder right up front about how lucky we all are to simply have a team. That should tell you the true intent of the note right there. Same message in absence of that, no problem; it would have been an acknowledgement of everyone's frustration.

Also, some take EVERYTHING I post universally in the worst possible light. Never mind that sometimes my view turns out to be accurate, other times I admit my mistake(s) freely. That's your issue, not mine. Best of luck with it.

13. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Thanks Robb.

Build that stadium.

If beckham is still injured on the 27th seriously think about giving out vouchers for the next game. We are pretty much paying for two games anyway.

14. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because you paint everything in the worst possible light. Everything is so doom and gloom. Anything that is positive you point out and focus in on the negative.

And we should all feel lucky that we have a team in KC. Does it end there? No. I don't think anyone here is thinking, "well, our team sucks, but hey, at least we have a team, we should be oh so grateful". I think everyone here expects a quality team, otherwise we wouldn't be investing so much of our time and energy into it.

Soccer is not only a sport, it's also a business. In order to be successful you have to be great. I'm sure OnGoal realizes this.

15. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    wow 11 posts and this thread is hijacked. Most impressive:rolleyes:

16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Clearly you are not used to the pessimistic presence of Wizardscharter yet.

17. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: A blunt response using slightly less psychology...

What the hell is wrong with you?

If you dont recall, it was a year ago today we found out our team was being saved. That is the reason for his post. To commemorate that, not be "stroked and pacified" because the team is struggling.

You dont see other owners taking the time to do that.

Show some appreciation, you ass.

18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Thank you. That's all I have to say.

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Come on guys. Robb came in to talk about our day of grace, he's excited about owning the team, let's celebrate. Sheesh.

And Dave, no offense because you're entitled to post your opinions, I appreciate your thoughts on our forums just keep stuff on topic. Robb started a thread to thank Greg and the fans. If you think there is another motive, to stop the fans from bitching, then that's your right. Some probably would even agree. This just isn't the place. I'd appreciate it you could help get this one back on topic. Can we?

20. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didnt mean to take it off topic but his post irked me a lot. Probably more than any other post I have seen on this board. I thought it was uncalled for.

Anyway...

Robb, thank you for the past year. Big strides have been made and its good to see. I look forward to the next year and many more.

21. slashersfc

slashersfc Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb,

Thank you for taking the time to come out here and celebrate the one year anniversary of ownership with us!

I hope the organization keeps moving forward with thier long-term goals of building a fine stadium; and that the team straightens out in the near-term for a run at the playoffs!

22. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb

Happy Paper(1 year) Anniversary! Since it's not really a wedding anniversary, I won't get you a clock :)

Thanks for buying the team, bringing in a Tech. Director, a new exciting offensive minded coach, commitment to EJ, commitment to a new stadium(hope we hear this soon), a new training facility and so on.

Here's to making the playoffs this year and to another great calendar year.

23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll trade you Alexi Lalas and a front office person to be named later for anyone in your organization...

24. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in Klein and we can talk. We can always use Alexi to direct traffic in the parking lot.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no thanks

I'm sorry I know Klein did quite a bit while he was here, but he's lost a step, his goal in the superliga aside, I think he's on the down side of his career, I wouldn't trade anyone in the ownership to get him back. Especially if Lalas was part of it to come our way.