Brooklyn Recommendations

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by GringoTex, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bamonte's was around the block from my old apartment. Always one of my favorites.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Are you sure BOG doesn't have new ownership? Have you been recently?

Well - I've only been living in the neighborhood a short time, so admittedly I haven't hit all that much, part of my impression is from Chowhound, which is probably a little like picking the U.S. National team based on BigSoccer posters, but off the top of my head, I've been to various Mexican places, Korean places, Chinese takeout, Pizza takeout, BOG, Dumont Burger (which I liked), Silent h (which I liked) and a Thai place or two.

I haven't tried Planet Thailand, but I've heard it's mediocre from someone whose opinion I trust, and well, Chowhound I believe agrees.

1 out of 16 ain't bad! :) (I may have also tried Teddy's burgers, but my memory is crappy.)

I've heard the food at Sea is also pretty mediocre from someone I trust - and not as good as Song/Joya. My Moon has good food? That place sure looks mediocre! Hehe.

I guess I'm coming from 5th Avenue - which isn't without it's own clunkers, but there's a fair amount of decent food in a small area.

But I'll have to try some of those places before I open my pie hole and can speak from more experience. What do you think is best of the best?

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I had a business meeting Friday in Manhatten and a friend of mine who has the Warren St. place was going to be away so I decided to stay there and hang out in Brooklyn for the weekend.

4. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I moved out of Williamsburg in 2002, out of Brooklyn in 2003, and have not been to BOG since maybe 2004.

I have been gone a while, so maybe I am not the one to ask for advice -- but I have a hard time believing that Planet Thailand is mediocre these days.

5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Le Barricou on Grand St. is brand new, and excellent.

Dumont is really great food, and it's a neighborhood institution, but it can get very crowded and the service is surly.

You absolutely cannot beat Fortunato Brothers for coffee and dessert - the chocolate gelato milkshake is amazing, and you will not find better cannoli anywhere outside of Italy.

Also, Bahia on Grand has what is supposedly the best Salvadorian food in New York. I'm no expert on Salvadorian food, but Bahia is delicious.

Chimu (Peruvian restaurant on Union) is superb.

As for Planet Thai, I would not call it mediocre, but it is far from the best sushi or Thai you will find in the neighborhood, much less in NYC. It's worth a visit if you've never been, because of the hip atmosphere, the wide pan-Asian menu selection, and the low prices. The food is absolutely good, and you will not find much better value for money in this city.

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO Williamsburg has a lot of very, very good restaurants and a few "you cannot miss this place!" restaurants.

You cannot miss:

The Aussie Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin, Soy Cured Venison Medalions and french fries at Wombat.

The burgers, wings (sauce on, not on the side, and get extra helpings of their secret blend gorgonzola dipping sauce), and 20 oz. bloody marys at Teddy's.

Cinnamon cream cheese-stuffed French toast at Santa Fe.

The Grilled Hangar Steak with bleu cheese butter at Relish.

The hot, big-titted, teenaged Polish waitresses at Raymund's.

The sauteed shrimp and cheddar grits at Lodge.

The escargots and the entire list of entrees at Le Barricou (most especially the Coq Au Vin).

The fried chicken, skirt steak with garlic butter, ribs and catfish poppers at Lazy Catfish. (steer clear of their blackened catfish and jambalaya, both of which are meh.)

The cold antipasto, salmone al forno and any of the fresh, hand-made pastas at La Piazzetta

The view, and the local mafia at Giando on the Water. Food there is meh.

Demosthenes already mentioned Fortunato Bros., and I'm going to second that in the strongest possible terms. And here's a fun, true story: The owner of Fortunato's just got out of jail (he did 10 years or so) for putting a hit out on the owner of Settepani, another local pasticceria. Settepani's cannolis aren't nearly as good, but the chocolate cheesecake is amazing, so my guess is that's what caused the dust-up.

Fette Sau. You already know how I feel about that place.

The table grill at Dokebi. A Brooklyn take on traditional Korean that, with Le Barricou and Fette Sau, would vie for my last meal.

The ceviche at Chimu. The first four times I went I'd have recommended the steak, too - and highly. But it was so bad the last time that you can skip it.

The fresh guacamole and chorizo burrito at Cafe Mexicano II. RIP - this place closed two months ago and I'm still in mourning.

The Salvadorean menu at Bahia.

Six years in the 'hood and I still haven't tried Bamonte's, but I'm vowing here to go by the end of the month. Also, Zenkichi is supposed to be the first really quality sushi in 11211, but I haven't been yet.

The rest of the neighborhood is filled with good, diverse restaurants - bad food doesn't last long in Brooklyn - but the above dishes are the ones that have stood out for me.

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad thing is most of these places I either forgot about or where not there when I lived there.

20 years ago, the food was much better

It was not Settapani's (which was Bruno's until about 5 years ago). It was another bread store on Metropolitan. I forgot the name of it.

How have you lasted that long. That place has been there something like 100 years. My grandfather used to go to the place.

I would also continue to suggest Cono's. If you like fish done up Italian style, I also must suggest Frost Street. I have mentioned Acqua Santa.

And of course -- Peter Lugars!

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Well I'll take your word for it, as long as we can all agree that he did try to kill someone. :D

I grew up in an Italian household in Connecticut, and my family never went out for any food except Italian growing up. Even now when I go home to visit we still only go Italian and - New Yorkers won't believe this, but it's true - Connecticut Italian food is just as good as NYC. Except for the pizza, which is actually better. So it rarely strikes me to say "hey, let's go out for Italian!"

But I promise I'll go to Bamonte's at least once by the end of August.

I wouldn't. Everything I've tried except the fra diavlo has been mediocre, and the portions are downright small.

I'll add it to the list.

Another one I've yet to try.

Peter Lugar's ruined my stomach. I used to have an iron gullet - never had acid reflux, indigestion, heartburn, whatever - then in spring 03 I went to Lugar's for the first time and something went... horribly... wrong. 4 years later and I'm still not the same; I travel everywhere with Rolaids and pop a Pepcid first thing in the morning.

The food was good, but nothing's worth getting that sick. Especially when the steak at Morton's is even better.

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived at Miyako when I worked at Galapagos

10. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, IIRC, he did have the guy killed, then when under investigation, went into the store and ordered bread crumbs from the guy's daughter.

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And after tonight's meal I may as well. I'm adding their Dak Bok Um to my list of can't-miss Williamsburg dishes. The seaweed salad is great too, but their tempura sucks.

12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    At risk of again sounding like a snob, have you been to Kunjip in Manhattan?

Which Bokum is that? It's not on their online menu at menupages.

13. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Because San Jose is filled with people who can't make it in San Francisco, while Brooklyn is filled with people who don't want to make it in Manhattan.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That's a pretty good answer. :)

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I missed this.

I haven't been to any Korean place in Manhattan except a place on 9th next to the Starlight Diner, and am a neophyte in all things Korean except the table grill. The bokum was a very, very spicy chicken with onions, peppers, and a half-dozen other vegetables.

I'm open to all suggestions wrt Korean in Manhattan.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    On topic - I had a Dumont Burger today - and I think it's one of the best in Manhattan based on my limited experience. It totally blows Island Burger away for example. I need to bump the burger thread.

Based on the recommendations here, I was going to go to Bamonte's, but apparently they are on vacation until September, so I'm going to try Barricou instead.

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I take it back about trying Barricou - my guest passed out from jet lag.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I hate to say it but I ate there tonight and mediocre is being a little kind. It's one of those places that does too many things and none of it well - although given the massive menu, it's hard for me to say for sure since I've only sampled a small portion. I do like the massive space.

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally went to Bamonte's last week, and it was pretty good. I had the Fra Diavlo, girlfriend had the Veal Riviera. All pretty good, as was the cold antipasto. But let there be no doubt: La Piazzetta blows it away. It's not even close.

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I just found out I'm going to be in Williamsburg at least one night this weekend. Great to see the recommendations for food!

Can anyone recommend a hotel? Or should I stay in Manhattan?

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Business or pleasure? Not much in the way of hotels in Williamsburg I don't think?

22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pleasure. I'm happy to stay in Manhattan, but I'm playing on Saturday in Brooklyn, so I figured I'd ask. I'm only going to be in NYC from Friday 'til Sunday. One friend is staying in Soho, and I might just do that.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well - you could check out craigslist for apartment rental - the price may be about the same, but hotels are pretty darn tiny.

Some friends of mine recently stayed at I believe the Marriott in Battery Park and the room sizes were decent.

But I'm not the best person to ask about the best hotels.

24. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea for a hotel, unfortunately.

For food, I've got to add DeStefano's Filet Mignon. Simply the best I've ever had in my life.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Cool - I just realized you said playing - where are you guys playing?