The All-Purpose Moreno at Copa America Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bolivianfuego, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just wanted to let you guys know that Moreno most likely is getting called up as today a propsed roster of players has been announced which they plan on most likely using for the copa america.

This is good for moreno, but bad for him staying a starter as maybe kpene might take his place when he gets back! Regardless this will let dc see how well they can do without moreno as this might....be his last year. :(

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Looks like moreno is going to the copa america!

I'd say it is bad for Bolivia that Moreno is still in their plans -- Jaime has been a great player but I don't think he is international caliber anymore.

3. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

remember from the 25 selected, 3 will be cut before the tourney

4. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I dont see him being cut, the way he played with bolivia against ireland it was clear he was the leader with the offense and the one giving the young guys confidence. Just as was Pena with the defense.

And trust me, the way hes played with DC lately does not reflect how hes played so far with bolivia, think moreno '04 when he just came back to DC.

5. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Re: Looks like Moreno is going to the Copa America!

Good for Jaime and the team. Kpene gets more time, Moreno gets a shot of confidence in that he's once again with his country in a tourney and, I hope, comes back with the usual post national team energy/confidence boost.

6. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully Jaime trains well for the Copa America by thrashing RBNY on Sunday!

7. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United

Yeah, but Bolivia hasn't had an international caliber squad since shortly after the 1994 World Cup.

I mean, the Brazilian Football Federation honestly thought Joselita Vaca was the rightful heir to Etcheverry. Wow.

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

We wont have an Etcheverry For a long time. He was runner up for best SA player of the year in '93 next to Pibe. If that gives you an idea. He's a legend and we wont have a caliber player like that until we can clean things up in our youth development....

9. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Club > Country

10. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD

Good Luck to Jaime.

I can picture opening 2009 at the new stadium. It is clearly a soldout, lots of media buzz, celebrities, world cup like atmosphere... Now imagine DCUnited will be playing for the first time on this new stadium against the national team of Bolivia. Our DCUnited player chooses to play one half for each team on his goodbye game.

Of course, that would be a proper goodbye and thank you game to el diablo. Jaime will prob stay around till 09.

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Yep. That could happen just like when etcheverry played his farewell game. Bruce was the coach for Marco's side of all stars.

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Heres a cool pic of Jaime they recently released with news on the team getting ready for the copa america:

[​IMG]

13. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

He looks like a target forward pushing people around! :D

14. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reminds me of one of my favourite Jaime pictures:

[​IMG]

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

You stole my MVP Trophy bitch :mad:

16. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United

Sorry for the crudeness, but ******** the SCUM!!

17. Pan-T Clause

Pan-T Clause New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no apologies necessary, I think we all feel that way

18. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

Good luck to Jaime. I really don't think this hurts DC United very much for that time. If the coach thinks he can help them for 45 or so minutes a game then good luck.

19. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man... that picture makes me really want a long-sleeve 04 jersey. That thing looks sweet.

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

As a fan yes I agree. I have far more invested in my club than my country.

But if I was a player I'd definitely put country > club.

21. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Per Goff, Moreno has indeed been called up:
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2007/06/moreno_departs_for_copa.html

22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Congrats to Jamie. Time for the young guys to step it up.

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Yep, just as i predicted. His play was great for only a half when with bolivia, against ireland. I knew he wasn't going to get deny'd this time.

24. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

It's official. The news release is out:

D.C. United’s Jaime Moreno called-up to Bolivian National Team

Forward to suit up for country in Copa America

Washington, D.C. (June 12, 2007) - D.C. United announced today forward Jaime Moreno has been called-up to the Bolivian Men’s National Team for the 2007 Copa America tournament that will take place June 26-July 15 in Venezuela. United’s all-time leading goal-scorer will depart later today in preparation for Bolivia’s opening round games. Led by head coach Erwin “Platini” Sanchez, Bolivia is paired in Group A with Venezuela, Uruguay and Peru. Moreno will be with the Bolivian Men’s National Team for the duration of the tournament, and will miss at least four games for the Black-and-Red.

“I am truly honored to once again have the opportunity to play for Bolivia in a prestigious tournament like Copa America,” said Moreno. “I’ve worked hard the last couple of years to earn this opportunity to get back on the national team. I am looking forward to playing in this tournament and doing my best to help my teammates on and off of the field.”

On May 26, Moreno represented his country in its friendly against Ireland, helping to set-up the equalizer in the 1-1 draw. He began his international career as the youngest member of Bolivia’s World Cup team in 1994. More recent appearances have come in 2000, in four qualifying matches in Bolivia’s run at the 2002 World Cup. During his career with the Bolivian national team, Moreno has made 65 international appearances and scored nine goals.

“This is a great honor for Jaime and D.C. United and it is well deserved,” added United technical director Dave Kasper. “His importance to a team goes way beyond the playing field and I am certain that he will be an integral part of the Bolivian team in the Copa America this summer.”

Moreno is widely considered to be one of the best players to ever play in Major League Soccer. The 33-year-old is currently tied with recently-retired Jason Kreis for the all time scoring record in MLS history with 108 goals. His 32 penalty kick goals are first all-time and he is third all-time in shots on goal (342), fourth all-time in game-winning goals (24) and multi-goal games (15), fifth all-time in total shots (592), sixth all-time in assists (84) and seventh all time in games played (257). Moreno is a six-time all-star (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006) and five-time member of the MLS Best XI (1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006). Following the League’s 10th season, he was also named to the RadioShack MLS All-time Best XI.

25. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The All-Purpose Moreno to Copa America Thread

Goff reported earlier today that Moreno was called up to the Bolivian National Team for Copa America. He will miss at least 4 matches, vs. Chicago on Saturday, at RSL June 23, vs. Colorado on June 28 and at Kansas City on July 4, more if Bolivia advances out of the group with Peru, Venezuela and Uruguay.

While this is great for Jaime, what does it mean for an attack that appears to have found its rhythm? Is Kpene fit? Do you move Fred inside and start Casal or Moose outside?