GC News about our Group B opponents (Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, El Salvador)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TimB4Last, Mar 7, 2007.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    My idea is to parallel the CA opponents thread, with news (including background information) about coaches & players, training, friendlies, etc.

This story will be difficult to top, but I assume everything will be resolved in fairly short order ...

http://news.bn.gs/article.php?story=20070307001211996

The Trinidad and Tobago football federation (TTFF) has suspended all of its national team programs except its under-17 side due to a funding squabble with the government, threatening the Soca Warriors' participation in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, AP reported.

Richard Groden, secretary general of the Trinidad federation, said Tuesday that the Trinidad government has failed to live up to promises made by Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes last year to provide funding to the federation, which Groden said had largely been supplied by CONCACAF president and former federation president Jack Warner.

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    what happened to the money t&t made off their appearance in the 2006 wc finals??

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Re: GC News about our Group B opponents (Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, El Salvador) [R]

Recent results

Guatemala (87)

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=gua/index.html

USA 0-0 Guatemala
    Barbados 0-0 Guatemala
    El Salvador 0-1 Guatemala

Trinidad and Tobago (67)

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=tri/index.html

Honduras 3:1 Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago 1:0 Haiti
    Costa Rica 4-0 Trinidad and Tobago

El Slavador (144)

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=slv/index.html

El Salvador 0-1 Haiti
    El Salvador 0-2 Honduras
    El Salvador 0-2 Honduras

4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: GC News about our Group B opponents (Trinidad & Tobago, Guatemala, El Salvador) [R]

Three games... one goal.

They should market DVDs of Guatemala games as a cure for insomnia.

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

check Jack Warners back pocket.....McBeth had it right....

6. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    For anyone who hasn't heard, T&T will be fielding a team without a single member of its WC 2006 team due to the pay dispute, which is a damned shame considering what a weak field this is outside of the usual suspects...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=436444&root=us&cc=5901

7. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Does this include Scott Sealy and/or do you know if he will be playing for T&T? I don't remember if he was on the final 2006 WC roster or not.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The teams in the US group are just not that good. I know teams are gonna bunker but the US should average three goals scored per game in group play.

9. The Wisdom Cube

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    I don't see him on their Gold Cup roster...

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=22079

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
    Goalkeepers: Marvin Phillip (North East Stars), Daurance Williams (San Juan Jabloteh), Jan Michael Williams (W Connection);
    Defenders: Dwayne Jack (San Juan Jabloteh), Thomas Nickcolson (W Connection), Anthony Noreiga (Joe Public), Trent Noel (San Juan Jabloteh), Seon Power (Joe Public), Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public), Glenton Wolffe (North East Stars);
    Midfielders: Romauld Aguillera (United Petrotrin), Christon Baptiste (Defence Force), Kerry Baptiste (Joe Public), Keon Daniel (United Petrotrin), Andrei Pacheco (W Connection), Silvio Spann (W Connection), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA);
    Forwards: Gary Glasgow (Joe Public), Kendall Jagdeosingh (North East Stars), Errol McFarlane (Superstar Rangers), Darryl Roberts (Sparta Rotterdam/NED), Andre Toussaint (W Connection).
    Coach: Wim RIJSBERGEN (Netherlands)

But I don't see him on their World Cup roster from last year either...

http://trinidadtobago.worldcupblog.org/1/2006-trinidad-and-tobago-world-cup-roster.html

10. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Interesting. Appreciate the help.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's nice to see Joe Public so well represented; I'm sure it helps to have Connections, too; a few Stars but just one Superstar - sounds like a pretty balanced squad.

12. The Wisdom Cube

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Maybe he was an alternate on the WC team?

Anyways, this is quite a story about their team's efforts to get to the Home Depot Center:

http://www.socawarriors.net/news1.htm

To the BS'er responsible for this incident, well done!:D

13. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to capitalize on the WC T&T:eek:

And doesn't it always seem like we're grouped with El Salvador in something whether its the GC or the semis of WCQ?

14. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    The only one who capitalized was Jack A Warner, he got his country T&T to the World Cup by paying Mexico to lose to T&T in the very last game of Qualifying.

The man got caught illegally selling T&T WC tickets, making huge profits. He's a piece of shit, he continually steals from his federation.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes, I think the MLS teams arrange this so they can show all the Salvadoreans living in the US how bad their team suchs compared to ours so MLS teams can justify not having any Salvadoreans on their roster any more.

I say this only partly in jest.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

you are correct....although few seem to care or want to change the status quo.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow so we're getting El salvador, guatamala, and a watered down T&T. This first game we play is the biggest one. I think Landon and EJ are up top against guatemala. EJ breaks out of his lull finally. I think Ching and Twellman will be able to knock a few in on their own behalf too against them.....and the third place A/C team. We can afford to tinker in the games after Guatemala up to the semifinal i think. Then the last two games we throw in the big boys.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sidenote, if it wasnt for the U-20 tourneyment this would have been THE time to bleed in Altidore. Kid is incredible. His technique is already much better than players like EJ, Twellman, and Ching. Even with the amount of goals EJ and Twellman have scored i still think Altidore is our second best forward, all you need to do is watch a game with Altidore and you know whats up, he's an amazing player.

I think this summer is really the last we see of at least Twellman and Ching in starting roles, and phasing in of Altidore and Davies. and that SHOULD start against Sweden. That game has Donovan-Davies up top written all over it, with Altidore off the bench in any luck. Should be the same against Poland and at Camp Nou as well.

19. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    We're playing Poland again? I thought we had Sweden, Switzerland and Catalunia for our Euro trip?

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your right that was my fault. Sweden, Switzerland, and the Catalans :p

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Poland is mentioned as a prospective opponent on the USMNT schedule thread, stickied at the top of this forum - see the first post, which hasn't been updated recently.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The 'full' T&T team is here at last ...

http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,58442.html

THE FULL Trinidad and Tobago football squad for the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup assembled at the Torrance Marriot Hotel in Los Angeles, USA on Tuesday night after US visa issues were sorted out which allowed eight players stranded in Honduras to enter the host country.

Interesting sidenote on the HDC and evrything that takes place there.

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    From what I gather it's virtually impossible.

He holds all of the Carrib. nations votes through patronage, corruption and payoffs. That number easily beats the rest of the region even if they all combined, so it would be a futile effort, and could likely bring backlash to those that oppose.

Also, even thought he is a crook/shady character he is in with the biggest schmuck in charge in Blatter. In some ways he actually does help us. Sad predicament all the way around.

24. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    Plus, he hates the U.S. National team and he jerks off the Mexican one.

25. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    any evidence warner bribed mexico to dump the wcq match so t&t could make the finals??