Italian interview with Giuseppe Rossi

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    The latest issue of the Italian weekly sports magazine Guerin Sportivo features an interview with Giuseppe Rossi. I have translated the parts of it that I figured would be of the most interest to this forum, and skipped some of the stuff in the middle; his arrival in Manchester, thoughts on Ferguson and Man U teammates, etc. Here it is:

Giuseppe, your story is incredible. Could you begin by telling us about it?
    “I was born in Teaneck, New Jersey, but I lived in Clifton with my family. It’s a two-hour drive from New York, a splendid city.”

Your last name assures that you’re the son of Italians
    “Exactly. My grandparents had gone to America to find work. My mother Cleonilde has origins in the area of Acquaviva di Isernia, and my father Fernando is fom Fraine, Chieti. Both of them were teachers of Italian and Spanish.”

Why didn’t you choose baseball?
    “To tell the truth I played quite a bit of it. I used to play it in a park near my house with my friends. I was a pitcher. But I quickly realized that I prefered to pass a ball with my feet. But they were all fans of American football. I, however, cheered for Milan.”

Milan?
    “Yes, my father’s team. You could say that it’s the team of my whole family. It’s my team, too. I dreamt of becoming a player like Van Basten.”

Apart from your height, you could try it.
    “I have always liked soccer a lot. At four years old I played in the Clifton Stallions. In New Jersey there are two passionate soccer communites; the South Americans and we Italians. At 13 I decided to come here to follow my passion.”

To Tabiano Terme.
    “I stayed my first few months with my father. Then he returned to America to work, until he decided to move here for good in order to be near me. Now we live here, while my mother and sister Tina, a law student, are in Clifton.”

[...]

The USA coach Bruce Arena had asked you in the summer to join the U.S. team. Can you confirm that?
    “I can. And I thank him for it. But my heart is with Italy.”

And inside do you feel Italian, Giuseppe?
    “I felt very Italian when I lived in America. Once I arrived here, observing the professionalism with which my teammates carried themselves, I felt different, more American. In England I feel Italian-American.”

This is the first interview that you have given to an Italian magazine. Why did you wait so long?
    “Because I’m a very relaxed person. I live a simple life; I like to listen to music, surf the Internet and go to the movies when I can. I’ve just scored a few goals, nothing special. The attention that I’m getting seems exaggerated. That’s why I prefer not to show myself off.”

Do you have any goals off the field?
    “I would like to get an online degree. I’m doing a course through the University of Massachusetts. I just took an English exam.”

Is there someone special in your love life?
    “Yes, for two years now. Her name is Maria and she’s from Parma.”

by Matteo Marani

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Thanks for posting the translation.

Seems to me the dad ought to get back to living his own life and let his son get on with his.

I'm sorry but anyone that would prefer to live in one country with his adult son while his wife lives in another country either doesn't think too much of his wife or thinks too damn much of his son.

Also, Rossi didn't do himself any favors with most on these boards by claiming he feels American when surrounded by the Italian professionalism. He seems to really have a low opinion of American soccer and that's a shame.

3. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    I love how the magazine implied that Rossi got a call-up for the WC that he turned down when I believe he was asked if he was interested in one of our pre-WC camps like in the winter. Not a big deal, but the nuance irked me.

I wish him well, and have friends who are 2nd generation who still feel a stronger pull to their parent's country than the one they grew up in. But the little jabs at America seem to be more primed at meeting the readership's expectations than anything else.

4. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    A two hour drive from Teaneck to NYC? By what, mule?

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    This is the part that I found the most interesting:

Contrast that with these comments from Arena back in the fall of '05:

So, if Rossi's statements are true -- that Arena asked him last summer to play for the USA -- they would indicate that Arena made a complete about face in a last-ditch effort to get him on board just before the World Cup.

Very interesting, indeed.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - I think the target audience plays a part. I do think this interview captures some of the dual loyalties he may have - wants to play for Italy but feels American around his team-mates - it's actually kind of a tough place to be - you get the benefits of being a member of both countries, but are never truly at home either place.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so. Arena never said he didn't call Rossi, just said he wasn't going to chase him. Both Arena and Rossi confirm the key point -- that Rossi's heart is with Italy, not the US.

8. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was referring to Clifton which is about a 2 hour walk from New York City.

9. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    LOL. That's exactly what I was thinking. Even if he's referring to Clifton, he's still wrong.

10. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    ....Sounds like more than his heart is in Italy.;)

Let's get a look at "Maria from Parma" to see what she is all about.

11. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    I wish he gave this interview years ago. All he needed to do was explain himself.

I've got no problem at all with this kid & I wish him luck.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Fall 2005 - After Rossi turns down an offer to join the U.S. team Arena states that he is "not interested in having him".

Summer 2006 - Arena again asks Rossi to join the U.S. team.

Once again, that is IF Arena really did make the offer to Rossi last summer as Rossi states in this interview.

But if he did then it certainly sounds like Arena did a 180 to me.

13. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    Or Rossi & the interviewer were imprecise in their answers. For instance, Teaneck & Clifton are 20-30 minute drives from NYC.

14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Like our dear President, Arena never thought the rules applied to him.

What was said was about convenience (and protecting power, legacy, deflecting blame) at the time.

Its all good if you win. It smells if you lose. Story is always the same.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    "I was born in Clifton, New Jersey ... which, at the time, was not a Federal offense." - Rupert Pupkin.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And inside do you feel Italian, Giuseppe?
    “I felt very Italian when I lived in America. Once I arrived here, observing the professionalism with which my teammates carried themselves, I felt different, more American. In England I feel Italian-American.”

This makes perfect sense to me. In America he felt Italian, becuase ofhis family and community. In Italy he feels American, becuase he obviously has a different upbringing than his teammates.

I wish him luck. We don't need him. We've got Jozy :)
    Italy can have our hand-me-downs.

Now, how do Italians view him? Do they see him as Italian or American.

By the way, Italian-Americans communities were the cornerstone of American soccer. In particular the communities on the Hill in St. Louis. I think 5 players on the 1950 World Cup team were from there (Columbo, Pariani, etc.)

17. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    i believe the timelines are imprecise as somebody else said. No way Bruce was looking to call him into the full team without a camp, friendly, etc.

18. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Although he's a good player, it's still not clear that he can play for the Italian team.

19. zeusbrowne

zeusbrowne New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    West Orange, NJ
    Do you mean eligibility-wise or talent-wise? I'm not aware of any question about his eligibility.

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    So when he saw his teammates diving, faking injuries, and elbowing other players in the face, he realized he had ways to go before he could truly call himself Italian?

21. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or even his talent. He has featured several times now for the Italy U-20s. I know that doesn't mean a whole lot, but the kid is good and well thought of. If he continues his development and progress, a full Italy call-up is definitely within his grasp and more power to him.

I share the feeling of those who are just happy to finally hear him voice his feelings and about his circumstance. I have no hard feelings. I am not offended by his comment about professionalism. There's really not much to argue about there. Good luck to the kid. I look forward to seeing him on the world stage.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

???

From the stuff I've seen (which, admittedly isn't all that much), he's easily the most talented, American born attacking player this side of Landon Donovan and Freddy Adu. He doesn't have the athletecism that LD has and he's he doesn't have the skill level that Freddy has, but he's a combination of the two players and is a far better finisher than either.

Hand-me-downs? I wish. We need a player like him in the worst way.

All that said I don't mind begrudge him a bit for wanting to play for Italy

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There are lots of questions marks about whether he will be good enough - he wants to play for one of the best countries in the world and one of the best at producing players at his position.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He has more all-around skills than Freddy. Useless stepovers ain't a skill.

The basic odds of the U-20/21's being from a 1-2 year group and the adult nationals being the best from a ~ 15 year time span preclude many youth stars from ever being the adult team members.

25. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Va fanculo, finocchio.