Rumor: Crew sign Guillermo Barros Schelotto

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by BobyOne, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That makes the move to be an allocation move only and not a DP even more understandable, and intelligent. If true, it will be bittersweet to have such a great player for such a short time. Hopefully he will enjoy playing for us so much that he will stick it out for the 2 years that had been rumored--which is all any of us could/would really expect from a 34-year-ol anyway. And when Gustavo comes that means someone else needs to be dropped from the SR, and more importantly an SI spot, unless I am mistaken. Any current SI's you wish to release for Schelotto's less-talented brother? I'm sure the guy is not bad, but I can't think of one.

2. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a sec, we are signing Guillermo's brother to, why? Doesn't he suck? Gustavo plays in the USL and isn't that great of a player from what I heard. I wouldn't cut anyone for him just to make Guillermo happy. I don't think anywhere it mentions us bringing in Gustavo to and that has never been part of the rumour. I think people are just getting confused by news sources stating that Guillermo is joining his brother in America by going to another American team. I wouldn't cut any of our current players for Guillermo's less talented brother to sit the bench.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's retired league-wide.

[​IMG]

4. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it highly unlikely that the crew would sign this guy and only get a year out of him. Its not like our other foreign signings, picked from relative obscurity for their potential to make a difference on the team. This guy is tested and proven in one of the most pressure-filled leagues in the world.

At least I hope we get more than a year out of him.

5. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    Maybe not even a year. FSC just said Chivas USA may also be in the running for Guille's services.:eek:

6. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcer on FSC just mentioned that Guillermo could be going to Chivas USA rather than the Crew...

Additionally, one of the KC threads is on about a rumor that Chivas USA trying to trade with KC for a 1-year DP slot...

Hmmm... :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

7. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So here's the part where this thread goes all to hell, part dux.

Did anyone else hear the announcer on the FSC broadcast say that Schelotto might be considing Chivas USA as well because he'd feel more comfortable in a larger Latino population?

Has anyone seen anything linking him to Chivas before that? Was that just an announcer speculating that he'd like LA more?

8. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, after all the hype I would be quite pissed if we don't sign Guillermo. But, hey we are the Columbus Crew. So anything is possible.

9. Pepe Le Crew

Pepe Le Crew Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    For those of you more familiar with the MLS rules, can Chivas do this (if they are trying to)? Do we have any rights here?

10. LegalBeagle

LegalBeagle Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Springboro, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wouldn't be pissed. Amused, but not pissed. I trust the collective judgment of the front office. Also, I'm very confident that this team --- as is --- will score goals.

11. Crewfan Scott

Crewfan Scott New Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I don't see why not unless the Crew have declared GBS as their DP like we did with McBride... lot of good that did us.

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think anyone knows the rules about DP and rights to certain players under the DP rule. However, the very few things I've seen suggest that when dealing with the DP, MLS is letting teams bid on players. Whoever the player signs for, he signs for and there are no "rights." After all, all MLS is up for is 400K and that's it. Of course that is just speculation on my part.

It would just really suck if this were true. Crew and HSG put in 2 years of the leg work to get this guy and at the last minute CUSA swoops in with interest and signs the player.

13. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute!!! You mean he might be coming to work with my kids' club, Centerville United Soccer Association?!!! Cool!

14. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I don't see how seedy Chivas can pull this off here at the eleventh hour, and as mentioned above I have to wonder if Valdivieso's surprising comments on GBS were just idle speculation. Chivas doesn't seem to have anything KC would want or need, maybe Kljestan to give Zavagnin some help but I don't see Preki wanting to part with him. Chivas seems to need a big center half anyway, I'm not sure why they would want to add GBS.

15. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, the smoke screen is starting to lift and the truth will be revealed tomorrow. This was all just to divert attention from our true signing. GBS looked like it all made sense, but Chivas was the real taker, a surprise to all media outlets involved. This was so nobody would suspect the truth that Riquelme really is coming to Columbus.

16. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Or maybe Ortega.

17. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wanna see a player that is hated? Let GBS sign with Chivas then come play at HP.

18. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Blanco may get a similar response.

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSE....which was airing the Argentina super clasico is talking of the imminent departure of Guille, who did play a few minutes in end.. (won't give score away) and after the match was the focus of the commentators....

20. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    No, I agree with Mike. My ire will be saved for GBS if he goes with the Goats.

21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    That would also go for poor old Niziolek if we ever end up working something out with RBNY.

22. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with Mike, it would piss me right off as well, but I have a special place in my hate for Blanco.

At least we know he can't score in CCS.

23. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually, the Chivas thing seems plausible. They have two SI spots open, but would have to move two players off the Sr. roster.

We probably weren't willing to take his bro. Which I would agree with. We have no dead weight on our roster and don't need any.

24. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    If GBS decides to sign with Cheevus then all I can say is....

Who cares. Danny O'Rourke is better.

25. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Do we possibly trade our DP slot for one of their players? Just a thought.