Oguchi Onyewu: Newcastle vs. Manchester City (R) 3/31 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by golazo68, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Re: Newcastle vs. Manchester City (R) 3/31- No Gooch starting!

The persecution complex around here is pretty bad. Nobody's completely (or even partially) blaming Onyewu for Newcastle's problems. I don't see anyone coming in here condemning him for ruining their season.

They're just making the comment that in the games he's played, he's looked like one of the worse players in what has consistently been one of the crappier defences in the Premiership this season. That's not a good thing.

2. SomeKindofStranger

SomeKindofStranger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

But then when you look at how the defense has performed since he's arrived - one goal per game - oh ya, that's not relevant sorry.

toon army disclaimer: Gooch has nowhere near the skills to play at such a massive club.

3. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

What's our record with Gooch playing?

O yea.

4. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

By that line of reasoning then its IS Gooch's fault NUFC is doing badly since his arrival simply becasue: while NUFC has not scored, the defense has let in a number of goals and lost them rather than tieing 0-0.:rolleyes:

your intellect escapes me...

Again you clown, and that is an insult to the people of humour persuasion everywhere, please feel free to parse my words as you wish to fit them into your tinyworld view, because you obviously cannot be proven wrong.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

^^^

Shouldn't that sig be "the Hindenburg of the Premiership"?
    It's Gooch's fault you guys can't score a goddamn goal?

This really is Howard at ManU revisited.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

With this line of reasoning, it would be so easy to pick defenders as a national team manager!!!

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

What's your point? That Gooch has revolutionised NUFC's defence? :rolleyes:

You can quote all the statistics that you like - a slight reduction in goals conceded could mean anything over such a short period. The bottom line is that anyone who's watched the games can attest that NUFC's back line hasn't suddenly got any better, and Gooch is one of the ones who has been least solid.

Look, I like Onyewu, and I think he's a good player. You don't earn the Juliper League golden ball as a defender without being talented. But you can stick your fingers in your ears, yell and scream, and dig up statistics as much as you want and it won't change the fact that he's been a pretty spectacular flop so far at SJP. I sincerely hope he turns it around.

8. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

Not at all - it's not that easy of a point to miss.

It is NOT the defense's fault that Newcastle can't score - why is that so hard to grasp?

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

That's great. Nobody's saying it is.

10. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

While your intellect extends that line of reasoning to Newcastle's defense's being to blame for not allowing them to tie 0-0?

Pure comedy. Gooch coming to Newcastle - at first I thought it would be interesting, then I rued the day after reading all the toonyisms, now it's just hilarious. I had no idea that there was such a fanbase that was so...I don't know, for lack of a better description, like you.

11. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

Alright, don't infer.

The point is, it's not the defense's fault that Newcastle isn't winning since not scoring a goal makes it impossible to win.

Of course, it is completely the defense's fault that they haven't tied, as was recently pointed out to me.

Gooch has not gotten off to the great start that both US fans and Newcastle fans hoped, that is for sure. But to say he's been a "spectacular flop" is going a bit overboard.

12. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home
    What's the interest in Newcastle's own fans coming on to a US message board to insist that one of their players is horrible anyway?

"We think you have a player, despite his less than spectacular beginning, with a lot of potential."

"No, you're an idiot. He's horrible - we were stupid for trying, and we'd be even bigger idiots for signing him on."

Now I understand why Newcastle has perpetually underachieved - the people who run the club are probably Newcastle fans.

13. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

They've scored three.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Of course TV misses some of what the fans in the stands don't. And the fans in the stands miss much of what TV doesn't. Unless your a freakin' perrigrine falcon, you simply cannot get as close to the play at all times a TV camera does. That just the way it is.

Which is not to say it's not true that sometimes live is the only way to see a play - especially when you want to look where the camera isn't pointing. At the same time, you know there are many, many games where you went home to see the highlights because you'd missed something, it happened so fast, and the jumbtron replay stunk. I mean, let's all just be real, kay?

15. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Yes, because all YA fans state their case like that. :rolleyes:

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

No, that's not the point. It's so far from the point it's not funny. This thread is about Onyewu, not NUFC, and I don't see anyone here claiming that Onyewu is the cause of problems at Toon that existed long before he arrived.

The real point is that Onyewu is thus far one of the poorer performers in a defence that is the butt of a lot of jokes anyway. Anybody who has watched the games will tell you he's been frankly piss-poor so far. And if he can't secure a deal with Newcastle at the end of his loan (given the quality of the defence and his reputation) then I'd call that a pretty horrendous flop. If he doesn't kick his performances up another couple of gears ASAP I can't see that not happening.

I dare say that the disappointment from Toon fans here is mainly down to the fact that Onyewu was so hyped up, and has comprehensively failed to produce so far. NUFC were desperate to add something to their defence and he genuinely looked like he could do that. Hopefully he turns it around and does, instead of looking like he might be Boumsong Mk II.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeahsurewhatever. For atmosphere, you're right. For analyzing play - sometimes. Sometimes not.

Uh, and what's up with all the Toon criers here. Can't afford a forum of your own? Can we arrange a video-hug for all Newcastle fans so they don't have to come here to rank? It's really kinda hysterical. Just reading you guys makes me suicidal - and I'm a happy man!

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

And if Newcastle don't buy him and goes on to succeed at another English or German club - what then?

I'm not so worried about what frustrated, bitter Newcastle fans call a "horrendoous flop" I'm more worried about a good situation for Gooch to mature and improve his game. I'm not sure Newcastle is the place. It feels too much like it's bright-stadium neighbor when a certain monkey head was steering the ship.

19. FrankCasper

FrankCasper Red Card

Mar 4, 2005

You do realise he was mocking your line of reasoning don't you?

20. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

A Newcastle fan mocking someone? Nooooooooooooo!

If you're ability to understand English were as good as your competence in recognizing mockingness ;), you'd be dangerous.

"While your intellect extends that line of reasoing (to something 1000X more preposterous)"

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

Hate to burst your bubble but not many teams want a guy who gets victimized by Darrent Bent and Mbo Mpenza.

22. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home
    I'm convinced that Newcastle fans, so long the bridesmaids, have developed a sense that allows them to perceive any slight, no matter how small, and react.

23. FrankCasper

FrankCasper Red Card

Mar 4, 2005
    Ah, the irony...

24. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

Well, when people say he is "victimized" by Darren Bent and Mpenza, sure.

Why is Toon fan saying that when it is simply not true? Is it exaggeration to state a case?

First you said he "has been a spectacular flop" and now you change it to "he WILL be a spectacular flop". I don't see how failing to secure a loan deal would be "spectacular" but hey, those are just words.

Btw, the big expectations created by Gooch's arrival had a lot to do with U.S. fans who do "spectacularly" overrate their own players, so that's Newcastle's own fault. :D

25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

Good for him. Nobody likes to see a player do poorly.

Look, I'm disappointed for the player that he hasn't made a success of this opportunity, and I'm disappointed for the club that what looked like a piece in the long-unfinished defensive puzzle hasn't lived up to expectations. But that said, it's still early days and I hope that he turns it around - for the sake of all parties involved.

Nobody's here to bash Onyewu or blame him for NUFC's problems, but nobody's going to gild the lily when he's been playing badly either. The reality is that so far he's been very poor. I think it goes without saying that everyone wishes him the best.

Has been so far, will be if he continues the same way. Look, for a player hyped as much as Onyewu to fail to secure a deal with a club that has the defensive problems of NUFC, after being given a generous trial period on loan... maybe I've bought into the talk about him on BS too much, given him too much credit as a player, but I think that would be a major disappointment.