Oguchi Onyewu: Newcastle vs. Manchester City (R) 3/31 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by golazo68, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Re: Newcastle vs. Manchester City (R) 3/31- No Gooch starting!

Of course Newcastle are a mess, they've never not been. If we are trying to maintain a budget why would we waste money signing a player who so far has proven he can't adjust or play in the EPL?

It's not only Owen, it's also Shola Ameobi as well. If we had our 3 strikers fit we wouldn't be forced to play our midfielders like Dyer and to an extent Sibierski up front.

Why? If a decision was to be made today it would be Gooch on a plane back to Belgium

2. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And this leads to comments like, we need a whole new backline ASAP.

Personally, I hope Gooch doesn't stay in Newcastle. Greener pastures elsewhere.

3. SomeKindofStranger

SomeKindofStranger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

What you need are people who can score - the defense is holding up pretty well seeing that the attack is anemic.

The defense since Gooch arrived is among the best in the PL, unless one goal per game is not very good now.

Just think, if Gooch hadn't screwed up today, Newcastle could have TIED the game at ZERO.

4. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home

Especially when he'll most likely be given his papers at the end of the year.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing you fan boys don't understand is our defense has been awful since Kevin Keegan was in charge. Our midfield is our strength and the forwards will be strong once Shola and Owen return. The consistent problem over the last 10 years has been back line(except for a healthy Woodgate) and Fat Fred, but since most of you have only been paying attention since Gooch signed (5 games:rolleyes: ) you wouldn't know that. Go into any NUFC forum from around the world and you'll hear the same thing. Do your homework before spouting off on subjects you know next to nothing about.

icNewcastle

Toon Newsfeed

Gooch if he wants a contract he had better perform and no amount of excuses are going to change that fact that he hasn't performed well enough yet to earn a deal. Why is this so hard for some of you people to understand?

Toon Forum Interesting poll Gooch vs. Bramble sure to bring out the sharpest tools in the tool shed we call Yanks Abroad.

More knowledge for those that are lacking

and more information

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This just gave me the giggles. And I thought us YA junkies were delusional...

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    thanks, I now feel much better about his future at the club.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=37651.0

8. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

You are delusional, and apparently your reading comprehension skills are lacking as well.

9. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    How many teams with "greener pastures" want someone playing like Gooch has been?

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'd love to know just how many people who have posted in this thread were actually at the game today?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say oooooooh around none. Well unfortunatly for me I was.

Forget what press reports you have read, Gooch was turned for the goal, I saw it and so did everyone else in the ground. We also saw him miss an absolute sitter right at the end. Before he signed for us I was hopeful due to his size and the chatter on these boards that he would be a good header of the ball. He isn't.

As for us not needing a new back 4 well you people have clearly never watched a Newcastle match have you. The entire team is crap but the defence is particularly crappy. Gooch has done nothing to change this, he isn't good enough. I don't see why you think anyone from a major European league would want to sign him now after his performances over the last 4 games. There is no possible way you can spin it so that Gooch comes out as looking like a good player during those games.

11. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home
    One goal per game average over 6 games is crappy?

Before you go off on one of your clever fan boy comments, or you're so delusional whatever, I don't think Gooch's play warrants him a contract extension and see no hope for improvement.

I'm still waiting for some Newcastle fan boy (do all of you have 'Jay' or 'Toon' in your name) to explain how the defense is to blame when you score ZERO goals.

I hope, for Gooch's sake he doesn't get stuck up in that vortex that is Newcastle. I mean, you're counting on Michael Owen and Shola to shore up your offense? One of them has been broken for the better part of a year and there is a good chance that he is done at 27 after being beat up in the 'anything that doesn't make you bleed isn't a foul PL' and the other has a strike rate of one every five games for Newcastle.

Run, Gooch, as fast as you can when June comes.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I'd like to see what an improved midfield, that posses the ball better and is more efficient with the ball does.

But no, Gooch hasn't been that good. But IMO he will be. But this premiership game is FAST. I'd like to see him get a shot to acclimate himself to the speed of the game. But if Newcastle doesn want to, that's fine - he'll land on his feet somewhere

13. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I wasn't aware the season only started when Gooch came...

14. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe he meant to say Gooch was responsible for the Ecuador goal, not just the Mpenza goal. While still supporting Gooch and hoping for the best, it's not unreasonable to acknowledge he has not been getting it done for Newcastle United. Barring a quick and significant turn for the positive, it will be surprising to see him at NU next season. That doesn't mean he won't be playing in Europe.

15. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home
    Since this is a thread about him, that is pretty much the period I'm referring to.

Newcastle's defense has NOT been the problem in 2007 except for one game where he didn't play. If anyone thinks it was the defense that caused all the problems versus Charlton, then they need to find another sport to watch.

If anyone wants to place the blame for the Manchester City score today squarely on his shoulders, then they have an agenda. He's not blameless, but he didn't turn the ball over in midfield.

toon army disclaimer: I don't think Gooch has played very well.

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home
    See, not everyone here is actually relying on press reports, just posting that other people who write about these things for a living don't see it the same way that you, who was at the game, do.

We haven't been waiting for those who were at the game, believe it or not, to come and tell us "how it is".

They have this new thing called television - it enables people who aren't actually at a game see the same things that people who are.

There's this other thing called The Internet where you can see highlights if you didn't actually catch it on TV.

Techmawl-a-gee. You should check it out sometime.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    sounds like that will not be necessary.

19. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    What the hell?

Are you being serious? Newcastle's biggest problem this year has been the defense. No questions. Notice how I say this season, as in referring to the whole 4 or 5 months of games that were played without Gooch. That's all fine and dandy you guys think the problem is fixed because Gooch is here, but for Newcastle fans who have followed the team for more than the 6 games Gooch has played on it the defense is our weak spot. With this knowledge I can render your comments about Newcastle as worthless because you haven't seen enough of them to really justify any opinion you have.

Run, run as fast as you can to Youtube and look at highlights from over the course of the year...

20. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home
    I believe you.

But like I said, since this is a Oguchi Onyewu thread, we are talking about the time period that he has been at the club.

In that time period, the defense seems to be playing well, while your offense has hardly scored at all. Leads one to believe that the offense is the biggest problem right now.

Is that incorrect?

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Of course that is correct, but your posts were mocking the fact that Newcastle fans are calling for a new backline, and if you had watched us over the course of the year you would see that is the real problem. The attack is just in a dry spell right now, almost every team has a spell like this over the course of a year.

22. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gooch is a bust at Newcastle, why wouldn't he be a bust at Marseille? Are you blaming the team for him being a bust or blaming everyone but him? Or are you saying that he needs to be playing against weaker teams?

No Newcastle fan gives the attackers or the midfield a free pass. If you would read the Newcastle boards you would see that we are pissed about the midfield and not crying about Owen. Alot are even skeptic about Owen coming back or if he will be good when he comes back.

Taking one post out of contest does not prove a point.

I think this is the biggest problem when Newcastle fans and YA fans dicuss Gooch. We see it in the context of Newcastle's past seasons and what is best for the team and YA fans see it in the context of what is best for Gooch and only what has happened while he has been at Newcastle.

23. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and I suppose you were glued to your tV watching it live yourself? If So, you are then the only one eligible to throw around your $.02 as if it were the word of god straight friom his mouth eh? smarter kooks please...:rolleyes:

Lest we point out the single most important fact and the reason for this thread: that Gooch was awful today and his mistake was rookies mistake that let in a goal. No matter how you spin it, even if the Toon had scored six, Gooch's play was terrible. He has been terrible. He is consistantly out of position and consistanty gets beat by smaller faster opponents who know how to run at, thru and in between defenses.

In one on one situations he works well, using his size and power to intimidate and supress teh strikers he plays against. In the EPL few teams play like Mexico or CONCACAF teams with a "power forward" and or lone striker and few teams strikers are intimidated by physical prowess.

Unless he learns to run and use his brain at the same time he has a very short career in the EPL no matter what team picks him up.

And in closing I have heard that Gooch is good enough for the EPL becasue he can give Borghetti the stick. Reality check here: Borghetti "played" in the EPL for few seasons and barely left the bench...that comparison does not speak well of Gooch.

24. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    To my knowledge Borgetti didn't play in the EPL for a few seasons. He played in one season. He made 32 appearances in all competitions with 7 goals. True he did not make many starts in the league but I wouldn't trust your analysis of why Big Sam didn't give him more starts.

25. SomeKindofStranger

Mar 28, 2007
    moved to Kiel - home
    Hey crackerhead - PAY ATTENTION...I was responding to toonX9, or TinyToon, or Toonsylvania6-5000 -- hell, I don't know which one it was anymore - but HE is the one who came back from the game spouting off about how we should all listen to him and ignore press reports because his was there.

Nowhere did I say only I was qualified - as a matter of fact - I said quite the opposite - that many, many people were qualified to talk about such a match thanks to T.V. and internet.

Was I glued to my T.V.?

For a Newcastle game that Gooch didn't start in? ROTFLMAO

The more I get to know Toon fan, the more I hope and pray that Gooch get's the hell out of there.