Rev News, 3.18 Joseph Wants Out!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by jw, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  2. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to make clear that all Shalrie is asking for is CHRIS ARMAS money when he is at least twice the player Armas is. And I am an Armas fan...others might not be so generous.

What an organization.

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I guess the team's cheapness has finally caught up with them. Dempsey's and Twellman's situations didn't turn out to be isolated incidents.

Unless another team wants to make SJ a DP, he's stuck with the Revs. Either way, the FO needs to wake up.

5. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wear the "Pay Shalrie" T-shirts to the Meet The Revs Event.

6. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask and you shall receive

7. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Could we maybe get those shirts in navy blue with white instead of white w/ green?

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The purpose of the green is because money is green.

9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMFG...

Guys! Guys! Why do we always find some other perp other than who is to blame here????

It's not SN...it's not the GM..it's not Mike Burns...it's not Sunil, Jonathan or Don Garber...The problem here is the OWNER. The one and only Owner. C'mon..C'mon...ask Kraft real quick where Sharlie comes from..go ahead ask..His reply will be ummmahhhhhh..Jamaica???

I'm finally blue in the face. Because no matter how many times I say it..people go and try and point a finger at the "messanger". Yea..it's called pecking order. And my money goes on the fact that Kraft could care less, plain and simple. Do you understand????

HE COULD CARE LESS! pretty easy to decipher this...

...He didn't go to the "CHAMPIONSHIP GAME"...why would he care what jersey Sharlie is going to wear.

Ask Kraft if he knows the name Shankley...someone who was affiliated at one time with the team that Kraft wanted to buy. He doesn't have a clue..and I'll say again..He could care less!!!!! He doesn't give 2 shits about this team or the fans of the "game"....

This is the true passion of the game...

Never walk alone

10. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Ya, I know, but I just would have preferred the blue and white;)

EDIT: ya, we already know that he doesn't care about us RevsFanDan

11. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. Steve Goff in his blog (Soccer Insider off of the W.Post site) has more details. Joseph is willing to play for all other clubs in MLS and (as mentioned earlier) is requesting a trade. I don't know how likely that is b/c most teams have rosters at this point with cap issues.

2. Part of the issue is that the Revs have played hardball in the past, Joseph in particularly made little money so it's not like the organization has a lot of credibility when they say "we'll do right by you--just trust us."

3. The argument that his employer is still MLS so a trade makes to no difference is falacious. The vast majority of the time now, when a team recommends a salary, the league signs off on it. If NE went to the league and said "give the guy the MLS maximum salary plus bonuses" then you have to believe it would happen if the team put their weight behind it. Likewise, the Goff blog said that the transfer to Celtic would have happened if NE had told the league "yes". So fair or not, Joseph has to be pretty PO'ed at the Revs right now.

4. Who would be likely trade candidates?
    --I doubt TFKAM. Reyna really plays a smilar role in some ways to Joseph in that he's very comfortable playing further back (though Joseph is a true D-mid) and TFKAM is very happy with Dema Kovalenko in central mid. Their issue is they need another striker.
    --RSL could use Joseph but don't have the cap room.
    --DCU have enough cap room to sign him to a max salary, have plenty of allocations but really have a surpluse of D-mids. You're right, none of them are in the class of Shalrie Joseph and if you added him to the DCU roster, well...that would be amazing for the kind of support Gomez would get. But I don't see DCU being interested.
    --TFC already has used an allocation on a SI D-mid and has Edu as backup so while Joseph would be superior to them all, that's not where they need help.
    --Chicago: can't see them trading for Joseph when they have Armas (and again, Armas isn't in his class but you can't have your two D-mids making a total of $600k).
    --Houston: Shalrie is good but Ricardo Clark is a lot cheaper and thus a better value.
    --LAG doesn't have the cap room.
    --FCD could be a good candidate (especially with Valakari gone). He's no Edgar Davids but he's not a bad replacement.
    --I couldn't begin to guess about Colorado, Chivas, KC and Columbus.

This comes at a terrible time for NE. The transfer window to Europe is closed so you can't sell him to Celtic (or someone else). For cap reasons, I'm not sure how many sides in MLS are viable options (and even then, at this stage what you'd likely get from most MLS sides would be draft picks and marginal players or maybe a salary for salary trade). What would have probably had been better for NE is a Euro transfer (b/c you can then use that allocation $ to acquire a decent player). But now that would be off until August.

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me see your facts. I want to see where you found that Kraft thinks Shalrie is from Jamaica. Show me where you found him saying he doesn't care about this team. Please, cause I'm dieing to read this.

And WHAT THE F*CK does Liverpool and You'll Never Walk Alone have to do with Shalrie and this situation. I'm sick of people who says this is the way to be passionate of the game. If you love it so much, get on the next flight and go live in Liverpool and sing your song. For me I'll stick to "From The Halls of Foxboro Stadium".

13. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Sharlie,
    the MVP
    Just give 'im the DAMN MONEY!! :mad:

14. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Motherf***er!

Ugh, this sucks.

If the Revs and/or MLS are going to turn down big cash from Europe for their players, they better be willing to pay up to keep them in MLS.

15. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok Ok..I've never actually heard Kraft say that Sharlie was from Jamaica. And..you're right this has nothing to do with Liverpool, for heaven's sake!

But, no one..NO ONE..is going to ever sway my opinion of this Owner when it comes to this game or team. PERIOD.

Plus, me not seeing him at the MLS CHAMPIONSHIP game, also isn't proof that he wasn't there. For all I know, he could have been in one of the "Billionaire's Lux BOxes"...I have no proof.

I only have the proof of how I feel. And I feel that this owner is full of BS. Plain and simple. Nothing much I can do about it..other than state my opinion of him and his organization. I'd love to see the MLS impose a 1 sport rule to the ownership of teams..but that would be totally wishing for "no place like home". Therefore, I have to put up with his disrespectful antics and decisions regarding this team. I have to pretty much take it up the wazoo, but it doesn't mean I have to shut up about it..Cuz I won't.

Kraft doesn't deserve this team, but there aren't any options for us.

16. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    between replacing the field with that turf crap and losing clint.. now being cheap about Shalrie? I know, my team right or wrong, but it seriously has me wondering why I pay to support this team.

17. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I could see Shalrie to RSL for someone like Cunningham or Adu and some draft picks. I'd take Mehdi Balouchy, Nik Besagno and Jamie Watson, in addition to a high draft pick (1st or 2nd round) for next year's draft. It would give us three young nationally capped (at the youth level) players, two of which are American. I think Besagno could eventually fill in that DM slot, and with Leonard back, he could fill it in for now. It's not the ideal trade for Shalrie, but after about 5 minutes of contemplating a deal, I came up with that. I don't think RSL would give up that much youth for someone of Shalrie's age, but if we're letting him go, we're getting something out of it

EDIT: Fozzie, at least they're not on your skin for life *sighs*

18. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DP Rule was started to bring in "name" players and from what I've heard and read...To bring up the quality of this league. What did they think?..that the good MLS players were just going to be happy with seeing Big Money Players come in get the $$, while they give all of their heart and soul and play for shoes and an occasional buffet dinner. This thing may indeed be a big wakeup call for MLS.

Not giving someone like Sharlie the $$ he deserves will cause a real rift. The problem the Revs have is that they have a good number of players who deserve good money. And the problem with the Sal Cap and the DP rule, means that some of them may need to leave...but who? and where?

19. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu makes over 500k. I'm sure Dorman, Hernandez and Ralston are going to love having him on the team.

Plain and simple here guys. The "marginal" players have been asked for years to "hang in there" "suck it up" "your day will come"...Yea right. All I see is a large group of players getting sick of the antics and downright lies. What will then happen is some strike..and guess who really loses???? yea..us, the fans.

20. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2006, he was not. 2005, however, he was, and chatted with the fans who came to watch the team practice the day before.

I don't really care one way or the other which link in the team management chain is responsible for this--more than likely it's a combination of several--but the only correct course of action is for them to max out Shalrie's paycheck immediately. I'm not kidding when I say everyone should flood the 877GETREVS switchboard tomorrow morning with polite but firm reminders that the fans want to see our guys get their due.

(I said polite and I meant it--don't harass the poor ticket reps, but just a call to say "Give our Shalrie a raise" will make the point).

21. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Ya, but Adu would draw some crowds up here, Shalrie won't. Shalrie is my favorite player in the world, I love the guy, but he's a guy that doesn't get much credit for what he does, but you can't argue the fact that a 17 year old U-20 captain that can draw a crowd would be a bad addition.

22. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I highly doubt RSL would trade Adu away; he has been a key part of their marketing this offseason, and I don't think it was a coincidence he was traded as the RSL's financial books were being made public to the powers that be in Salt Lake County.

Besides, Adu is as good as gone once he turns 18.

23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    sighs

Some may recall that the subject of SJ's happiness (Who is Sharlie, BTW?) came up earlier. Dr. Jay commented that as he had just been done out of a huge paycheck from Celtic, not to mention a chance to play on a much bigger stage, so how did one guess he would feel?

This should come as no surprise.

Count me as amazed - they spend the off-season amassing money, and then won't keep their best player. Could someone fill me in on what we're saving the cap money for?

24. Kanell17

Kanell17 New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Burbank, CA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Armas or Shalrie Joseph . . . hmm . . .

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! GIVE HIM THE MONEY!

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Adu would draw crowds for one simple reason, because he's Freddy Adu, and the hype would compell fans to show up.

Shalrie's the real deal, deserves much, much more respect from the Revolution, and I'd take him any day of the week and three times on Sunday over Adu.

He leads by example, he's earned the captaincy, and God Damn it, the organization owes him the respect.

The Magpie