Colorado Rapids Off-season Roster moves 2006/2007 Part 2

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by prk166, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I would say acknowledges rather than "confirms". Confirms, to me anyway, implies a phrase or maybe even a complete sentence of explanation and we didn't get that.

"Gone from 2006 are players such as Defender Aitor Karanka, ..." And those are my quotes not the articles so they didn't even attribute that meager statement to FC.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Details. :)

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I think in this case, you're correct. FC didn't say it, but it sure seems to be true none the less.

I talk about Aitor and the changes to the Rapids defense here.

4. eRulz2

eRulz2 New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This seems to be a challenge for both the team and the player. Wasson is a solid 22 year old central midfielder, talent wise (Kyle, Pablo, Clint) the deepest position on the Rapids. If the team can get him to accept a developmental contract, it frees up a full roster spot for an extra outside defender or forward, the 2 biggest holes. This would give the team an extra body to evaluate for another month. This has to be frustrating for Wasson. I hope the team can figure out a way to keep this kid. He's going to be an all-star some day.

Other observations:
    Clint should get a go at forward. When fit (I know, I know), he's a dynamic finisher and doesn't play enough 'd' in the mid. If he were in for Thiago last year, I think he gets to one half of the balls Thiago worked to get, but tallies 4x the goals. Also, he should take all direct free kicks.

Ugo is going to be a stud. Great speed and attitude.

If Hunter calms down, he'll be an everyday starter. It seems that sometimes he tries for something extra, when his regular game is good enough. Great help side defender.

Jovan should have to wear an orange cap.

and, finally, We're going to miss Joe.

Go Rapids!

5. RedFive

RedFive Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody see Clints new team picture? 5'-10" 170 lbs, yeah right!

6. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes I have and I question his age too.

Talk about rode hard and put away wet, because that leather looks like it came off a 100 year old cow. :D

7. waterboy16

waterboy16 New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    So do the Rapids still have an SI spot open? Given that they seem to be happy with their improvement at other positions, is it possible that the SI spot could be used on a keeper? It seems like a waste, but that seems like the position with the biggest question mark. Are there any obvious DP or SI targets (goalkeeper or otherwise) that would be out of contract in May?

8. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    There is one now.... Barthez....UG!

9. RedFive

RedFive Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Black Panther is reporting that Daniel Wasson and the Rapids have come to an agreement. Is prk the Black Panther?

10. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for pointing that out RedFive. Yes, that is indeed prk's blog. prk, thanks for the glimmer of hope to brighten my dull Thursday. Yay for Daniel!! I hope this turns out to be true, but there's nothing about it on the Rapids site. :confused:

11. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    And how is that any different than normal?

I would like it to be true. Wasson was one of my favorite young players on the team.

12. RedFive

RedFive Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So whats up with Thornton? We have his rights but is he going to play? If he does play for us we should think about amending the words of my third favorite chant of all time...

"Zack Thornton, he's big, he's fat, they put him in the back"

13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    From MLS News and analysis:

"Inbound

Colorado
    Roberto Brown (Tacuarembó FC - Uruguay)
    Nico Colaluca (draft)
    John DiRairmondo (draft)
    Herculez Gomez (trade w/LA)
    Justin Hughes (draft)
    Ugo Ihemelu (trade w/LA)
    Kosuke Kimura (draft)
    Nick LaBrocca (draft)
    Yherland McDonald (Fredrikstad FK - Norway)
    Brandon Prideaux (trade w/DC)
    Zach Thornton (trade w/Chicago)
    Greg Vanney (trade w/Dallas)"

That list is 12 guys, in another thread it was derived that there are 13 returning players (2 have been here more than 2 years!) and Wasson wasn't in either of those counts. If Dalby signs that gets it to 27 but who is number 28? I'm hoping it's someone with the nickname of "DP Uberstryker" or "DP Sinisterwynger".

14. soccer 1st

soccer 1st New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Rooney
    Wasson did sign as did Clark. They signed as a (SD) senior developmental players which means they will be paid a little more money.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Clark was counted among the 13 returning, Thornton is on the list from N&A and I added Wasson so I think as comprehensive as we can get is 26, 27 if Dalby would sign. Would the mystery player sign in please ... Or else Fabrice shouldn't have been cut so soon -- although for what it is worth the only player picked up in the waiver draft was Busch.

Any number crunchers interested in trying to figure out where we are for cap space? (Did Aitor really want more than we could have possibly given him?)

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to mention that at a meeting I attended earlier this week, Herc Gomez said he's been enjoying playing on the left wing during pre-season. That being said, Robbie Rogers is going to Columbus. Maybe another one of their young midfielders are available to help on the left side...Eddie Gaven or Ned Grabavoy could certainly spice up the Rapids midfield.

17. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Wasson is back FANTASTIC. I thought it was strange when he originally wasn't on the roster as I remeber reading that when asked about young players the team thought would make a step up this year Murphy mentioned Clarck and Wasson.

Interesting about Herc playing on the left. Didn't he play up top or on the right for LA?

Also sopeaking of youth players is this year Keel's make or break year? He has been in the reserves for 2 years now without getting any first team minutes (maybe he got a couple but nothing significant). If he doesn't get any minutes this year is that it for him?

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Who is he kidding.. He knows he means the highest "level" of pay not level of play...Over there they can't make mistakes because there is someone else to take the place and only in America is 33 not the end of a career. The scenario will be .. He calls agent get me a DP slot in USA so I can get all that money and coast on the field for some of the games.. All I am really suppose to do is bring in fans to the stands!!!

20. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Sure Roberto Carlos would be great, but do the Rapids really need another defender? ;)

21. waterboy16

waterboy16 New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I'd like to see Roberto Carlos....isn't this the same guy that can work magic on free kicks? A guy who could provide quality service from the left side? Probably boost ticket sales a bit?

22. waterboy16

waterboy16 New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    On another note, I also notice that Dallas have two "starting" keepers with Sala and Hislop. Sala is suspended for 6 games, but seems to have won the starting job. Would Hislop be worth a look if Bouna/Thornton don't make the grade?

23. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, Hislop was signed to a pretty hefty contract. I doubt the Rapids would want to take it on.

24. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quality difference between US bred field players and others remains high, whereas, US GK are as good or better than most others which mitigates against signing a foreign goalkeeper. IMO, Red Bulls and Dallas have wasted a very valueable slot or 2.

I now add to my mantra "NO SI BENCH PLAYERS" the corollary NO SI GOALKEEPERS!"

25. eRulz2

eRulz2 New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Hunter got traded to New York. Anyone have details?