Rapids Name Change Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by prk166, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    If we have some partnership with Arsenal ... I'm 100% behind the name change.

2. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    ditto. and have been since day 1.

3. area815

area815 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking at the announcement on MLSNet.com, but I don't see any link to buy a Rapids jersey or season tickets... ;)

4. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Partnership with Arsenal FC and name change to Arsenal Colorado FC is great move. Cool name and stifles all arguments that it's a poser name.

I'm anxious to hear the FO's explanation for the delay and hope it's very dramatic. I love the drama!

RSL stadium, Rapids rebranding/partnership, Beckham coming!

This is truly the best MLS off-season ever!

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    The announcement is up on rapids.com (;)).

The interesting part is the news conference will be live on Altitude.

6. Project2010

Project2010 New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, i think the name change is a bit desperate sounding. I mean its basically bowing down to Arsenal FC as the lord and savior. They are a great club with lots of tradition, but give yourselves a chance to build your own. How do you think the brits will look at this? You think they will take this team seriously?

oy vey!

7. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

[​IMG]

except that
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------HERE--------------------------------^
    it says ARSENALCOLORADO.COM

Therefore a safe bet that it will be Arsenal Colorado FC makes sense.
    :)

Also there is the fact that only ONE Kronke owned domain was registered ColoradoArsenal.com while the rest were ArsenalColorado.com , ArsenalColoradoFC.com , ArsenalColorado.US , ArsenalColorado.net , ArsenalColoradoFC.net - etc and the ArsenalColorado ones were more recent registrations.

Looks like they covered all bases for Arsenal Colorado but not Colorado Arsenal.

The preponderance of the evidence points to a name change to ArsenalColorado not Colorado Arsenal.

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Thanks, but why the (&^() should we care what "the brits" think?

Why do you care?

9. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    I can think of worse clubs to be associated with. The fact is Arsenal is a global brand with a lot of name recognition that says Soccer, Rapids was not and was likely not going to be one for a long time. Rapids could have been anything from Baseball to a skeet shooting team.

the first time Arsenal Colorado beats a british team they will......then they will say 'ah, well it was just a friendly. meant nothing really.' :p

10. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so tired of the MLS copying European names. I like the name the Rapids. It sounds American, it ties in with the surrounding area, keep it. Arsenal Colardo FC sounds stupid. I hate the name FC Dallas, I hate the name Real Salt Lake, I hate Chivas USA. If they do change the name, it's just stupid.

11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The KSE marketing geniuses strike again.

+ "a groundbreaking international soccer partnership" Yep, groundbreaking, just like all the other international soccer partnerships that other teams have previously entered into. (I'm all for the idea of international partnerships. I'd just prefer that they get a grip and admit that it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's just a business deal, and Kroenke's franchise most assuredly will be the junior partner.)

+ "Fans will be able to watch the press conference live via TV on Altitude Sports & Entertainment or streaming video of the conference online at www.MLSNet.com." World class. They can find airtime on their own network to televise the press conference but they can't televise a road game. Awesome marketing strategy.

+ "WHERE: Lexus Club (formerly the Ridgeline)" Nice. They even renamed the stupid location.

+ "Media only invited to attend." Notice that fans specifically are NOT allowed to attend. This means that His Royal Highness, Kroenke I, does not want any pesky longtime fans booing his announcement. Then again, if he destroys the Rapids he will have fewer pesky longtime fans to contend with.

After the last two weeks of cluster blunders by KSE, wouldn't it be fitting if the media found something better to do than attend Kroenke's conference like, say, alphabetizing their sock drawers?

12. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Well it seems inevitable now - name change & partnership. If we are going to hav a relationsip w/ Aresenal - then great -but what happens when/if the relationship ends -another rebranding?

I kinda doubt that the announcement will address the SNAFUs that occured - but hopefully someone from the FO will let us know what happened.

Now - where is our new jerseys availble for purchase? Maybe that was the holdup all along - they wanted to make sure they actually had some availble for purchase when they announced the change? Nah, too logical?

jeff

13. burmm

burmm Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Real is Spanish. Chivas sounds like a farm club. I can tolerate FC Dallas. I hate the thought of the Rapids being named after an English team. Where's the tradition in that? Will we get to borrow Henry, doubt it.
    I've been a fan for a long time (since the beginning really) and I've wanted improvements in the coverage and interest in the Rapids and think that change is good but I am really bothered by a name change.... I don't think it's a step that will really improve anything.
    the STADIUM, however, will and is awesome so maybe I can live with some some euro wannabe name but I hope hope hope that we'll stick with the original.... I think a lot of the original fans will agree.

14. rolladams

rolladams Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Arvada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better to be the Arse than the Crap(id) that comes out of it... I'm psyched.

15. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Actually it was also announced that all MLS games would be televised this year. Let it go, changes for the better, seems to be coming

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fully behind this if the international partnership is significant. I want something more than the "partnership" between FSL and Real Madrid.

Even without that though, I prefer claret and blue Arsenal Colorado to claret and blue Colorado Rapids. Of course, I prefer green/black/blue Colorado Rapids to claret and blue Arsenal Colorado.

17. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I swear I hope you drop your season tickets to make room for someone who actually will be excited to be there AND so you can stop bitching........

18. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kroenke's antics guarantee that there will be plenty of room for his cheerleaders.

19. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, I know players have not since been exchanged, but with the just approved stadium deal:

RSL and RM would have a youth academy in Salt Lake

RM would come to opening game in new stadium

RSL would build 12 soccer fields as part of this partnership

RSL/MLS and RM future friendlies are to follow in SLC

I dunno, but that is a good partership for a team that is barely 3 years old.

20. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    only 12 fields? lightweights.....;)

Colorado 6:32 Twice as nice........

21. FC Denver

FC Denver Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Denver
  22. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone confirm this...

...because that would be interesting if it was MLS that held this up. Although I admit much of the rest of the article appears to be written by someone who is just making things up!!

23. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    [​IMG]

hmmm
    you be the judge!
    is this one of the colors of the new Colorado?

24. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't what I was asking confirmation for...

That color is NOT the official color of Arsenal. It was only used last year!!