Rapids Name Change Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by prk166, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That leaves only 359 days to the big announcement.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    So 3 of KSE's marketers walk into a bar...

3. area815

area815 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm soooooooooo tempted to see if they show up, but if I've come to expect anything from the Front Office, it's dissappointment. Watch - they'll show up for the faithful fans with the new logo, kits and Theo Walcott.

4. InExile

InExile New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    I like it. I didn't like it on the 1st and the 2nd when they royally let us down but now I like it. The information is starting to come about the team. There certainly is fan involvement a long ways ahead of any other previous year. We have two threads from the last week with 10,000 views and another with 6,000. And we are only in the second day of pre-season practice with snow on the fields and indoor gym training. I actually like indoor gym training, myself but for all of you I'm sure if you stopped and thought about it for a minute you'd realize that is boring stuff and yet here we are, checking, reading, posting, waiting and maybe getting closer and having some fun. Is it working? You tell me. Were you all over it last year the second day of pre-season training? Maybe you were, I wasn't. Yet here I am this year, no longer pissed, waiting for the next tidbit or morsel. It's ON and I'll be here, lurking and smiling, just a little bit more every day.:cool: Oh yeah - Don't care either way about a name change and I am thrilled about the increased TV coverage for the league this year. I inked in on the calendar all the games I will watch this year compared to the two I saw last year. Another couple of years and there will be a dedicated sports network team that will have all the games available for viewing one way or another. Maybe KSE will lead the way.

5. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    You don't think this is due to the interest outside the area to see if you are going to try to piggyback off of an established soccer team that a great deal of fans and some non-soccer fans have heard of??? I mean you don't really think that you've suddenly found a few thousand news fans do you?

6. InExile

InExile New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Thirty of those views are mine. I'm dial-up. I'm sure there are plenty of members with 30 or more views over the last 5-6 days. Who besides you said anything about new fans. I'm merely talking about a high, high volume of activity.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Don't forget about all the views and posts from those in KSE and the marketers working for KSE.

8. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think they should change the heading on the Rapids site. Instead of saying "It's World Game Week and you are experiencing it" it should read "It's Weak And You're Experiencing It".

9. area815

area815 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any dirt from anyone who went to Casey's? I really thought today would be the day - that's a lucky seven times a sucker for me!

10. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I am a little dumbfounded that we have heard nothing from anyone who went to Casey's. I hoped that a meeting with RFO personnel might shine a little light on a very dark corner. I anticipated that all the supposition about getting the info out for the US vs. Mexico match might be accurate, but obviously, that had no impact. I still look at the emblem and see my mother's maiden name in Russian. I hope tomorrow finally will bring us something.

11. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    It does seem curious... what kind of turnout was there? I know that the C-Firm had a decent turnout at the Bulldog (though I and mine couldn't go).

Is there something in this (or are the Casey's folks still partying and unable to post?)?

G'Day...Ron :confused:

12. Taylor FC

Taylor FC New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Commerce City, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't at Casey's, but I did talk to my season ticket rep yesterday (Wednesday). I asked him/her when the announcement would happen, and they said "this week." I said 'can you tell me what the new name will be?' and they replied " I can't. <dramatic pause> Maybe there is no name change..."
    I was then asked what I thought about the whole process; the announcements, etc. I voiced my great displeasure at the whole " Change is coming 2.1.07" ...blah, blah, blah.
    We then discussed how humerous it is to read the message boards.

With only 2 days left this week, I would think we'll find out the name by Friday. Maybe tommorrows announcement is a press conference on Friday?!?

13. NYC10

NYC10 New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Northeast USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally I can see the ball has stopped and the letters are changing in the shield... that wasn't happening for me yesterday.

14. DrGuinness

DrGuinness Home & Abroad

Apr 8, 2005
    Greeley, CO
    What am I? A clown? Here for your amusement?

[​IMG]

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had people at Casey's text me any news, since I was at the game, alas they said they got noting out of the FO staff.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they were at the Bulldog, not Casey's

So on the afternoon of 2-1-07, the following poll was put on coloradorapids.com:

Unless there's an announcement today, the only "correct" answer to the poll was "Not soon enough".

Oh, and check the detail under the headline

(Bold mine)

Yep, Rapids.com...

17. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    This is dragging out insanely long. First I was mad, and then I was intrigued as I thought over the possible good things that a name change\team relationship might represent, then I was excited, and now, I am mad again. Since this is called Today's World's Game Week Announcement, I will give them this week, through tomorrow, and then I will forget about it. It is even more insulting to me that I hear again and again that the RFO people just think this is funny, both from posters, and people I know at KSE. It only seems to reinforce the notion that they have little understanding of how important soccer is to many of us, and how tired we are of being jerked around. It is painful for me to stay away, I love Big Soccer, but if it is the only way I can get the message across, after tomorrow, I will stay away until something finally happens. Maybe the only way we can let them know this has to stop is by our stopping the hits, here and on the Rapids website. My greatest fear is that after all this hype, nothing more will happen than Cleetus wearing powder blue and claret shoes.:mad:

18. FloatingPoint

FloatingPoint Member

Jul 12, 2003
    If there wasn't a name change, wouldn't you feel like you had your chained yanked? Personally, it'd tick me off.

19. area815

area815 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad they think it's funny - but they aren't getting my money this year. That will cover a lot of trips to the art museum, the opera, and charitable functions - among other things. Thank you, CRFO, for making me a better person!

20. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What it says to me is that they don't take their own team, job or the fans seriously, and they could really care less one way or another. Sadly, behavior such as that is more than likely to rub off on other areas, such as effort put into building a competitive team.

21. Love Football

Love Football Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Longmont, Co
    In defense of my RFO ticket rep, he has been very sympathetic to the heartache I have been going through. He has obviously read my posts on BS and really does understand how hurt I will/would be if I have to call my beloved Rapids a name I associate with a team I dispise. That is really all I am looking for, someone within KSE who gives a shit about my feelings. I can adapt to almost anything, as long as I have someone who is at least sympathetic. Thanks Marcus!

Tina

22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I have thought that if through a thread or personal messages all of the 'regulars' (we know who we are) just stopped posting to anything here they might get a sense of our frustration at their unprofessional afterthought-ish approach to this. Or at least they would see that their interest-generator had ceased to function. The January and February 2007 registrants could and probably would keep posting but if a bunch of them are sock puppets or whatever the value of the content here might approach next to nothing. (I mean even less than usual! ;>)) Right now it is a very joyous and busy time at the Men's team forum and I could just skip entirely or read only here for a while if it might make a point? They really need to schedule a press conference, have it when they say they will and announce the changes.

23. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    longest drum-roll ever.

24. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    Are you guys actually aware that Rapids is also a ripped-off name?

[​IMG]

25. FC Denver

FC Denver Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Denver
    I completely agree Tina. I am Flexible with whatever name our team ends up being ( I personally would like a name change). However, the handling of this issue by the RFO has been disastrous. I'm not one to jump to conclusions about why this happened, so I'll wait and see, but I think the RFO owes us, as dedicated fans, an explanation/apology after this is all said and done.

I don't think that is too much to ask.